Somebody Give Mike Johnson a Job

Oleg Petrov

While certainly confined to the realm of the middling NHL player, I think I wasn't alone last year in finding Mike Johnson a bright spot in a dismal season. His quotes were always good, his effort was always there, etc, and while I think it's best that he won't be in a Habs jersey next season, I'm getting annoyed with the rest of the league for not tossing this guy a bone.

I suspect much of the problem lies with the fact that he's named Mike Johnson. He might as well be John Smith, or Guy Incognito. If his name was something like Zarley Beukeboom, I'm sure he'd have been snapped up by now. And his self-presentation didn't go far enough in the branding department, either. Dark hair, brown eyes, scarless face - at least if he had a Chris Mason haircut or some kind of waxy old-timey handlebar moustache, hockey minds would at least be able to put a face to the name.

Mike, if you're reading, please send a fax around to all the GMs letting them know that "Sizzler" Johnson, or "Rakeshaft" Johnson, or "Devastator" Johnson is a UFA so that you can sign a contract in August and we can see you play next year. Attach a stats sheet if you need to, but it'd probably be better to include a headshot featuring your new eye-orbital Maori tattoo.

Agreed, i thought Johnson was a solid contributor on the third line last year. Solid defensively as well as a grreat penalty killer. Wish he coulda scored more, but look who he was playing with. Wish he was back as he did want to play here, but maybe it is better to have some younger legs out there.

A team like Vancouver will likely pick him up. It took Nonis a while last year to sign Bulis at the price

they wanted.

Maybe there or Ottawa, they just released some cap space and they had him in the face all season

long last year and they know what he is capable of.The Bonk-Johnson line was very effective against

Spezza Heatley last year.

That is my guess.

Someone will pick up Johnson. He'll find a home. It's just a question of time.

Who knows, maybe he doesn't want to take a pay cut? If that's the case, he shouldn't. He did have a good season.

LOL. Good one Petrov! For sure Johnson needs something to spicen up his image. But it would probably be better if he did that on the ice first ... get more aggressive physically and they could start calling him "Mad-Mike Johnson, the punisher from Quebec!"

I for one wouldn't mind if he were to be back in a Habs uniform ... he knows everyone, plays hard, and could raise his level of play if he finds the situation comfortable. Go MJ!

Sure we have young talent who could make the jump this season, but my gut says Mike wouldn't play hardball if Bob started talking one-year contract, and would accept reduced ice time if that was best for the team. He's a very good shutdown guy, and can and take a more offense-oriented role as well.

Count me among those who'd be happy if "Mikey J" stayed with the Habs this year.

I get the feeling he wanted a longer term deal, and now is just playing the waiting game. We'll see how it goes. He could probably still get a 2 year deal somewhere... probably not the 3+ he wanted.

If he had been willing to accept a one year deal, I don't understand why we didn't re-sign him instead of getting Smoke. So I presume it's more of a term thing.

He played some of the toughest minutes in the NHL and came out a plus. Whoever gets him will get a quality 3rd liner.

couple of things about "Johnny":

-I've liked him since his TO days (don't kill me, I used to be a Leafs fan years ago).

-He's previously been good for 50 points a season, and he CAN play offense, but his role was shutdown, so that's what he did, and he did it well.

-He didn't score a lot last year because, among other things, he was playing with Bonk. I think with Smoke as his center, he'd do better offensively.

-For all we know, he's getting offers, just not where he wants to play or for the terms he wants. This is a guy who's played in TO, Mtl, Tampa, Phoenix over the years. He probably prefers playing in Canada (I remember some quotes to that effect) or somewhere where the fans care aobut hockey. I guess he probably wouldn't jump at offers from Nashville, for example.

I would have preferred him for 1 year to Smoke, but if he didn't want one year, Smoke is a good replacement.

Johnson said he and his wife wanted to stay in Montreal. Maybe he's still waiting for Bob's offer?

Nonetheless, SHORTHANDED WAS A LEAFS FAN!!! LET'S GET HIM! ;)

NOT FAIR. The operative word is WAS!!! (and again with the "everyone on the board is a guy" assumptions... tsk tsk...)

I liked Johnson the only thing i didnt like about him is the fact that him and Bonk didnt appear to finish their checks ...ever....

But aside from that i cant say anything bad about him...Would he worth 2 mil a year? I dont think so...For less why not but then it comes down to hey do we let a kid from Hamilton play or we give this veteran an other shot...

Sadly for Mike which i like btw, i would go for a young gun.

NOT FAIR. The operative word is WAS!!! (and again with the "everyone on the board is a guy" assumptions... tsk tsk...)

I met your shadow... I knew !! ^_^

I really liked the way Mike Johnson played. He seemed to give his all every night. I hope BG can find a place for him next year, although it seems that we have a multitude of 3rd and 4th line players. He would look good on a line with Lapierre.

I really liked the way Mike Johnson played. He seemed to give his all every night. I hope BG can find a place for him next year, although it seems that we have a multitude of 3rd and 4th line players. He would look good on a line with Lapierre.

True. Johnson played well last season. He has a great attitude and I wouldn't mind having him on the team next season.

Welcome to the board Roadrunner. Enjoy your stay.

Go :hlogo: go!

Heheh :clap:

That's what the link is for.

ahhh I girl that likes hockey... :rolleyes:

I,m really going out with the wrong girl !!!

which one are you ?

I tried out for the team, but after showering the coach told me I didn’t have the right 'qualifications'.

:glare: