Habs make Markov a contract offer

Tony

Anybody else think that Meehan is just trying to drive the market up for his other clients? The offer could have been 5 years at 4 million. But if he leaked to the press it was 4 years at 5 million it pushes the market up for other gms to sign their top defensemen to bigger contracts.

Have always been a Markov fan, and during the World Championships I think he proved a lot. Better than Gonchar and all the other "high-valued" defencemen.

Markov was the best defenceman in the tournament and one of the key players in Montreal. He's worth every nickel.

I thought we could get him for less, something like Kaberle money, but we need him desperately. Plus he's only what, 28? Three years from now 5 mil could look like a bargain.

So who's going to replace Souray's minutes next year? Or (shudder) what will Bob end up paying him?

So who's going to replace Souray's minutes next year? Or (shudder) what will Bob end up paying him?

I'd be willing to play them for 10% of the league minimum. Talk about a bargain!

I thought we would sign Markov for 4.5 - 5 mill so not so bad. One thing Bob does not do is fork around on negotiating contracts. He decides what he thinks you will get and pays you. Sometimes to us that seems too high but he does not want people pissed off at overly long or cheapskate negotiations (see smyth vs edmonton for exp). I believe he can sign souray but I think 4 to 4.5 for sheldon is market value. I hope we get him. We must have Markov in habs colours next year or we will be taking a severe step backward. We COULD live without shelly but I don't want to. We need to build not subtract.

We COULD live without shelly but I don't want to. We need to build not subtract.

Ever hear of addition by subtraction?? JK...I would like to have Shelly back too...

Meehan is quoted in the Gazette saying that the 20 mil for four years is fantasy. "That's not the number," he says.

To me that means Markov's going to sign for less.

I hope this is the case....Can't believe Meehan would say that lol.

Even if it was at 5 million i think Markov worths it. he's + 2 and been consistantly playing with a team whos +- are way way in the cave. That shows to me that whenevers he's on the ice we score more goals since he always is creative on the attack and make good pass and secondly he usually plays against the best lines.....so he pretty much conteracts all his opponents.

If Gainey can sign Markov for 4 or less that would be absolutley amazing.

Markov wouldn't turn down our offer so that he could take less.

Markov wouldn't turn down our offer so that he could take less.

NO, what he means is Meehan said that the so called offer of 4 years 20million is false and is a dream, so he expects the actual offer to be lower (or maybe higher depending on how you interpret him, i'd say lower though)

You really need to keep up here. ;)

Markov is worth the coin imo, I hope that means Souray will be like...'I want a cup in Montreal to repay them for their patience with me. I'll take 3.5 million so we can get some free agents. Then maybe people will stop bashing me on Habsworld'

Hahah jk...but I hope Souray and other free agents see Montreal as a wellspring of talent for the future and wanna be a part of something more than a paycheck. Although we can easily say sure I'll take a million less a year, cause most of us will never reach the kind of salary they do.

Lets just hope for the best. Markov AND Souray back would be a wet dream for me -_-

Markov AND Souray back...

It could mean nothing in the end but Souray opening a new 2nd restaurant in Montreal (he currently co-owns one with Brodeur already in montreal) might be a good sign. :)

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

WTH...does this guy represent half the players in the league or what?? How does he find the time to negotiate all these contracts every summer??

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Meehan . Maybe he got some more clients? Acording the man takes around 10 to 20 % of their salaries, DAMN he might be rich, look at these names !!!!

Maxim Afinogenov (Buffalo Sabres)

Jason Arnott (Nashville Predators)

Dave Backes (St. Louis Blues)

Todd Bertuzzi (Detroit Red Wings)

Eric Brewer (St. Louis Blues)

Erik Christensen (Pittsburgh Penguins)

Kris Draper (Detroit Red Wings)

Alexander Frolov (Los Angeles Kings)

Mike Green (Washington Capitals)

Scott Hannon (San Jose Sharks)

Derian Hatcher (Philadelphia Flyers)

Jarome Iginla (Calgary Flames)

Curtis Joseph (Phoenix Coyotes)

Ed Jovanovski (Phoenix Coyotes)

Phil Kessel (Boston Bruins)

Anze Kopitar (Los Angeles Kings)

Pascal LaClaire (Columbus Bluejackets)

Pat LaFontaine (retired)

David Legwand (Nashville Predators)

Niklas Lidstrom (Detroit Red Wings)

Henrik Lundqvist (New York Rangers)

Al MacInnis (retired)

Dave Manson (retired)

Andrei Markov (Montreal Canadiens)

Fredrik Modin (Columbus Bluejackets)

Evgeni Nabakov (San Jose Sharks)

Scott Niedermayer (Anaheim Ducks)

Mattias Norstrom (Dallas Stars)

Michael Peca (Toronto Maple Leafs)

Alexander Perezhogin (Montreal Canadians, now with Salavat Yulayev Ufa in Russian Super League)

Corey Perry (Anaheim Ducks)

Dion Phaneuf (Calgary Flames)

Chris Pronger (Anaheim Ducks)

Wade Redden (Ottawa Senators)

Brad Richards (Tampa Bay Lightning)

Mike Richards (Philadelphia Flyers)

Ryan Smyth (New York Islanders)

Jarret Stoll (Edmonton Oilers)

Brent Sutter (retired)

Henrik Tallinder (Buffalo Sabres)

José Théodore (Colorado Avalanche)

Ole-Kristan Tollefsen (Columbus Bluejackets)

Shea Weber (Nashville Predators)

Stephen Weiss (Florida Panthers)

this is the official site of Don Meehan's company : http://www.thehockeyagency.com/index2.html so professional...

Edited by JoeLassister