Boisclair refuses to apologize for remarks about Asians

Pierre the Great

I'm sorry but this is completely wrong.

A Montreal race relations group is calling on Parti Quebecois Leader Andre Boisclair to apologize for a remark he made about Asians.

But Boisclair refused to apologize Thursday for having referred to Asian students as having "slanting eyes.'

"I have no intention of apologizing,'' he replied when asked what he meant by his choice of words.

"When I was in Boston, where I spent a year, I was surprised to see that on campus about one-third of the students doing their bachelor's degrees had slanting eyes.''

The Action democratique du Quebec ditched a candidate for saying Quebecers should have more children to avoid being overrun by "ethnics.''

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...0315?hub=Canada

<_<

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even Charest and Dumont don't think it was disrespect. Soon, we will not be allowed to call bald people bald. This is crazy. It's like saying Nutella taste chocolat ! Hey and what about hazelnut? This is disrespect for hazelnut.

Even Charest and Dumont don't think it was disrespect. Soon, we will not be allowed to call bald people bald. This is crazy. It's like saying Nutella taste chocolat ! Hey and what about hazelnut? This is disrespect for hazelnut.

The problem is that Asians do not have slanting eyes. If you know what slanting means, you would recognize it easily as a stereotype ... like French people can't fight ... both stereotypes.

I also think that their are racist undertones to what he said. He seems to be afraid of being over-run by Asians. Well it does look like whitie is dying out ... but it is not anyone else's' fault that we don't want to have more than 1-2 children per couple. And Boisclaire should not be using scare tactics of Asains taking over to encourage more reproduction: he should give heavy tax breaks on people who want a large family, and encourage a culture of reproduction. For years a woman who stayed home as a house wife and raised children was seen as a slacker, or someone who had no economic or political power. You want your population to grow? Make mother-hood highly respectable! And make it cost effective.

Now why did you have to put in that Bush comment.... Last time I checked when that whole blow up happened it was Biden that got the fall and not the president so, what's your point?

Yes, Biden took the most heat because his comments went further than calling him articulate. His comments implied a lot of stuff about other black presidential candidates of the past. Bush and Rove also took heat for calling Obama articulate, because it "implied they think other black people are not articulate." Newsflash: not everyone is articulate. Bush is not articulate. Calling Obama articulate is praise, not some racial comment.

Yes, Biden took the most heat because his comments went further than calling him articulate. His comments implied a lot of stuff about other black presidential candidates of the past. Bush and Rove also took heat for calling Obama articulate, because it "implied they think other black people are not articulate." Newsflash: not everyone is articulate. Bush is not articulate. Calling Obama articulate is praise, not some racial comment.

What about saying Obama likes watermelon and fried chicken? racist?

Anyways I always thought slanty eyes was racist, albeit a more tame one than calling them gooks or something.

I hope that you all realize that the title of this thread includes the name "Boisclair", and not any American politician. If you guys want to debate racism in the American political system, you ought to move it to another thread ... and take all the stuff that has already been written. Because I for one would like to hear what others think of this particular situation ... and I really don't care about Bush and Obama ... at least not in this thread.

I hope this deep-sixes Boisclaire's campaign. He is a horrible politician. He should have appologized immediately, and admitted that he didn't mean to be offensive. But he is turning this in to a grudge match between him and another person in quebec who is involved in minority rights, and has had a run in with Boisclaire before about funding.

However, I know many people in Quebec just won't care. Quebecers, in large, are rather naive when it comes to Asians and racial sensitivity. If I had a buck for everytime any asian person was called Chinese, when they were obviously of some other origins, I'd be fairly rich.

More news on the Boisclaire affaire:

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...572&k=37587

I'm sorry but this is completely wrong.

A Montreal race relations group is calling on Parti Quebecois Leader Andre Boisclair to apologize for a remark he made about Asians.

But Boisclair refused to apologize Thursday for having referred to Asian students as having "slanting eyes.'

"I have no intention of apologizing,'' he replied when asked what he meant by his choice of words.

"When I was in Boston, where I spent a year, I was surprised to see that on campus about one-third of the students doing their bachelor's degrees had slanting eyes.''

The Action democratique du Quebec ditched a candidate for saying Quebecers should have more children to avoid being overrun by "ethnics.''

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...0315?hub=Canada

<_<

comments like that have value... they help to have the 'allaphones' continue to vote against the pq...

GO :hlogo: GO!

However, I know many people in Quebec just won't care. Quebecers, in large, are rather naive when it comes to Asians and racial sensitivity. If I had a buck for everytime any asian person was called Chinese, when they were obviously of some other origins, I'd be fairly rich.

That's the case pretty much anywhere in N-America...

I'd agree that not very many north americans know a Korean from a Japanese, but at least they aren't all called Chinese. You usually they get the blanket statement of Asian -- which isn't offensive to other cultures at least.

I strongly disagree. Unless your talking about rural america people in this country at least say 'asian' over a racial slang word like slanted eyes. To me this shows that Quebec is in another century in terms of racial sensitivity.

If Gordon Campbell for example said what Boisclair said or any other gov or premier they'd resign.

The fact that Boisclair thinks he did nothing wrong is repulsive.

I'd agree that not very many north americans know a Korean from a Japanese, but at least they aren't all called Chinese. You usually they get the blanket statement of Asian -- which isn't offensive to other cultures at least.

That's funny. In BC, or at least Vancouver Island, "Japanese" is the blanket statement for people of Southeast Asian descent.

I strongly disagree. Unless your talking about rural america people in this country at least say 'asian' over a racial slang word like slanted eyes. To me this shows that Quebec is in another century in terms of racial sensitivity.

If Gordon Campbell for example said what Boisclair said or any other gov or premier they'd resign.

The fact that Boisclair thinks he did nothing wrong is repulsive.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

But he won't resign after being busted for DUI in Hawaii?

The observation itself seems alright I guess, although I don't know the context. But if there were Asians on the campus he should have said "Asians." Simple. What he said offends people, so the friggin' round-eye definitely should apologize -- it's not up to him to decide what is or isn't offensive to others.

That's funny. In BC, or at least Vancouver Island, "Japanese" is the blanket statement for people of Southeast Asian descent.

Japan isn't in southeast Asia :?-

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

But he won't resign after being busted for DUI in Hawaii?

Well that's Vancouver island highly doubt somebody would say that in oh Vancouver proper for example or Richmond.

The BC Liberal party would be scared they'd lose votes in Vancouver if he said something like Boisclair said. He'd have apologized and visited every single home community center in the entire area. Trust me that's what would have happened if G. Campbell said this and not a PQ leader. The PQ has cemented the attitude that they dislike non-french and are only for 'pure laine' Quebecers ever since the blaming the ethnic vote after the last referendum.

The BC Liberal party would be scared they'd lose votes in Vancouver if he said something like Boisclair said. He'd have apologized and visited every single home community center in the entire area. Trust me that's what would have happened if G. Campbell said this and not a PQ leader. The PQ has cemented the attitude that they dislike non-french and are only for 'pure laine' Quebecers ever since the blaming the ethnic vote after the last referendum.

I'm sure he would have appologized, but I guarantee you he would NOT resign.

I'm sure he would have appologized, but I guarantee you he would NOT resign.

He wouldn't resign but the party would hold a confidence vote and he'd get kicked out. For example see George Allen who called an indian descent american "macaca" which is a northern african slang word for 'monkey' yet Allen said he never heard of the word when his MOTHER was from NORTHERN AFRICA.

George Allen lost his senate seat. He had a 20% lead in the polls then the incident came out and he lost giving the democrats the senate.

If Gordon Campbell said that and his poll numbers plunged and it was getting close to the next election the BC party would dump him asap.

He wouldn't resign but the party would hold a confidence vote and he'd get kicked out. For example see George Allen who called an indian descent american "macaca" which is a northern african slang word for 'monkey' yet Allen said he never heard of the word when his MOTHER was from NORTHERN AFRICA.

George Allen lost his senate seat. He had a 20% lead in the polls then the incident came out and he lost giving the democrats the senate.

If Gordon Campbell said that and his poll numbers plunged and it was getting close to the next election the BC party would dump him asap.

See, you just proved my point for me. There's a significant difference between resigning and getting dumped on your ass.

Really? It sure looks like it when you look on a map or globe.

South East Asia is Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, etc ... basically SOUTH...... East Asia. Japan, Korea, and most of China are East Asia.

South Asia is India, etc.

Edited by Bacchus

the standards are strict in NA, which sends a clear message that tolerance is important -- in Japan on the other hand we have Tokyo governor Shintaro Ishihara who has repeatedly made racist cracks about Koreans and Chinese and he gets re-elected with record majorities every time. Another ultranationalist is the Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who has just recently denied that grandmothers of Korea, China and the Philippines were made sex slaves during Japan's rampage across Asia, which translates that he considers them lying whores.