Rookie camp

MAK

Oh, and BTH did you watch the goalies? Any idea what they were working on?

Shots, skating.. Was Mr. Melanson on the ice?

Much appreciated.

The first half the goalies were on my end so I almost exclusively watched them. Second half they swapped sides so I watched the skaters.

The goalies did all sorts of drills, first Muller and and another trainer (probably Melanson) that I couldn't recognize were giving the goalies solo drills where they would slide across the crease, get back into position, etc. Then Carbonneau came on and the 3 coaches shot pucks on the goalies (they alternated - the guys that weren't in net, passed the puck back and forth to eachother). One drill they did was Melanson (we'll assume it's him) stood behind the net and passed the puck across the crease to Carbonneau who would one-time them into the open side; the goalie would have to slide across and stop it. All rebounds were fired back on goal by one of the surrounding coaches. There was also a point where Muller fired slapshots from right between the two faceoff circles - again, he would jump on all the rebounds (Price left very few).

They didn't do much skating, it wasn't almost completely blocking shots. Lacasse was using a flashy style but half the time he was just flopping around like a fish - he has a quick glove hand though and made some of the nicest saves of the day. The other three goalies (Price, Loverock and Desjardins - especially the first two, at 6'3) play more sound games, I think, or atleast rely on positioning atleast as much as talent. Muller seemed to light everyone up except Price, beats me why that guy ever retired, every shot went top corner. :lol: Anyways, like I said, Price was just too good. On one save, he kicked the puck out so fast I hardly saw his leg move.

By the way, I'm not sold on Kostitsyn still. He's always been a question mark because he put up those big numbers while playing on stacked teams. The only thing he did that impressed me was a couple of pinpoint passes, he likes to set up the one-timers. He must be an asset on the PP and I know he has the toughness to play on a lower line but he doesn't seem to have Andrei's offensive talent. Though this is the first time I've ever really seen him play so it doesn't mean much. Like I said, very few people did well in the drills (Fortier did, Subban did, Aubin did, Weber did,...). Which reminds me, Weber looked very good. He's a carbon copy of Streit except maybe a bit better in the future. I see him as a really good bottom pairing guy, or atleast I can't see him doing any better on a team with as many D prospects as ours, but for a later-round pick he seems to be really good.

Much thanks to all the first hand reports please keep it coming and update on a regular basis. We are getting our fix in doses and it is much appreciated.

GO HABS GO!

Edited by Chips

great to hear about Price and the others. I'm actually really excited to see how he does at the main camp, and if he can be the best goalie there. Carbo has said (not in these exact words) that it won't be enough for him to be one of the best two goalies, because he needs all the playing time he can get to develop. The future is bright, and I think the future is some time this season with so many of our blue chip prospects improving and our younger players coming into their own :clap:

By the way, I'm not sold on Kostitsyn still. He's always been a question mark because he put up those big numbers while playing on stacked teams. The only thing he did that impressed me was a couple of pinpoint passes, he likes to set up the one-timers. He must be an asset on the PP and I know he has the toughness to play on a lower line but he doesn't seem to have Andrei's offensive talent. Though this is the first time I've ever really seen him play so it doesn't mean much. Like I said, very few people did well in the drills (Fortier did, Subban did, Aubin did, Weber did,...). Which reminds me, Weber looked very good. He's a carbon copy of Streit except maybe a bit better in the future. I see him as a really good bottom pairing guy, or atleast I can't see him doing any better on a team with as many D prospects as ours, but for a later-round pick he seems to be really good.

I don't know how good Sergei can be, but I think he's pretty much a guaranteed NHL player. Obviously, he has to show he can play against grown men first, but he was London's top player in terms of ice time, their top PK guy as well as one of their top 5 on 5 and PP guys. He doesn't have elite puck skills, but he has good instincts and a ton of intangibles, which is why I like him and think he'll definitely succeed as a pro.

Great job BTH !!

I would like to know one or two things.

About Chipchura how his skating going?? i have heard he worked hard on that this summer.

And does it get physical sometime?? like you said Valentenko did not impress you but is he able to

use his body yet or it is just drills to show speed and puck handling??

To me guys like White, Valentenko, O'byrne and Chipchura are players that show their value under pressure

and when they can use their strenght.

Great job BTH !!

I would like to know one or two things.

About Chipchura how his skating going?? i have heard he worked hard on that this summer.

And does it get physical sometime?? like you said Valentenko did not impress you but is he able to

use his body yet or it is just drills to show speed and puck handling??

To me guys like White, Valentenko, O'byrne and Chipchura are players that show their value under pressure

and when they can use their strenght.

From what I've heard, it's mainly been puck drills so I doubt it's gotten physical. That only happens really when you do a scrimmage or a team drill/play.

I don't know how good Sergei can be, but I think he's pretty much a guaranteed NHL player. Obviously, he has to show he can play against grown men first, but he was London's top player in terms of ice time, their top PK guy as well as one of their top 5 on 5 and PP guys. He doesn't have elite puck skills, but he has good instincts and a ton of intangibles, which is why I like him and think he'll definitely succeed as a pro.

I've seen Sergei play in around 24 or so games and I think he does have elite puck skills. Don't forget he only played with Gagne and Kane on the PP.

Edited by Habitforming

I've seen Sergei play in around 24 or so games and I think he does have elite puck skills. Don't forget he only played with Gagne and Kane on the PP.

I would say it's not so much his linemates as the system in London encourages higher offensive numbers. I was more referring to a comparison with his brother as far as puck skills go, though. I think he has very good puck skills, but maybe not eye dropping level skills. There are plenty of first liners in the NHL without amazing puck skills as well, and I definitely wouldn't put a limit on his abilities because he isn't as impressive with the puck as Kane or Gagner or Schremp or whoever his teammates were.

From what I've heard, it's mainly been puck drills so I doubt it's gotten physical. That only happens really when you do a scrimmage or a team drill/play.

Yeah there was only one drill where there was any aggresiveness involved at all and all of them slacked off for that part because they didn't want to hurt anyone. All it was was the trainer doing tricky moves (e.g. hopping from one skate to the other, putting the puck between your legs and flippping it up, face forward while stickhandling 180 degrees behind your back, different types of dekes [the "new" fake, according to the trainer], dragging the puck behind your back, passing your stick to the other hand and then bringing the puck back in front of you several times in a row, etc) and things like that.

The things they did made it tough to notice how fast guys were so I couldn't tell you if Chipchura has gotten any faster. I hardly noticed him all day.

About Lahti - he told the Gazette that if he misses the NHL team he has no problem developing in the minors for a bit and then joining the Habs later. But to be cut does he have to clear waivers? He would not clear, but it's nice to know that he's not putting any guns to anyone's head.

first Muller and and another trainer (probably Melanson) that I couldn't recognize were giving the goalies solo drills where they would slide across the crease, get back into position, etc.

Drill in this pic?

n48301252316245729025iu9.jpg

Sorry guys here the 4 day report......

Looks like Price, Chipchura, Lahti O'Bryne and Valetenko were the most consistent in impressing the gallery. Not much surprise there I guess. I'm looking forward to see how the "kids" do at the main camp next week.

This is a good summary of the scrimmage from what I read:

Day four. Finally some scrimmage!

It started with some fun stickhandling drills to follow up on the tow days with the master. Deke three pylons and a glove using any moves you like and then go in on net. Usual suspects excelled, plus both Carle and Maxwell had major jump today. O'Byrne had a lot of jump too, problem was he couldn't hang onto the puck if tried anything fancy.

After the drills, scrimmage began. 45 second shifts. They started 5-on-5, dropped to 4-on-4 and then 3-on-3. After the zamboni break they started over 5-on-5 and worked down to 3-on-3 again.

The teams:

RED- Bearegard, Carle, Cepek, Conboy, Kishel, Lahti, Maxwell, O'Byrne, Piche and Stewart

WHITE-Aubin, Chips,Desharnais, Fortier, Gleed, SK, Labrie, Russell, Subban, Valentenko and White. (If I've switched anyone I apologize, but I think this is right.)

edit- Goalies- Red: Price and Desjardins, White Lacasse and Loverock. Loverock let in most goals. Red dominated both scoring and chances.

Red team dominated the scoring. Price did give up one goal but I'm not sure to who.

Best players on the ice:

WHITE- Chips and Valenteno, hands down. Both were calm and dominant on the ice carried the puck through traffic without any problem. Red scored almost all their goals while Chips was off the ice. His stickhandling in traffic was absolutely masterful, he could've played keep away all day. His skating was better than average and his top speed was among the best. He was one of the few players to beat Price clean, hitting the crossbar early on (in fact he was the only player to beat Price clean by himself.) This guy was dominant. Valentenko wasn't perfect in his own zone but he was very, very good without the puck. With it he was in Chips' category. There were traces of Chris Chelios as he went through traffic up ice. Like Chips he could've played keepaway from most anyone out there all day if he wanted to. He also got off some excellent one timers from the point. Really the total package and I can't wait to see him improve. I have to think he's going to be an impact player for the dogs from his first shift.

RED- Maxwell and Carle were both simply amazing today. Both these guys stock rose massively with me. Can't wait to see them play again. These guys are dominant and multi-dimensional skaters. Carle in particular was all over the ice, carrying the puck through traffic, creating scoring chances and neutral zone turnovers. Maxwell generated offense on every shift and made every winger who played with him look good. Whenever Maxwell and D'Agostini were paired together they were the best line on the ice. Both Maxwell and Carle really looked like the excellent prospects they've been touted as coming into camp. Instead of disappearing in traffic and under physical pressure, Maxwell shone. (Not that the scrimmages were that physical, but there were some hits thrown.) Maxwell's not physical, but he was right in there and was just great in traffic. He and Carle both have balance, vision, timing, quick feet and great hands. Maxwell made the best passes of the day, bar none.

Also dominant for the Reds was D'Agostini, who scored almost at will and looked like a man among boys. He was outstanding.

I cannot overstate how impressed I was with these five players, as good as others were these guys were dominant while they were on the ice. Maxwell Carle and D'Agostini absolutely dominated UNLESS Chips was out against them. If Chips and Valenteko were both out, then the puck was going the other way

OTHER NOTABLES:

Janni Lahti- Had a very good day offensively and worked hard in all three zones. I strongly suspect this guy is not really a complete all around player (see Ryder, M. for example) but he's got some pro level tools in his kit and looks to have a great attitude.

A number of players who had not shone during drills looked MUCH better in scrimmage. Olivier Fortier showed great hustle. Ryan Russell was fast and dangerous. Stewart looked very good on a line with Maxwell and D'Agositini. Both the big guys Conboy and Cepek had some good moments. Weber and O'Byrne both played well but Matt Carle and Valentenko were simply on another level. Of the invites, Piche was the best for me. Whenever I noticed him it was because he'd done something good.

DISAPPOINTMENTS- Gleed was an absolute pylon whenever anyone tried to get around him. Aubin was invisible. White improved as the game wore on and was clearly one of the strongest players on the ice but man he was s....l.....o.....w. Subban ran all over the ice trying hit guys or at least step up and just plain missed every time. When he tried to step and play the man against Lahti he took a bad angle andLahti just pushed him aside and kept going. His timing was off but more importantly he wasnt putting his shoulder into his targets, more sideswiping them. Subban's game needs a lot of work and I can't help thinking he may get converted to forward. SK was also very disappointing to me today. He looked great with the puck, but utterly lost without out. There were a couple of shifts where he simply floated from blueline to blueline and back again as the play went end to end and never got involved for a second. At other times he was great though.

At the very end of the day they did shootouts, each person getting a chance against two goalies. Price stopped every shot. SK went in and pulled a truly incredible deke but Price flung out his glove hand while down and out on the ice and still came up with the save. Much applause for that one. Also strong in the shootouts were Carle, Chips, D'Agostini, Lahti and Maxwell. Subban too. Russell and Beauregard also looked more than competent.

So to wrap up from the camp overall-

LOOKING NHL READY- Price and Chipchura. As best I can judge from a four day rookie camp, these guys look like they can dominate at the NHL level. Not necessarily as rookies, but possibly so.

MIGHT BE NHL READY NOW- Lahti, O'Byrne, D'Agostini and I simply have to include Valentenko here. He was one of the men out there, not one of the kids. The paper says he's far too young, but my eyes say he's one of our absolute best and well-rounded players. His upside is HUGE.

UPSIDE TO BE IMPACT PLAYERS IN THE NHL- Valentenko, Carle, Maxwell, S.Kostitsyn and Subban all have the skills to be core players at the NHL level. White strikes me as a boom or bust. He will be an impact player or he simply will not make it. Weber's just that notch below the top group but is the best of the rest.

LONGSHOTS WHO COULD IMPROVE TO SOLID PROSPECTS: Cepek, Conboy, Stewart all have size and showed some stuff today. Desjardins belongs in this group. Russell's a big maybe but not a guaranteed no. Aubin fell to longshot status over the course of the camp.

Damn, I wish I could have seen a scrimmage. The stickhandling drills made guys like O'Byne and Valentenko look bad, sounds like they did a lot better in the scrimmage. I also would have liked to see Lahti in a game because he impressed me as he deked invisible bodies as he warmed up. I think Lahti, O'Byrne and Price are the three with real shots at cracking the opening day roster. Chipchura would have a chance except there's not really an open spot for him.

3277710903pk3.jpg

Montreal Gazette - Assistant coach Kirk Muller, a former Habs captain, is upended yesterday during drill with prospects P.K. Subban (centre) and Benjamin Maxwell.

;)

D'agostini is really gaining ranks in my depth chart.

I know he is not gonna make the big team but he sure can be one the first line for

the Dogs thisyear. And with ice time and PP time it will results in many points making

him a candidate for a call-up if a winger falls.

I wouldn't be surprise to see him in a habs uniform this year.