Boisclair refuses to apologize for remarks about Asians

Pierre the Great

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can sure you that here in Québec, 90% of Asians we met in the streets, business or anywhere, have almond shaped eyes. And THIS IS OUR DEFINITION OF "yeux bridés" who's been translated "slanting eyes" by the anglo medias. Because Boiclair never said slanting eyes, he said "yeux bridés".

Boiclair spend 1 year studying in Harvard, Boston, and succeed. Well, I think his english level might be good enough to potentially lead a frenchies majority province.

The point isn't that some have almond shaped eyes, or slit eyes, or round eyes. It is a stereotype, like saying white men can't jump, or asians are good at Science ... it generalizes too much. He shouldn't say it ... and neither should anyone else who wants there words to be taken seriously.

The point isn't that some have almond shaped eyes, or slit eyes, or round eyes. It is a stereotype, like saying white men can't jump, or asians are good at Science ... it generalizes too much. He shouldn't say it ... and neither should anyone else who wants there words to be taken seriously.

Come on, you're stretching it. I know it's somewhat of a hobby for anglo-canadians to paint francos as a racists as possible, but at least pick something worthy. There's not stereotypes in the words of Boisclair.

Get real.

I would be annoyed if he refused to apologize outright...period! I think he should apologize, something along the lines of...

"I will not apologize for making a point that was innocent and had been twisted in to another meaning due to poor translation created by possible political vandettas that are not my own. We all have our cultures that we can be proud of.

I am however sorry if my remarks might have upset some people. That was completely the opposite of what I am about and in no way would I ever ever do this intentionally, it was just an innocent mistake by me and was exploited by others"

Okay now its talk about the Midwest now.

"Those black people"

Now is that a racist word? No. But it implies racism. This is a common saying down here.

"Those black people" "Those turban heads" "Those mexicans"

These are common sayings among the people where I live.

Now are those racist words? No.

But they imply racism.

"I was shocked to see so many turbans at Harvard" or "I was shocked to see so many mexicans at Harvard"

Those are racist statements. Take turbans out and place 'slanted eyes' and you've got racial stereotyping.

Those are racist statements. Take turbans out and place 'slanted eyes' and you've got racial stereotyping.

Not sure what the intent was or where he was going with "yeux bridés" but if a similar comment was made by an anglo towards a franco in Quebec and the "translation" was misconstrued an apology would be warrented but yeah, it's only Asians, right?

That's the problem IMO, the PQ are inflexable I guess.

The intent is totally irrelevant. The result is what matters and the result is the Asian community is upset.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Exactly.

I personally don't think Boisclair is racist, but to refer to people that way is insensitive, no? Sure maybe the average Quebecer does that on a frequent basis, but isn't it common sense to hold the leaders of society to a higher standard? Surely all his esteemed education would have taught him that. He could have simply referred to them as Asians.

This has nothing to do with an anglophone or a francophone, or an allophone or whatever you want to call it. It's just racial sterotyping at it's finest (or worst, depending on how you look at it).

I just love how whenever a PQ politician is criticized, he/she or their supporters attempt to spin it as attacks from the dreaded anglophones. Does it truly make that much of a difference to you folks as to who says it?

There's people of every race, religion and creed living and prospering in Canada, which is a land built by a bunch of immigrants to begin with. There's such a desire by some to break everything into French immigrants and English immigrants - and then argue over which ones got there first? Well, it doesn't matter because the aboriginals were here first, that's what.

Instead you have people who gleefully exploit the differences between all of us to make politicial gains and to blackmail the federal government for more money.

Eventually, we must remind ourselves that we have a shared identity, and that everyone deserves equal treatment regardless of where they live.

59% of Quebecers admit they're racist. If that's not a sad indictment of the level of intolerance within that society, I don't know what is.

I just love how whenever a PQ politician is criticized...59% of Quebecers admit they're racist. If that's not a sad indictment of the level of intolerance within that society, I don't know what is.

I do have to say I always scratch head on the day to day affairs of the PQ.

I am a federalist but I also believe that the PQ has a right to exist for the aim of sovereignty. As much as I am opposed to the issue there must be democracy. The last referendum has the stink of the sponsorship scandal all over it and to hard line Pequistes looks like a full rig on a vote. I don't agree that there was a rig per say but it's pretty darn close to one IMO. I cannot blame nationally aspiring Quebecers if they are really peeved. I would be.

So, here you have a party which has a shroud of doubt facing it regarding this sensitive issue (Parizeau did them no favours there), is also in a bind for money...and Boisclair says this? Sovereignty is not as popular right now as they need it to be.

If these are the circumstances there can be no margin for error. Dumont and Charest are doing well for themselves so far. Dumont has the advantage I think. Charest in possible trouble. Boisclair just said a casual expression and it has been blown out of proportion. However, with the stakes this high maybe he should be more careful.

59% of Quebecers are racist? I remember reading that. That's a funny stat because I think the other provinces and other countries around the world come in at about 59% too. Sad but true. Racism is everywhere.

Federal budget on news at 4ET today

On the same scale can we say that those who call on others because they call "yeux bridés" yeux bridés are racists or intolerants because they don't accept that in other culture, some words don't have the same level of significiance ?

Eminem

You find me offensive? I find you offensive

For finding me offensive

Hence if I should draw a line on any fences

If so to what extense if

Any, should I go? 'Cause it's getting expensive

Being on the other side of the courtroom on the defensive

They say that I cause extensive

Psychological nerve damage to the brain when I go to lengths this,

Far at other people's expenses

I say your all just too god damn sensitive

It's censorship

And it's down right blasphemous

On the same scale can we say that those who call on others because they call "yeux bridés" yeux bridés are racists or intolerants because they don't accept that in other culture, some words don't have the same level of significiance ?

Eminem

You find me offensive? I find you offensive

For finding me offensive

Hence if I should draw a line on any fences

If so to what extense if

Any, should I go? 'Cause it's getting expensive

Being on the other side of the courtroom on the defensive

They say that I cause extensive

Psychological nerve damage to the brain when I go to lengths this,

Far at other people's expenses

I say your all just too god damn sensitive

It's censorship

And it's down right blasphemous

LOL, well I agree with you that sensorship is dangerous. And that the law should not impede our freedom of expression -- but I believe this because I also believe that we as individuals have the responsibility to moderate ourselves.

Now, although I don't think that the words are racists, I do thing they indicate a stereoptype, and are thus, insensitive. Is Boisclaire a racist ... I have no idea. But should a politician who wants to represent Quebec go around speaking stereotypes about other cultures? No.

BTW, I like the reference to turban heads, or rag heads. This is very common in the US, and it is a very insensitive statement. I believe that their is more hate behind some of these statements, but I class "Yeux Brides" in the same class of cultural insensitivity, and ignorance.