Have they learned anything?

rafikz

A statement from Chris Simon

After watching the tape the morning after Thursday's game, I was disgusted. There is absolutely no place in hockey for what I did.

I want to apologize to Ryan Hollweg. I was grateful to learn that Ryan is okay and that he returned to the game. My hope is to reach out to him in the near future.

I want to apologize to my team and Islanders fans everywhere. My actions Thursday night played a major part in our team losing a crucial game. I also want to apologize to the National Hockey League for the damage I have caused this great game of ours.

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pressbox

To me, it was the same thing as Emery's slash on Lapierre and he only got 3 games. Simon will get more because Hollweg got hurt (but not too badly so the punishment will be reduced) and because Simon is a useless player whereas Emery is important to the Sens.

Then again, it was also similar to Perezhogin's slash that got him an entire season. The intent and time Simon had to think about what he was doing was more than Perezhogin had (his was really heat of the moment) and definitely less than Bertuzzi had (he chased Moore down the ice). If he's been given 23 games, I think that's fair, but it just makes the measley 3 games given to Emery even more embarassing.

Have the lawyers filed the paperwork yet?

As for the steroid explanation, are you implying that everyone who has a short temper is on steroids? It doesn't take much for me to fly off the handle, I'm about as far away as you could possibly be from a steroid user? Or does this only apply to athletes?

The circumstances add up.

Firstly the league has lax drug testing, secondly this is a sport that rewards brute strength, and thirdly Simon makes his living nowadays based on his size and willingness to fight and hit.

Now obviously none of these criteria would apply to yourself.

If you honestly believe that there is no performance enhancing steroid use in the NHL, you're living a fantasy. Several enforcers have admitted to steroid use, notably off the top of my head Andrew Peters of the Buffalo Sabres.

To me, it was the same thing as Emery's slash on Lapierre and he only got 3 games. Simon will get more because Hollweg got hurt (but not too badly so the punishment will be reduced) and because Simon is a useless player whereas Emery is important to the Sens.

The two incidents aren't even close. Emery slapped Lapierre with his stick whereas Simon swung pretty hard. If he had connected a little higher on the head or a little lower on the neck, Hollweg could have been seriously injured. Lapierre was in almost no danger of a serious injury.

P.S. Simon Suspended 25 games

The two incidents aren't even close. Emery slapped Lapierre with his stick whereas Simon swung pretty hard. If he had connected a little higher on the head or a little lower on the neck, Hollweg could have been seriously injured. Lapierre was in almost no danger of a serious injury.

Had Lapierre not been hit in the visor, the damage would have been atleast as bad as the "couple of stitches" Hollweg winded up with. The only difference was that Emery had one hand on the stick but even then it was full swing and it was with a goalie stick. Also Lapierre was on his knees right in front of Emery, which just makes it even worse since he was in a helpless position.

I agree BTH should Lapierre not been wearing a visor I believe the damage would have been much worse possibly season ending because that was a mighty execution style swing. Emery would have had at least 10 games if Lapierre would have been concussed and severly cut.

TSN says Simon got the rest of the season and all of the playoffs.

(a minimum of 25 games)

:clap::clap::clap:

that's a great suspension. well deserved. I hope in the future there will be more suspension like that given when needed.

I think the league felt they looked stupid after the jansen suspension and wanted to make a statement.

What I hope the league takes a look at is knee on knee contact.

Bouillon should have been suspended for what he did to Hossa last week. I am sick of average NHL players going after Star talent. Kneeing should not be a 2 minute penalty because if you hit a guy the wrong way you CAN END HIS CAREER.

For once they probably got it right - but I still don't think the NHL has learned anything?

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

What I hope the league takes a look at is knee on knee contact.

Bouillon should have been suspended for what he did to Hossa last week. I am sick of average NHL players going after Star talent. Kneeing should not be a 2 minute penalty because if you hit a guy the wrong way you CAN END HIS CAREER.

No hits to either the heads or the knees should be legal IMO, even if the guy getting hit does have his head down.

Ted Nolan: Suspension was too much

"Chris made a mistake. No one is here defending what happened or saying he shouldn't have been suspended. But it's obvious something wasn't right with him. I've known Chris since he was a teenager. He doesn't take out personal vendettas when it's 1-1 with six minutes left in the biggest game of the season against our biggest rival. That's just not the player or person he is."

"I was thinking (the suspension) would be 12 games. This way Chris would be out for the last two games we have against the Rangers at the Coliseum. Maybe the rest of the regular season. But not beyond that."