Rangers Rip Avery in Faceoff

InsaneHABSfan

NY POST Link

July 31, 2007 -- Salary arbitration hearings are, by definition, adversarial proceedings, but yesterday's faceoff in Toronto between the Rangers and Sean Avery was difficult enough to have left the 27-year-old winger shaken.

For in seeking to give Avery just a $200,000 raise over the $1.1 million he earned last season, the Blueshirts simply hammered away at one of their most important players in an astonishingly short-sighted, penny-saved-pound-foolish attack.

For The Post has learned that in addition to referring to Avery as, "a reasonably effective player as well as a detriment to the team," in the team brief that was presented to the arbitrator, Ranger management also said:

"Avery is not a mature player. He plays, at times, like an individual rather than a member of a team. This is sometimes referred to as an inability to see the ice, and in Avery's case this seems to fit with his overall approach to the game."

Understand. These are the words chosen to represent Rangers management's view of Avery's worth.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sather receive a slapshot in the face from the stands. Then, Avery could say : "This might be referred to my inability to see the ice".

1) Don't listen to the NY Post. They are about as reliable as the taboids.

2) Really, what does it matter? Avery is a chump and for the writer of that article to call Avery one of their most important players is just nonsense...

I'm sure that most players know full well what happens in these arbitration hearings. They still go because they know they typically win more money...usually only a couple hundred thousand more then the team is offering on what are multi-million dollar deals. I have no sympathy for their hurt feelings and I don't think it has any major impact on their relation to their teammates, the fans or their coaching staff...none of whom are in the arb hearing. Does it matter if he thinks his GM is a prick?

1) Don't listen to the NY Post. They are about as reliable as the taboids.

2) Really, what does it matter? Avery is a chump and for the writer of that article to call Avery one of their most important players is just nonsense...

I'm sure that most players know full well what happens in these arbitration hearings. They still go because they know they typically win more money...usually only a couple hundred thousand more then the team is offering on what are multi-million dollar deals. I have no sympathy for their hurt feelings and I don't think it has any major impact on their relation to their teammates, the fans or their coaching staff...none of whom are in the arb hearing. Does it matter if he thinks his GM is a prick?

1) What should we read the Milky Way Chronicle? :lol: Just having fun....

2) Avery is a head case and it will bug him more than his hatred for French Canadian players with visors. (Great for us!)

The Strangers were weak until they got this aggitator and downright nasty piece of work. He gets under the skin of the opponent easily and can actually play hockey which is what amazes me. Usually head cases don't have talent.

It's interesting to note that of the five replies, no one disagreed with what was in the story, except for AVSFan.

I've read a couple of pieces on Avery, and they noted that since getting to Manhattan, he's not been the same guy he was in LA, and they credit Brendan Shanahan. I still don't like the guy, mainly because of some of his antics on the ice, but he actually be a contributor when he wants to be. It's just that sometimes his idea of making a contribution does more harm than good.

What JMMR said. No one was pegging the Rangers for a playoff spot until Avery's pest-style of hockey was added to New York.

That made all the difference. He might have been getting second line ice-time (maybe not what his role should be on a full-time basis) but it helped the Rangers make the playoffs and get into the second round.

Avery was awarded 1.9 million by an arbitrator after seeking 2.6 mil. Still an increase from his 1.1 million salary last year, Rangers will probably accept it. I think I read somewhere if it was over 2, they'd probably walk.