Habs just picked up someone off waivers

Habsterr

I seldom feel sorry for any professional athlete, but my heart goes out a bit now to Leighton, who’s already being heckled by Canadiens fans before he even gets on a plane to fly to Hamilton, before he ever makes it to Montreal. Like it’s his fault that he was the Canadiens’ only move while others around them were engaged in a buying or selling frenzy.

Stubbs's Bleu, Blogue, Rouge: Fans waitin' got Leighton

:clap:

I was impressed with the few minutes I saw from Leighton in a Predators uniform. I saw him in the OHL, in the summer of '98 (Back then I thought I was going to steal his OHL job, I thought my glove was way better! not kidding ;)) I was lucky to see him in the AHL as well, but that's been a while. Maybe I'm biased, but I don't think so.

He is a good goalie. Too bad he's already written off without one single minute of icetime.

We are living in strange times.

If it can be any consolation, I am a fan.

Bienvenue.

:hlogo:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stubbs's Bleu, Blogue, Rouge: Fans waitin' got Leighton

:clap:

I was impressed with the few minutes I saw from Leighton in a Predators uniform. I saw him in the OHL, in the summer of '98 (Back then I thought I was going to steal his OHL job, I thought my glove was way better! not kidding ;)) I was lucky to see him in the AHL as well, but that's been a while. Maybe I'm biased, but I don't think so.

He is a good goalie. Too bad he's already written off without one single minute of icetime.

We are living in strange times.

If it can be any consolation, I am a fan.

Bienvenue.

:hlogo:

I am not writing him off. The argument is he does not help Montreal in any way this season.

To believe otherwise is ridiculously optimistic. When you need a stop gap solution at goalie and pick up a 25 year old who has been with 5 teams what is to be expected? A parade?

I'm excited to see this guy play but I believe he'll play on the farm (Danis's injured) and he'll only get called up if Halak or Aebischer go down to injury (or become too unbearably horrible to even dress).

Back to the waivers topic.

There are no more waivers after the trade deadline. There is no movement of players from one NHL team to another. Anybody and their uncle can be demoted to the minors without being lost after today. As long as the NHL roster remains below the salary cap they can keep extra players on the team. Teams placed many guys on waivers yesterday for a couple reasons...either they were planning to be over the 23 man roster limit at 3pm today or they were trying to shed salary. Notice how Kostitsyn was recalled again today.

The Habs have the salary room to keep Leighton and others on the team.

If I am wrong please shed some light on the issue.

http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?showtopic=10865

I almost feel Leighton is a slap in the face for the fans of Montreal. Though I think Gainey did it cause the Flyers didn't return his calls re Forsberg

Yeah, there's the ultimate revenge. Snag the guy they're trying to get rid of. That'll teach 'em.

I don't think they were trying to get rid of him. He had to go through waivers after they got another goalie. They were probably talking to two or three teams about a goalie, and had to make room for whomever they got.

They got him because Aebischer was atrocious last night.

And Danis is hurt.

And they got two raw rookies in Hamilton.

And Huet's out for the rest of the regular season.

And another raw rookie is out-playing the starting back-up.

Leighton is a decent pickup, will probably play out the year in Hamilton and will be the #1 or split with Danis next year.. although he could end up backup in Montreal, but I think that may go to Halak.. remember Abby is leaving as UFA at the end of the year.