Ontario woman humiliated by the Georgia State Police

Pierre the Great

You guys need to break out a dictionary and check out the difference between racism, xenophobia and sterotype. Also, generalization would help too.

My opinion on this: these cops should be seriously repremanded. They should be made an example of. There is no way that this sort of behavior should be tolerated from the police. They should be setting the example for everyone to follow, therefor they ought to treat people with courtesy and respect (two words many American cop knows very little about --- cops in general are bad, but American cops seem to thing that they are all sarges, and the world around them is one giant boot camp -- at least when they perceive that you have broken the law in some way (speeding, having your tail-lights burnt out, running a pedestrian crossing .... etc.!)

Well if this were the first time he'd ever said anything liek that than I wouldn't mind. But he targets Americans, citizens of specific states, Quebeckers, etc constantly. These are races.

I've been a resident of Quebec, Illinois, Massachusetts, and Indiana.

What race am I?

When I saw the description of the topic talking about Abu Ghrail, I thought the poor girl had been raped, tortured or something really traumatic.

Way to blow things out of proportion.

agreed.

It sounds like the cops also blew this stop out of proportion, but allow me to play the devil's advocate for a second:

PTG, you don't want jailers to enforce lice controls?

drive down I-75 and don't tell me its department orders to pull over anyone who is not from the south or Georgia.

Seriously, its in the department hand book, Georgia wants to get money from the people driving to Florida so they crack down on out of state drivers.

If 85% of police stops in Missouri are racial profiled (which they are, there has been studies) that pretty much is grounds for a stereotype to take hold.

never been to Georgia, but I've been through Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana. All with my Yankee license plate. Never had a problem.

I buy into some local Georgia police making a point to speed trap out of staters... but that happens in some northern districts as well.

Racial profiling: first 80%, now 85%. Anyway, I agree that this would lead to a stereotype to take hold, but that doesn't mean it should or that it's right. It's a disservice to the 15-20% who do not.

just a small statistics quibble:

PTG said 80% of GA police racial profile (note that I don't think CANADIAN qualifies as racial) and 85% of stops are the result of racial profiling. Both statements can be true. Maybe the racial profilers are pulling in more than their fair share of speeders.

That being said, I want links to the studies or I will assume this is all hyperbole.

Is racism present in police departments... sure. Racism is 'present' in most places I imagine, but it is in no way helpful to imply that it is omnipresent, even in one group.

Does that have ANYTHING to do with busting out-of-staters? No. The great error in PTG's citing of the racial profiling stat is that it is completely unrelated to the article he posted. I am starting to think he just posted it so he could beat up Georgia on race relations. If you have a desire to do that, great - I'm sure it would look good in your blog.

EDIT: for clarity

Edited by simonus

When have I attacked Quebecios, BTH? I don't recall slamming them.

http://www.ago.mo.gov/racialprofiling/2005...ofiling2005.htm

http://www.ago.mo.gov/racialprofiling/2004...ofiling2004.htm

http://www.ago.mo.gov/racialprofiling/2003...ofiling2003.htm

http://www.ago.mo.gov/racialprofiling/2002...ofiling2002.htm

http://www.ago.mo.gov/racialprofiling/2001...ofiling2001.htm

roughly 10-12% of all stops involving black people result in an arrest.

roughly 8-10% of all Hispanic stops result in an arrest

while its under 5% for white people

Search Rates 2005:

whites: 7.03%

blacks: 12.52%

hispanics: 13.91%

State wide breakdown of the population:

Whites: 84.25%

Blacks: 10.63%

Hispanics: 2.22%

Racial profiling was the worst in the nation around '03-'04. The head of the Missouri State Police apologized to the black and hispanic populations and he said he would try to curb the injustice. So far it seems to be working albeit at incremental steps.

and this is state wide but if you were to do a profiling of the Saint Louis and Kansas City areas the racial profiling numbers would be much higher.

great posting of stats PTG. would be even more relevant if they had anything to do with the article YOU posted to start the thread

When have I attacked Quebecios, BTH? I don't recall slamming them.

how does this respond to the actual point of BTH's post?

http://64.218.68.50/slmpdweb/crimestats/CR...-C_20070301.pdf

woo hoo crime stats are out for the first 3 months of the year in saint louis

24 murders

71 rapes

600 robberies

1,086 aggravated assaults

1,579 burglaries

4,732 larceny

1,558 auto thefts

90 arson

7,959 property crimes

hmmm that's the first 3 months, and it hasn't even reached summer time yet when more people tend to get shot. We usually average about 25 murders in July for example.

great posting of stats PTG. would be even more relevant if they had anything to do with the article YOU posted to start the thread

well you wanted proof about racial profiling in missouri.

I couldn't find the Saint Louis/Kansas City stats because they are much higher but I did find the Saint Louis stats on crime for the first 3 months of the year.

He said I slammed Quebeckers. Which is completely false. I've never slammed them.

I've said a few things about the politicians but in my opinion politicians are always fair game.

well you wanted proof about racial profiling in missouri.

I couldn't find the Saint Louis/Kansas City stats because they are much higher but I did find the Saint Louis stats on crime for the first 3 months of the year.

1) I didn't want proof that there was racial profiling in missouri. I know racism exists. I just wondered if your stats were hyperbolic.

2) This thread was about Georgia, not missouri - but everything you write always goes back to missouri.

Q: Is stuff really so bad in Georgia?

A: It's bad in Missouri

How does that inform the discussion?

3) This still is irrelevant to your original argument (which you now seem to have abandoned) - that there is a conspiracy in the GA State police to go after people from out of state. I note that the woman in the article looked pretty darned white.

He said I slammed Quebeckers. Which is completely false. I've never slammed them.

I've said a few things about the politicians but in my opinion politicians are always fair game.

BTH's point was not about Quebecois, it was that you have a MO of going after large swaths of people, often based solely on their point of origin.

The mention of Quebec was simply supporting evidence. I really don't care to go back through your old posts to see if/when you go after people from Quebec - it is frankly secondary to what BTH was saying.

PTG, I am disturbed by your debating strategy as displayed in this thread - "Oh, you attacked my thesis? I will respond to defend a different thesis that you did not attack." It is politicking of the worst kind - and completely disingenuous.

Edited by simonus

BTH's point was not about Quebecois, it was that you have a MO of going after large swaths of people, often based solely on their point of origin.

PTG, I am disturbed by your debating strategy as displayed in this thread - "Oh, you attacked my thesis? I will respond to defend a different thesis that you did not attack." It is politicking of the worst kind - and completely disingenuous.

:clap: