Tourists Not Fond of US Officials

Pierre the Great

-In a recent poll of international travellers, commissioned by Discover America Partnership, a coalition of US tourist organisations, 70 per cent of respondents said they feared US officials more than terrorists or criminals. Another 66 per cent worried they would be detained for some minor blunder, such as wrongly filling out an official form or being mistaken for a terrorist, while 55 per cent say officials are "rude."

Such fears are fuelled by the horror stories. Earlier this year a friend of mine was detained for hours and strip-searched at LAX for a minor visa infraction. He was finally allowed to enter the US, on the condition he departed the next day. "I won't be coming back," he said.

In a January Listener article New Zealand journalist Marilyn Head described how she missed a flight after being treated like a criminal by US airport guards.

"I left the US vowing never to return," she wrote. "I'm not alone."

She's right. Head's experience echoes that of many disgruntled tourists who have bitter memories of treatment meted out by US immigration officials.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story....jectid=10436518

--------------------------------------

I'm not shocked. We are aggressive and mean. The BBC had one of its journalists who was born and raised in Montreal move to Chicago. He was detained for two days because of his last name. It was just a french name.

pathetic.

I hope nobody comes here. If we can't treat guests with respect and treat them like criminals, we don't deserve tourists.

Don't come here, because obviously the government hates you.

Edit: Misleading title

Edited by Fanpuck33

How is it misleading when that's the title of the article?

I didn't make the title up. Click the link.

The title of the article reads America's War on Tourists. Stop censoring articles. If the centre-right New Zealand Herald thought it was okay to call the article "America's War on Tourists" it's fine for Habsworld and it's not misleading.

How is it not misleading? It implies the US government is attacking any tourist who comes to the states. It makes it sound like the US is trying to stop people from coming to the US. There are so many ways it is misleading.

How is it not misleading? It implies the US government is attacking any tourist who comes to the states. It makes it sound like the US is trying to stop people from coming to the US. There are so many ways it is misleading.

Fine whatever you want to think but your missing the point. I did not make the title of the article. Don't censor something that's someone's personal opinion and of the world's that the US is pretty darn cruel to foreigners.

I didn't make the title New Zealand Herald did. Don't kill the messenger. And censorship isn't cool.

Especially since I believe that's copyrighted. You don't change copyrighted material. That's illegal.

I didn't make the title New Zealand Herald did. Don't kill the messenger. And censorship isn't cool.

Especially since I believe that's copyrighted. You don't change copyrighted material. That's illegal.

I'm laughing so hard I'm having trouble typing. I changed the title of a thread, not a copyrighted article. Did the title of the article on the website change? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

And killing the messenger? Hahahaha. Did you get a warning? Was your account suspended?

come on, do I have to spell it out for you?

You didn't like the title of the thread because it goes against your view of the US.

If I was going around changing stuff to suit my views, don't you think I'd have changed the title of your thread calling America fascist? Don't you think I'd go around deleting and editing your posts because I disagree with almost everything you say? You're kidding yourself if you think I changed the thread's title because of my personal views.

You krazy Americans and your tourism killing... I never wanna come back! Where's my unkie Wupp?!

He's off fighting the war on tourists this offseason! He's hunting down those pesky (insert nationality here)s. His primary goal is to keep those (insert nationality here)s from spending any money here in the states on popular tourist activities.

Well, this is what recently happened to me.

I'm Algerian, and I have a temporary residency, student category. (I'm in Montreal)

I'm gonna get the Canadian permanent residency soon ; to do so, I had to attend an interview (just part of the process, nothing to worry about). The interview was scheduled at the Canadian Consulate located in Buffalo ; in fact , they have an immigration department there ; why in Buffalo and not in Canada ? don't ask me why.

Anyway, I had a hard time getting an appointment at the U.S consulate (Montreal), in order to get a visa so I can attend my interview at Buffalo ; luckily, and I mean luckily, I got one.

So, about 1 month go, I went to to the U.S consulate with my convocation letter from Immigration Canada, an official document proving that I have to go Buffalo for an interview.

I also took some documents they asked for : passport, diplomas and grades, etc... (why diplomas and grades ? don't ask me why)

Speaking of diplomas, I'm graduating this semester, Bachelor in Human Resources. Most of my grades are very good, except for 3 courses I didn't care for ( C, C and C+).

So, the stupid ugly redhead visa agent with rabbit teeth is checking my documents, then asks me :

- " Do u have family here in Montreal ? "

-Me :" Yes, I have a brother who is a recruiter, and he is a permanent resident ; I also have a sister who is now a Canadian citizen and she's a real estate agent. "

- "Where are your parents ? "

- " They are currently in Algeria, but they may be moving soon, because they are diplomats ; in fact , they were in Ottawa from 2001 to 2004 (Algerian embassy) "

Then she checks my grades, looks at me as if I was some sort of freak, and tells me :

-" U have 3 bad grades"

-And I'm like "So ???"

-" It's not good "

- " What's the point ? What does it have to do with the one day visa I'm requesting ? "

- Then she also tells me : " You have no solid reason to stay in Canada" (by that, they mean family, job, permanent residency, etc...apprently, the logic behind that is that you have to prove that you belong in Canada, so you won't stay in the US once you get there)

-"What about my family ? and the fact that I'm going to work here once I graduate ?"

- "Yes, but you have a temporary residency "

- "Yes, but that's why I have to go to Buffalo... to-get-a-my-permanent-resiedency " (duh!)

- " I'm sorry "

- "I have to there for the interview ; I didn't decide the location ; do you think I wanted to go there in the 1st place? "

And there I was, leaving the U.S consulate without a visa.

And now, I'm waiting an answer from Immigration Canada, to see if they'll get me an appointment in Montreal

Oh, by the way, I also lost 100 $ U.S in the process ( visa request fees)

It is the title of an article ... therefore you shouldn't change it. I believe you are letting your politics get in the way of your moderating.

Yeah, not a big fan of US officials. They are very rude to me for the most part. I traveled with my handicapped brother, and they were even rude to him when he couldn't prove that his wheel-chair wasn't a bomb quickly enough. There is one thing about being cautious, and protective ... but being rude, condescending, etc ...that is uncalled for.

I have met some nice US Officials, but they are the exception. I don't know what they eat with their cornflakes, but it must be nasty.

It is the title of an article ... therefore you shouldn't change it. I believe you are letting your politics get in the way of your moderating.

I've already responded to those accusations. Go back and read them. As I already told Pierre, I'm only explaining myself once.

Anyways, it's not like Pierre can't go back and change it. I'm sure he could find a subtitle to counter the misleading title. I simply changed it to something that I felt accurately described what the thread was about.

And there I was, leaving the U.S consulate without a visa.

That sucks. It's odd that they'd send you to Buffalo to get your Canadian residency. Did they accuse you of forging the document or anything? I can see where they'd find it odd that you have to go to the US to get Canadian citizenship. Then again, you can't be the only one they send there, so the consulate ought to know the routine. Sounds like a case of some bozo getting a rush by screwing someone over because they can.

And therein lies the problem with US border security. They'll deny a person with a legitmate reason to enter the country for one day, but they're doing nothing to stop illegal immigration. How does that make any sense? Illegals are slipping into the country every day and there sits rafikz, denied for apparently no good reason.

By the way, I know people need visas for extended periods of time in a country, but I didn't know you had to get one even for one day. I thought all you needed at the border was a passport and a reason for entering the country.

I've already responded to those accusations. Go back and read them. As I already told Pierre, I'm only explaining myself once.

Anyways, it's not like Pierre can't go back and change it. I'm sure he could find a subtitle to counter the misleading title. I simply changed it to something that I felt accurately described what the thread was about.

That sucks. It's odd that they'd send you to Buffalo to get your Canadian residency. Did they accuse you of forging the document or anything? I can see where they'd find it odd that you have to go to the US to get Canadian citizenship. Then again, you can't be the only one they send there, so the consulate ought to know the routine. Sounds like a case of some bozo getting a rush by screwing someone over because they can.

By the way, I know people need visas for extended periods of time in a country, but I didn't know you had to get one even for one day. I thought all you needed at the border was a passport and a reason for entering the country.

Oh, I think they do know that Immigration Canada holds some interviews @ Buffalo once in a while.

And they didn't accuse me of forging the document ; well, they didn't say anything about that, anyway.

The interview with immigration Canada is not was i"m worried about ; just a basic step to get the permanent residency ; I just needed to go to the U.S to do it.

As you say, I think it was a case of bozo screwing me because she could.

And the passport is not enough for me to enter the U.S, because I don't have a canadian passport (yet) ; so I needed a visa.

But thanks God they didn't allow me to go there, who knows what could happen once I'm there (detention, CNN ? :huh: )

And the passport is not enough for me to enter the U.S, because I don't have a canadian passport (yet) ; so I needed a visa.

Ah, I see.

Did Canadian Immigration offer to help you out at all? I'd bug the hell out of them to call the US consulate and bitch about it. Sometimes you can get what you want by annoying people until they get so sick of you they just do what you want so you'll leave them alone. :lol:

I'm gonna get the Canadian permanent residency soon ; to do so, I had to attend an interview (just part of the process, nothing to worry about). The interview was scheduled at the Canadian Consulate located in Buffalo ; in fact , they have an immigration department there ; why in Buffalo and not in Canada ? don't ask me why.

You regularly have to go to another country when you need to visit a country's Embassy or Consulate, because they do not have them in their own country. I needed a visa to work in Korea, so I had to go to Japan on a visa run. Everyone does it ... it is standard operating procedure. You probably had to go to the US for similar reason.

No, if it was that, it would say, "The US Government's war on Tourists". When we say America is at War on terrorism, it isn't limited to the government. There are troops and civilians participating in the war (cultural production is another form of combating something).

Then there is the whole concept of Culture War, where different beliefs clash in public and private forums. Check it out here if you need more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_war

Now, I have responded directly to your response, and I have debunked it. So, I repeat: I believe you are letting your politics get in the way of your moderating.

You regularly have to go to another country when you need to visit a country's Embassy or Consulate, because they do not have them in their own country. I needed a visa to work in Korea, so I had to go to Japan on a visa run. Everyone does it ... it is standard operating procedure. You probably had to go to the US for similar reason.

No,in that case, it's a whole different thing ; anyway, I should get an appointment with Immig. Canada in Montreal soon.

Ah, I see.

Did Canadian Immigration offer to help you out at all? I'd bug the hell out of them to call the US consulate and bitch about it. Sometimes you can get what you want by annoying people until they get so sick of you they just do what you want so you'll leave them alone. :lol:

Aaaah, I don't think it's possible. I don't hink they can interfere with another country's policy (especially when you consider that Harper and Bush are :wub: )

But I would love to contact some medias to discredit the U.S authorities

No, if it was that, it would say, "The US Government's war on Tourists". When we say America is at War on terrorism, it isn't limited to the government.

But the government is who declares war. The war on drugs, the war on terror, etc. War on tourists implies they're trying to outlaw tourism.

Aaaah, I don't think it's possible. I don't hink they can interfere with another country's policy

To bad. You'd think they'd at least be able to dredge out the reason you got denied.

But I would love to contact some medias to discredit the U.S authorities

Email Bill O'Reilly, I'm sure he'd love to use it as an example of the problems with our border security. :lol:

But the government is who declares war. The war on drugs, the war on terror, etc. War on tourists implies they're trying to outlaw tourism.

Then there is the whole concept of Culture War, where different beliefs clash in public and private forums. Check it out here if you need more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_war

Did the Government declare the culture war? No. Some wars are figurative. Like the war on Tourists ... it is a little heavy handed, but so is the treatment of tourist by US officials.