Hockey is DEAD... well in the US

Shu

I get what you're saying, but Nashville isn't last.

In fact, they are 8th last, at a nearly 90% rate. Of course, PTG would know this if he bothered to look it up or follow the links simonus and I have referenced. But no, that would be too much work for PTG, who is always right. :rolleyes::wacko:

In fact, they are 8th last, at a nearly 90% rate. Of course, PTG would know this if he bothered to look it up or follow the links simonus and I have referenced. But no, that would be too much work for PTG, who is always right. :rolleyes::wacko:

They are the worst on virtue of having one of the best teams in the league and still nobody shows up. Bettman's quest is much like Bush's in the Middle East. If the grass roots hockey culture isn't in the city, the team is not going to do well in terms of fan support.

They are the worst on virtue of having one of the best teams in the league and still nobody shows up. Bettman's quest is much like Bush's in the Middle East. If the grass roots hockey culture isn't in the city, the team is not going to do well in terms of fan support.

But how does a city/area build a grass roots hockey following it they're is no team ?? It takes time to grow a sport, especially hockey in non-winter areas. For me it's not like I can go out in the winter and throw on my skates and play ice hockey with a bunch of friends. I have to play a bunch of money to play here. Kids in Canada and the winter states up north grow up playing hockey .. they're dad's probably played or love hockey so it's instilled in them. Give these areas like Tampa , Dallas , Phoenix , Carolina a few generations to build a good following. Contracting is not the answer.

They are the worst on virtue of having one of the best teams in the league and still nobody shows up.

wow... what a backtrack on your part. Way to make an verifiably false statement (that they are last in support) and try to step back without admitting you are wrong (that they are last compared to how good they are). Much like Bush.

Bettman's quest is much like Bush's in the Middle East.

Umm... No it's not, if for no other reason than one of them is pursuing a war where people are dying.

There was really no reason to bring politics into this, especially such an outsized comment. It's like somebody complained about the state of the Veteran's health care system and you would not directly discuss the issue,

If the grass roots hockey culture isn't in the city, the team is not going to do well in terms of fan support.

Way to completely avoid addressing the actual arguments and facts brought up by others and just reinvent your thesis.... jeez.. who is that like?

I only have a bit to say on this issue.

In my opinion, hockey as a sport in the United States will never be a big sell because there simply are not enough youth leagues across the country. It is not a widespread youth sport across the U.S., hence it's hard to attract fans to a sport they've never played.

Americans grow up playing basketball, baseball and football. On the whole, they do not grow up playing ice hockey, like many Canadians do. In the areas where there are some youth hockey activity, e.g. places like Minnesota, there is a lot of interest in hockey. But not in places where seeing anyone playing ice hockey is as likely as seeing someone play field hockey in Canada.

This issue really can't be corrected easily - hockey is not as simple or as inexpensive of a sport as say basketball. For the NBA, to setup youth leagues, all they really had to do was organize some coaches and hand out free basketballs. You don't need much more equipment than that. But hockey gear is obviously very expensive.

I only have a bit to say on this issue.

In my opinion, hockey as a sport in the United States will never be a big sell because there simply are not enough youth leagues across the country. It is not a widespread youth sport across the U.S., hence it's hard to attract fans to a sport they've never played.

But that is changing. Over the last 10 years, especially since the Jackets came, youth and high school hockey has multiplied almost exponentially. Things aren't going to change overnight, but they are changing. In Nashville, high school hockey did not exist as a varsity sport before the Preds came. Now, there are 40 teams and more are going varsity every year. And there's Blake Geoffrion, who grew up in Nashville and played in their youth leagues and ended up being a 2nd round draft pick. Hockey is growing in these new areas, but it will take time. 90% capacity isn't terrible. A team like that should have better attendance, but the sport is still in its infancy there. Frankly, I'm more concerned that Detroit couldn't sellout a playoff game than I am about Nashville only selling out occasionally.

Change is happening, but in an era where tons of sports are vying for legitimate status in the US, hockey isn't going in the right direction. If it can't even get a better TV deal than one on a ridiculously small channel like Versus, it's a sure sign that the media industry on the whole does not consider hockey a top tier sport.

Instead of putting an NHL team why not an AHL team first? You can't throw something at someone all at once. That's the failure of Bettman's failed conquests of dixie land. It takes years to develop a base. You can't just make one. Look at soccer for example in this country. That's how Bettman should have approached his rapid expansion.

And for an american he should have known that americans especially southerners hate sports that are 'foreign'. Hockey is foreign. The southerner goes "We play american sports here" and thumps their chests.

Bettman clearly never took history classes in sports culture in america.