Habs just picked up someone off waivers

Habsterr

Leighton is for the NHL. With Halak with the big club, and Danis injured, the Dogs had no legitimate AHL goalie to lead the way. Also, if need be, the Habs could call up both Danis and Halak and not be deep-sixing the Dog's playoff hopes.

My thinking on the day is that Bob didn't want to mortgage our future, and that he will run with the horses he has.

Also, the Rivet deal, I think San Jose prizes Rivet more than we do. We got great return on him, and Gorges will probably do no worse (if he does, these is always Niinima).

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, your standards are very low man. You must be far less frustrated than I am today, watching our adversaries sign guys like Ryan Smyth.

You do realize this is the same Leighton that got shelled by the Laffs twice this month, dont you??

Playing for Philadelphia, the league doormats. Ken Dryden in his prime would look awful on that team. Prior to that Leighton had the dubious pleasure of playing for the Chicago Black Hawks who were as bad then as the Flyers are now.

Halak can't "carry the load", and management doesn't expect him to. I would bet money that he goes back to Hamilton and Leighton and Aebisher share the load for the balance of the season and whatever playoff games they manage. Halak is a good young prospect, but when it comes to the crunch Carbo is going to go with the NHL tested guys, and David Aebischer and Michael Leighton are the best options there.

LOL, Leighton just got dumped by the worst team in the NHL and is on his 3rd team this year.

What are you smoking? If we run with Abby and Leighton we are finished.

Playing for Philadelphia, the league doormats. Ken Dryden in his prime would look awful on that team. Prior to that Leighton had the dubious pleasure of playing for the Chicago Black Hawks who were as bad then as the Flyers are now.

Man, I watched him play those games for philly...he may be someday, but is not now an NHL caliber goalie....not even close.

I am once again very confused by our management's decisions. Conflicting and confusing at best.

LOL, Leighton just got dumped by the worst team in the NHL and is on his 3rd team this year.

What are you smoking? If we run with Abby and Leighton we are finished.

Buffalo got Domenik Hasak off waivers when he was 25 or so. Nashville got Tomas Vokoun off waivers. Goalies are all over the map during their career for the most part. Brian Boucher was also on waivers, and a few years back he was considered a franchise goaltender in the making. I wouldn't sweat it. 90% of the trade deadline acquisitions don't make an iota of difference to the team's success and just end up getting dumped the following year. Go to forecaster.ca/cbc/hockey and look back at last year's trade deadline deals if you want a good laught.

Man, I watched him play those games for philly...he may be someday, but is not now an NHL caliber goalie....not even close.

I am once again very confused by our management's decisions. Conflicting and confusing at best.

I used to admonish Leaf fans for thinking everything they got back was a steal.

Last season Suglobov was a steal, :blink: if Lou Lamierello gave him up for Ken Klee there was a reason.

Thinking that Leighton is actually going to make a difference is worse.

Expect what he has delivered in the NHL. And hope for the best. Not the other way around.

He has 8 career wins in 43 starts. .900 SV% and a 3.00 Plus GAA.

And for every Dominik Hasek and Tomas Vokoun there are 50 guys who disappeared into the AHL never to appear again. I guess if we pick up a 5'7' forward I could say he could be a stud because of Martin St. Louis,

but the odds of that are about .5% and that may be high

Edited by Wamsley01

He has 8 career wins in 43 starts. .900 SV% and a 3.00 Plus GA

Those numbers are a bit dated, but compare them to the other Chicago goalies at the time. Like Jocelyn Thibault for instance. I bet Thibault's numbers were as bad or worse over the same period for the same team.

And for every Dominik Hasek and Tomas Vokoun there are 50 guys who disappeared into the AHL never to appear again. I guess if we pick up a 5'7' forward I could say he could be a stud because of Martin St. Louis,

but the odds of that are about .5% and that may be high

No one is asking or expecting Leighton to become the next Hasak or Vokoun. All he is being asked to do is back up the team's co-number one netminder, Aebisher, for the balance of the season while the other co-number one guy Huet recovers from injury.

Those numbers are a bit dated, but compare them to the other Chicago goalies at the time. Like Jocelyn Thibault for instance. I bet Thibault's numbers were as bad or worse over the same period for the same team.

No one is asking or expecting Leighton to become the next Hasak or Vokoun. All he is being asked to do is back up the team's co-number one netminder, Aebisher, for the balance of the season while the other co-number one guy Huet recovers from injury.

Abby and Leighton are 2 guys with ZERO confidence right now. Let's hope to God that Halak emerges as our number 1

Buffalo got Domenik Hasak off waivers when he was 25 or so. Nashville got Tomas Vokoun off waivers. Goalies are all over the map during their career for the most part. Brian Boucher was also on waivers, and a few years back he was considered a franchise goaltender in the making. I wouldn't sweat it. 90% of the trade deadline acquisitions don't make an iota of difference to the team's success and just end up getting dumped the following year. Go to forecaster.ca/cbc/hockey and look back at last year's trade deadline deals if you want a good laught.

Buffalo didn't get Hasek off waivers, they traded G Stephane Beauregard and a 4th round pick in the 1993 draft (which became Eric Daze) to Chicago for him.

Dominik Hasek

And Vokoun wasn't a waiver pick-up either. Nashville took him in the 1998 expansion draft.

Tomas Vokoun

Edited by RobRock

The point is Thibault sucks. He is an average NHL goalie. He is no better than Yann Danis therefore if we improved it will not even be noticeable.

Buffalo didn't get Hasek off waivers, they traded G Stephane Beauregard and a 4th round pick in the 1993 draft (which became Eric Daze) to Chicago for him.

Dominik Hasek

And Vokoun wasn't a waiver pick-up either. Nashville took him in the 1998 expansion draft.

Tomas Vokoun

Expansion draft is pretty much waivers but you are correct.

Fans are in a tizzy because 'everyone else got better.' Funny, I remember the start of the season, hearing about how teams like Boston were so much better than us because they'd 'added talent.' These late-season acquisitions are not always money in the bank. And no amount of Guerin will help us from crappy netminding anyway.

Besides, it doesn't matter who we add in the short term: this team is not a serious contender. So, to give up young guys for rentals, that's just stupid. Today's results are very reassuring in a way, in as much as they show that

-Bob understands that this team is more than one or two rentals away from a realistic Cup shot

and

-Bob really is interested in building a bona fide Cup contender with youth.

I'm more worried about the failure to get young talent back for Souray. He'd better sign with us, or this will be a major mistake; but not being a big buyer today? Not a mistake.

The point is Thibault sucks. He is an average NHL goalie. He is no better than Yann Danis therefore if we improved it will not even be noticeable.

Funny you ragging on the goalies, with your Avatar...Wamsley wasn't a star in this league either........

Fans are in a tizzy because 'everyone else got better.' Funny, I remember the start of the season, hearing about how teams like Boston were so much better than us because they'd 'added talent.' These late-season acquisitions are not always money in the bank. And no amount of Guerin will help us from crappy netminding anyway.

Besides, it doesn't matter who we add in the short term: this team is not a serious contender. So, to give up young guys for rentals, that's just stupid. Today's results are very reassuring in a way, in as much as they show that

-Bob understands that this team is more than one or two rentals away from a realistic Cup shot

and

-Bob really is interested in building a bona fide Cup contender with youth.

I'm more worried about the failure to get young talent back for Souray. He'd better sign with us, or this will be a major mistake; but not being a big buyer today? Not a mistake.

I think the goaltending and Souray situation are precisely what the fans are in a "tizzy" about.

I'm ok with keeping Souray, but not with Abby and Leighton behind him. It seems like we could have found an unexpensive fix for this problem, but did not

I don't think Bob would be giving the future away if he dealt a 3rd rounder for Joseph or Belfour.

All the analyst seem shocked that Gainey didn't get that rental goalie since he lost Huet.

A more realistic scenario than stealing teams' #1 goalies for a 3rd round pick, is the Ty Conklin scenario. I doubt that you could get a goalie with a better profile than Aebischer for garbage.

A lot of Montreal's best playoff performances over th years have come with a young netminder performing beyond expectation. Dryden, Vachon, Roy, Theodore, even Steve Penny one year, I think. I can't recall a single instance where the Habs, or any other team for that matter, went on an extended playoff run with an ancient rental goalie. What makes anyone think that is the answer?

I don't think Bob would be giving the future away if he dealt a 3rd rounder for Joseph or Belfour.

All the analyst seem shocked that Gainey didn't get that rental goalie since he lost Huet.

Yeah - a 3rd round pick gets you Ty Conklin. Sheesh.

A lot of Montreal's best playoff performances over th years have come with a young netminder performing beyond expectation. Dryden, Vachon, Roy, Theodore, even Steve Penny one year, I think. I can't recall a single instance where the Habs, or any other team for that matter, went on an extended playoff run with an ancient rental goalie. What makes anyone think that is the answer?

Roloson I believe he is about 37.

Funny you ragging on the goalies, with your Avatar...Wamsley wasn't a star in this league either........

As a 9 year old he was my idol and followed my other heroes, Denis Herron and Richard Sevigny and preceded Steve Penney and finally Patrick Roy.

And if you look at his stats...they are not to bad. As a habs 72-36-16 and for his career 204-131-46.

So unless Bobby is 9 years old, it is probably moot.

He is..

he is this because he's 25 and already on his 5th team, he is that because he has a 3.69 GAA in 4GP (195'), he sucks because he got pulled twice in one week, he sucks because.. he's not Ed Belfour :blink:

Pretty funny stuff.

Give this guy a break! He's 25 and a real good goalie.

Another good acquisition by the GM.

He is..

he is this because he's 25 and already on his 5th team, he is that because he has a 3.69 GAA in 4GP (195'), he sucks because he got pulled twice in one week, he sucks because.. he's not Ed Belfour :blink:

Pretty funny stuff.

Give this guy a break! He's 25 and a real good goalie.

Another good acquisition by the GM.

Maybe a decent acquisition long term, but he doesn't solve this year's goaltending problem.

Back to the waivers topic.

There are no more waivers after the trade deadline. There is no movement of players from one NHL team to another. Anybody and their uncle can be demoted to the minors without being lost after today. As long as the NHL roster remains below the salary cap they can keep extra players on the team. Teams placed many guys on waivers yesterday for a couple reasons...either they were planning to be over the 23 man roster limit at 3pm today or they were trying to shed salary. Notice how Kostitsyn was recalled again today.

The Habs have the salary room to keep Leighton and others on the team.

If I am wrong please shed some light on the issue.