Top Ten Canadian Cities

dark_faerie87

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously the CP writer is a Flames fan or is from Alberta because Vancouver is 15.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/rankings/b...tolive/list.jsp?

And Who wants to live in Ottawa, such a bore.

one of the criteria is newer cars? :wacko: of course the big cities are going to finish lower if that's a criteria since the car is a sign of evil in the big cities.

I rather take the skytrain thank you. What a joke. Cars? :blink:

How the heck does Winnipeg get into the top 15. The Saint Louis of Canada doesn't belong that high.

But this whole thing is bogus when they count 'new cars'. Well in the 'big cities' you don't drive cars, you take mass transit.

So of course the smaller towns will have higher ratings since they are car dependent.

If you live in Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal you don't need a car to get around.

crunching the numbers on everything from the weather, real estate values, income levels and unemployment rates to discretionary income, crime rates and signs of prosperity.

Yeah, this is how I judge where to live ... not on, culture, food, joi de vivre, people, etc. It is all about property values and unemployment rates.

On my list Ottawa and all those other starchy clean sites beat out only the dead-end cities like Windsor, or London Ontario ... places where people look forward to growing up so that they can move away from them ... fast!

windsor is basically Detroit. Heck they don't even follow canadian teams. They're all Tiger/Lions/Red Wings fans. Just a suburb of Detroit.

Drove by London, too much of a farming centre reminds me of what I'm moving away from.

I still think this is total bumpkus when they calculate percentage of new cars. New Cars?

When it comes to picking a city for me, property values, income rates, and unemployment levels don't come to mind first.

For me its, environment (mountains, sea, what kind of weather etc) and culture and overall atmosphere.

This is poll is reeks of economists and there narrow minded view on things.

This is an equivalent to a Forbes list.

windsor is basically Detroit. Heck they don't even follow canadian teams. They're all Tiger/Lions/Red Wings fans. Just a suburb of Detroit.

Drove by London, too much of a farming centre reminds me of what I'm moving away from.

:huh:

Did you form your impressions of Windsor because you drove by it, too?

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

Quebec City 3rd?

Ok, its a very nice and clean city. You can't make up Old Quebec and the rents are decent... but now I'm really depressed if theirs only 2 better cities. Our mass transport sucks, there's not many good pro-level jobs for those coming out of University and its an "old people" town

Funny though that the #1 city is a "twin city" spread across 2 provinces. Lots of people live in Ottawa but go out to Gatineau for the nightlife. Vice versa lots of people stay in Gatineau but work in Ottawa.

....Drove by London, too much of a farming centre reminds me of what I'm moving away from.....

:?- :huh: :?-

Talk about making a judgment that is ill-informed & not based on any facts/experience.....

London is definitely not a farming centre - in fact it is just the opposite.

Often known as the 'Forest City' because of the wonderful trees it has preserved within the city, it is a city of 'old money',

and it is definitely not a farming community.

Maybe you should actually see something before you pass some irrational & uninformed judgment on things in life you have yet to experience..... I'm in and out of London on a regular basis for my heart transplant checkups on a regular basis,

and I can definitely attest to the fact that this is a top flight city - not a bunch of farmers! :wacko::wacko:

As for new cars - well I'm not sure if that is a big factor, however at the cost of a new vehicle in Canada today, the more

a city seems to have must reflect a higher level of family incomes. Not a great factor though for judging overall quality.

On the other hand property value is a definite factor - is a city full of depreciating/declining land values(i.e. Port Alberni) more desirable than one where buying a house is at the least a break even venture? The chance for a solid income to support a family is also important - one has to make a living unfortunately. Factors such as that are real and necessary - a great environment is wonderful and a definite bonus, but one has to weigh the cost of living. That's a reality we can't deny......

Edited by beliveau1

ok this is kinda off topic but speaking of London, those "farmers" in London are having a pretty nice hockey rink.

ok this is kinda off topic but speaking of London, those "farmers" in London are having a pretty nice hockey rink.

yep - that John Labatt's Centre she's made with the barley there ya knows...... 300px-John_Labatt_Centre.jpg

Did I knock London? That's not what I was implying. To me London is Peoria Illinois. And that's not a knock, it's just that kind of town. Some people like it, some people don't.

And you'd probably agree, they're both relatively the same. It's just not my cup a of tea. Then again I drove by London in the summer of '99.