Clijsters calls it a career

mathieu30

I'm not into tennis at all, but this is kinda big overhere.

23-year-old Kim Clijsters ended her tennis career today, cutting short plans to retire at the end of the season.

Chronic injuries force Clijsters to call it a career.

"It would be easy to go on for a few more months. Money is important, but not the most important thing in my life. Health and a private life are so much more important."

Kim Clijsters

Great attitude, great person.

Yeah, that's very young to retire. I don't follow tennis much so I'm not sure how she's ranked right now, but I believe she used to be the #1 a year or two ago.

Yeah, that's very young to retire. I don't follow tennis much so I'm not sure how she's ranked right now, but I believe she used to be the #1 a year or two ago.

I think female tennis players often become part of the world elite at a younger age then men, and consequently they often retire at an earlier age. I think they spend about as long time at the top, they just get there quicker and retire quicker.

doesn't seem right doesn't it. We'll all be working into our 70's and she's already done.

So true. In my humble opinion.

But if people want to pay them that much.. Hopefully one day people will start appreciating other talents.

My brother, for example, is one heck of a carpenter, now imagine him making millions for doing what he does best..

Yup exactly. Usually you see these people retire and the stay in the business in one form or another but from what Kim has been implying she's going to do nothing for the rest of her life except her kids. Nothing wrong with just raising kids but when your 23 years old and have a massed millions.

It just seems like this. "I got my millions, I'm gone!"

I hope she goes into the business sector since she's an icon in Belgium. The least she could do is become a tennis analyst.

But she's given no signs of starting a new career. That's where this rubs me the wrong way.

Well, maybe the exposure is something some people can't stand for too long. Now, i hope she will raise a family and become a tennis teacher or a coach or something like that.

Yup exactly. Usually you see these people retire and the stay in the business in one form or another but from what Kim has been implying she's going to do nothing for the rest of her life except her kids. Nothing wrong with just raising kids but when your 23 years old and have a massed millions.

It just seems like this. "I got my millions, I'm gone!"

I hope she goes into the business sector since she's an icon in Belgium. The least she could do is become a tennis analyst.

But she's given no signs of starting a new career. That's where this rubs me the wrong way.

How is what she wants to do with the rest of her life any of your business to begin with? She's done her Tennis thing, made a lot of money and now she can't play anymore. If it's a family she wants to focus on then so be it. Theres nothing saying she has to keep working because she's only 23 and people are morons if they're actually concerned about that.

Your point?

Theres your point. And theres where I'm pissed off.

And injuries forced her to retire, therefore she cannot play professionally anymore which is what I meant.

lol

My brother, for example, is one heck of a carpenter, now imagine him making millions for doing what he does best..

Yeah, because we all know that Carpentry is an awesome spectator career that draws millions of viewers and fans ... I mean the marketing potential.

You want to level the playing field, you'd have to outlaw commercial opportunities from sports events. Then you would see quite the shift.

Wish that I could have retired at 21 ... I'd be in to business right now, and spend a lot of time traveling, and pursuing my hobbies ... oh wait ... I'm doing that now ... just a hell of a lot poorer.

Edited by Bacchus

I'd feel cheated on life if I knew my career was done at 23. It all seems like a dream to just do nothing for gosh 50 some years. But whenever I think of athletes retiring this young I can't help but think of the movie "About a Boy".

Hugh Grant's character was a rich bachelor bum without a job living of his dad's one hit christmas wonder.

His life consisted of watching game shows.

That doesn't sound like a nice way to live life.

I'd feel cheated on life if I knew my career was done at 23. It all seems like a dream to just do nothing for gosh 50 some years. But whenever I think of athletes retiring this young I can't help but think of the movie "About a Boy".

Hugh Grant's character was a rich bachelor bum without a job living of his dad's one hit christmas wonder.

Life is what you make of it. For every guy who just sits at home and watches TV there's someone else who goes out and actually does stuff.

I just feel its wasted. She should go back to school get a degree in something and start a new challenge. That's what I'd do even with all that money. But that's me and she might be different.

personnaly, if a had few millions dollars, you would never see me working or in a classroom again.

I always said that if ever i win 10 millions at lottery, i'll play golf once a week in 52 differents countries in the world.

I haven't seen that movie so I can't comment on that. I might think that actors, musicians and athletes these days make more money than you can possibly be worth as a tennis player, hockey player, golfer, race-car driver or what-have-you. Maybe if you came up with a cure for cancer or AIDS or found a way to stop global warming or end world hunger I think you might have earned the right to never see your great grandchildren work a day in their lives.

But what I meant with my post is that I have never gotten the impression that she's a spoiled brat or anything like that. Just because Clijsters thinks at the age of 23, at the end of a career that she has probably spent pretty much all her life working on, don't know what else she's going to do for the rest of her life is to take care of her kids doesn't mean that she can't change. It doesn't mean that she has ruled out forever and ever the possibility of becoming a tennis coach or TV analyst or take up fukken' carpentry or whatever. She might not feel the same way in ten years as she does right now. Ten years ago I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life. Now, at the age or 31, I am not as sure. Do you see what I'm trying to say?

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

I get what your trying to say. I'm just going on the fact that usually actors and actresses that quit the biz now say they want to go back to school, do something different etc. Its great that she wants to raise a family but I'm saying if I was in this situation I'd go nuts. I'd go back to school, start a new. She has the opportunity now to go to school like say here, in the states and just be Kim Clijsters the Belgian girl who is taking a business class. Because I highly doubt anybody here would know who she is.

I bet that's what she'll do, and whatever she'll do she'll be great at it I bet. From everything I've read she sounds like just a regular normal person.

And there's nothing wrong with carpentry. I'd love to make clocks for a living. I made a mantle clock in grade 7 and it still works and is sitting above the fireplace in the family room. lol

What I'm trying to say is that I don't like to see a life wasted. I just brought up the Hugh Grant movie to show how to waste a life basically.

I believe if you are given great things in the world (money, fame etc) you should help out the people in need because life is random and you need to be grateful. I have no doubt that's what she'll do.

I was basically bringing up the ex NBA player or NFL player.

I tend to pick sports figures that go beyond the game.

Steve Nash is a good example.