Cap to rise to 52 Million

You know what's sad/funny? This $52m cap? Exactly where the PA started negotiations in February of the lockout, in a cap not tied to league revenues at all. It was the definition of a hard cap, their first concession that a cap had to be part of a new agreement. It showed the union didn't really have a grasp on league revenues (partly because the league never defined to them what that was, whether or not the PA had an interest in finding that out is another manner). So the league could've had a CBA that was based around a $52m hard cap for the duration of the CBA... instead of one that might hit $60m by the end of it. The PA is much better off with this cap than the one they offered, even though people ridiculed and scolded them for taking a cap that was less than what the NHL offered in their famous "last offer".

Those aren't "reports" of where the cap will be that you're referring to. Those were predictions based off a different formula... Once the revenues topped $2.3 billion, the % that goes towards the salary range actually goes up.

oh

I forgot where it was but I think it was on TheFourtPeriod.com (who mainly reports off newspapers so not much speculating there) that the PA was more concerned to establish order and get some leadership more than anything rather than maximizing the cap for next season.

If Brooks does have the best inside for the cap number for next season, 52M$ it is :D

This could be bad or good.. good because Bob set the bar for signing good DMen (Hannan, Souray, Timo, Rafalski) cant want more than that... and we can dump Samsonov, there has to be somebody now who will take a risk on him.

:hlogo:

if this is the case... Specifically speaking for the 4 lines... We get the centre for the max pay fine done.

That leaves the Kovalev issue. Now will putting him with Koivu be enough? OR more importantly with whom is this Centre playing with? and who gets priority or is there any priority?

and in what perspective are we getting this Centre... and if ideally would we need to get two top 6 UFA forwards?

I believe we do need to get two new faces, one for each top line... two options for this second fella UFA or via Trade (hamilton and picks)

or perhaps screw UFA and get both via trade? impossible?

If I had $16 mil, I would try like crazy in the next month to acquire a bomb for a #1 C through a trade. I'd be pushing incredibly hard for a Lecavalier, or Richards, or Bergeron, or Marleau, or ANY havey-duty other C who could anchor the Habs for years to come.

If that failed, I would then pursue one of the 3 or 4 elite C available by UFA come July 1. Briere, Gomez, Drury...sure. But Briere is small, Gomez is mostly a nice playmaker (we have too many of those - cf. Samsonov) and isn't Drury kinda oldish? And also not a bona fide #1 C, by which I mean an elite-level scorer. That's why a trade would be my preference.

But I would also push very hard for an upgrade at D, which is nearly as crucial as the upgrade at C.

I doubt the Habs will keep their payroll down to 44 million if the cap jumps that much. Last year Gillette told gainey to spend whatever was need to make the team the best...it didn't work out as planned but at least they did not throw all the assets away for short-term relief...*cough Atlanta*

I doubt they will go to 52 million but I wouldn't be surprised if they went to 50. They no longer have to pay part of their revenues to lesser teams as the team finished somewhere in the middle of the pack for revenues. (I believe only the top 10 have to pay the bottom 10 some of their revenues...I could be totally wrong)

If league revenues exceed $2.1 billion for the year past, then the percentage moves from 54% to 55% for this year.

If the cap does go above $50 million for the year, then that certainly makes a re-signing of Sheldon Souray more possible than it was a few days ago.

I would be weary of spending to the cap this season would not want it to drop 3 or 4 million and have 3 or 4 hefty multi year deals.

Just like gas prices JMMR, It will never come back down. If it does it won't happen for a long ass time.....and at that point the NHL will be in a lot of trouble.

We as Canadien fans deserve to have money spent on a couple of star players if not more to help bring the cup back to Montreal. I want BG to be smart about it but after selling out every fricking game this year? ICE a Hell of a good team M$%#ther F*&^Ker.....Oya....The ticket hike too........ SPEND >>>SPEND >>>>SPEND. :clap:

What I'd Like to See With a 52 Million Cap

Smyth(5.25)-Koivu(4.75)-Ryder(3).... AKA, the rebound banger, the Finnish playmaker and the shooter line.

Latendresse(850K)-Briere(6)-Kovalev(4.5)....AKA, the hardhitting sophomore, the smoothskating playmaker and the veteran sniper with something to prove line.

Higgins(1.5)-Plekanec(1)-Kostitsyn-(850K)....AKA the offensive youngsters who hold their own in thier own end line.

Begin(1)-Lapiere(650K)-Lahti(750K)....AKA the energy/checking line with a bit of offensive punch.

Komisarek(1.75)-Markov(5.75)....AKA Great D line 1.

Souray(4.75)-Hannan(4.5)....AKA Great D line 2.

Streit(600K)-Vaananen(1)....AKA the D line lightyears better than Dandouillon line.

Huet(2.85)/Halak(650K)...AKA the #1 and #2 who are both scared for their jobs by the emergance of the one they call PRICE!!!

Well thats it thats my team and I think it would win cups for years to come and it humps up against the cap so nicely.

Smyth(5.25)-Koivu(4.75)-Ryder(3).... AKA, the rebound banger, the Finnish playmaker and the shooter line.

Latendresse(850K)-Briere(6)-Kovalev(4.5)....AKA, the hardhitting sophomore, the smoothskating playmaker and the veteran sniper with something to prove line.

Higgins(1.5)-Plekanec(1)-Kostitsyn-(850K)....AKA the offensive youngsters who hold their own in thier own end line.

Begin(1)-Lapiere(650K)-Lahti(750K)....AKA the energy/checking line with a bit of offensive punch.

Streit(600K)-Vaananen(1)....AKA the D line lightyears better than Dandouillon line.

Huet(2.85)/Halak(650K)...AKA the #1 and #2 who are both scared for their jobs by the emergance of the one they call PRICE!!!

Well thats it thats my team and I think it would win cups for years to come and it humps up against the cap so nicely.

I guess I'll have to try it on EA sports to see if it would work...cuz it will never happen in reality! Would be nice tho...

No way we'd manage to sign Souray, Markov, Smyth, AND Hannan... this line up is IMPOSSIBLE!

Higgins will ask for more than 1.5 (probably 2)

Higgins can ask for all he wants...he will be given a qulifiying offer and if he doesn't like it, then it will go to arbitration. No way the salary arbitration paney will increase his salary from 673,000$ to 2 million. If the Habs offer him 1.5, he should take it and be happy!

Higgins can ask for all he wants...he will be given a qulifiying offer and if he doesn't like it, then it will go to arbitration. No way the salary arbitration paney will increase his salary from 673,000$ to 2 million. If the Habs offer him 1.5, he should take it and be happy!

very true... If I were Gainey, I would try to sign Higgins to a 3 year 1.5 /year contract... It'll be about what he's worth this year, and a bargain in the later years if he keeps progressing the way he's playing right now... He consistently works hard and scores over 20 goals a season. I would like more assists from him though... and more consistency in overall performance (I don't doubt his effort every night, but some nights he can finish, and some nights he's just so SNAKE BITTEN!)

With the cap increasing so dramatically I'd rather invest into long term contracts for some of our younger players than push ourselves against the cap with this summer's hot signing... Komisarek deserves a long term deal, a decision still needs to be made on Ryder long term, and Higgins and Plekanec are both up for consideration on long term deals as well.

It's about indenitifying our core. Until that is done, I'd stay away from "big name of the week that costs us $6m-$9m".

This doesn't mean I think we need everything done before we make a UFA investment (and I still think there's room for only one significant addition beyond Souray/other point man), we can jettison some dead weight afterwards.

With the cap increasing so dramatically I'd rather invest into long term contracts for some of our younger players than push ourselves against the cap with this summer's hot signing... Komisarek deserves a long term deal, a decision still needs to be made on Ryder long term, and Higgins and Plekanec are both up for consideration on long term deals as well.

It's about indenitifying our core. Until that is done, I'd stay away from "big name of the week that costs us $6m-$9m".

This doesn't mean I think we need everything done before we make a UFA investment (and I still think there's room for only one significant addition beyond Souray/other point man), we can jettison some dead weight afterwards.

Higgins, Komisarek, Plecanek, Lapierre, Kostitsyn, and Latendresse are all ppl I'd like signed to more than one year deals. I don't think that Kosty or Lappy's contracts are up this year. Lats is already signed up for two years.

Once we clear some room on D (hopefully lose Dandy / Bouillon or both), I think we need to decide what to do with Gorges. Personally, I think he'd develop into a much better player than either Dandy or Bouly, and he hasn't really been given a chance last year. That may be because he was new to the system and we were trying to make a rush for a playoff spot, so it wasn't the time to experiment, but I hope he gets more of a chance this year. If he's good enough for SJ, which had a better D corp by a mile than us, he should be good enough for us... If he's given a chance and plays well, I'd sign him up to a longer than 1 year contract too... We need to invest in our reliable YOUTH

Higgins, Komisarek, Plecanek, Lapierre, Kostitsyn, and Latendresse are all ppl I'd like signed to more than one year deals. I don't think that Kosty or Lappy's contracts are up this year. Lats is already signed up for two years.

Once we clear some room on D (hopefully lose Dandy / Bouillon or both), I think we need to decide what to do with Gorges. Personally, I think he'd develop into a much better player than either Dandy or Bouly, and he hasn't really been given a chance last year. That may be because he was new to the system and we were trying to make a rush for a playoff spot, so it wasn't the time to experiment, but I hope he gets more of a chance this year. If he's good enough for SJ, which had a better D corp by a mile than us, he should be good enough for us... If he's given a chance and plays well, I'd sign him up to a longer than 1 year contract too... We need to invest in our reliable YOUTH

Our D is obviously our biggest concern... If we do re-sign Souray, and invest long term in Komisarek (who is youth priority #1 IMO, he should get a 4 year deal to match Markov's term), we have to round out the D. Streit has 1 year left before UFA, so is he a forward or a D in our system? What do we do with either Bouillon or Dandenault? I think we'll keep one back there... Does Gorges get a regular spot? Emelin (if he comes over)? O'Byrne? Does a guy like Cote have any chance?

Youth will have to be served... are any of Souray, Streit, Bouillon, or Dandenault ready to be paired with a kid? Do we split up our 3 main vets on 3 different pairings, breaking up Markov-Komi? I don't know which option is scarier, but the status quo is simply not good enough... no puck mobility, lack of confidence, and questionable positioning to go along with those decision making qualities.

Gainey usually only signs the RFA's to one year deals, I hope he does not do this with Plekanec, Higgins and Komisarek but it is his usuall policy becuase it encourages the young players to improve.

Gainey usually only signs the RFA's to one year deals, I hope he does not do this with Plekanec, Higgins and Komisarek but it is his usuall policy becuase it encourages the young players to improve.

He's done the one year thing with these three guys I think. All three of them desrve something more solid and i fell they will get it.

He's done the one year thing with these three guys I think. All three of them desrve something more solid and i fell they will get it.

Those three guys are our future... Bob better treat them nice.

Really, the only guy he's done this consistently with is Ryder... I guess Komisarek has gotten similar treatment but I think that's a different situation since he hadn't established himself yet. Ryder hasn't really improved since his rookie year in a lot of areas, so I don't think that it really worked for him.

He gave Garth Murray a two year deal as a RFA, and on the other extreme, Jose Theodore a 3 year deal as a RFA coming out of the lockout. So it's not his standard policy. Plus, Souray and Markov were RFA's signed by Gainey to multi-year deals that are just now expiring. There's no such 1 year policy. If you're established, he's willing to dish out multi-years.

Really, the only guy he's done this consistently with is Ryder... I guess Komisarek has gotten similar treatment but I think that's a different situation since he hadn't established himself yet. Ryder hasn't really improved since his rookie year in a lot of areas, so I don't think that it really worked for him.

He gave Garth Murray a two year deal as a RFA, and on the other extreme, Jose Theodore a 3 year deal as a RFA coming out of the lockout. So it's not his standard policy. Plus, Souray and Markov were RFA's signed by Gainey to multi-year deals that are just now expiring. There's no such 1 year policy. If you're established, he's willing to dish out multi-years.

I hope you were right because I would love for Higgins, Komisarek and Plekanec to be signed for 4 years.