Perezhogin Suspended One Year!

Fanpuck33_

I think that Perezhogin's actions definatly warrant a lenghty suspention, Thats the PC course of action. The Other player also desevers some form of punishment as well. Obviously nothing near to what Perezhogin is going to get, but a message NEEDS to be sent to him as well.

[Edited on 2004/5/4 by Habscrue]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could tbey punish AP more than Bertuzzi?

The Baron's player has a concussion. Steve Moore has fractured vertebrae.

For those who say they never want to see AP in a Habs uniform: does that mean you would be unhappy if Mr. Gainey somehow acquired TB from Vancouver?

AP made a mistake that will follow him the rest of his career. Thank God the other player wasn't hurt more. Suspend him for the same time as TB or less and get over it.

The simple, unfortunate, fact is that it probably will take a catastrophic injury on the ice to cause serious changes. Don't think that these kinds of things didnt happen in the past. The only difference is that now any incident is replayed thousands of times on the cable sports channnels.

I hope that this incident does not permanently damage the career of either player.

:hlogo: Pmac

:ghg:

[Edited on 2004/5/4 by PMAC]

I agree with you 100% but it is a diffrent league and they might be looking to set an example. I hope that this gets sorted out proprly and both players can move on because I would love to see him in a Habs jesrey.

Keep in mind that you have one player who is one of the top prospects in the Habs organization(one of the best farms in the league right now...) and another guy who isn't one of the top prospects in his...

It's so easy for lesser players to make a run at a skill guy. We're witnessing the skill players retaliating and taking the brunt of the criticism for these types of shots. Fact is, Moore took out Naslund...Moore is a crap player. This guy tried to take out Perezhogin and he's not even close to as valuable a player as Perezhogin.

I don't want to rehash the Bertuzzi event so I won't. It's been beat to death and is a completely different situation. This was an instantaneous reaction to someone trying to take his head off...Perezhogin just has better aim. Both players were in the wrong...and both should be suspended. BTW, the guy was released from the hospital the same night. So his injury isn't nearly as bad as it's being made out to be from people who've only watched the replay.

I'm sick of people who have never been in these situations making judgement calls that "there is no excuse for that reaction". If you believe that then you're a dumbarse. EVERYONE would retaliate to someone swinging a stick at your head with an equal amount of ferocity. It's natural instinct. Doesn't make it right either way, but it's stupid to say that Perezhogin should be "banned" or suspended for a year because of this...I could easily make an argument that Stafford should get a longer suspension for his initial infraction that instigated this whole ordeal.

in comparing the perezhogin incident to the bertuzz incident one must remember that bertuzzi is a veteran player and perezhogin is young and a newcomer to the more physical north american style.

I just read on TSN.ca that Perezhogin was suspended for all of next year. Stafford got 6 games.

I hope that it can be reduced on appeal. Does the NHL automatically respect the suspensions of other leagues?

Originally posted by PMAC

Does the NHL automatically respect the suspensions of other leagues?  

I think that we won't see him in North America any time soon, he will go back to Russia and perhaps he also will stay there.

I don't hope so but I think that he isn't interested in playing here right now ... :(

Originally posted by PMAC

I just read on TSN.ca  that Perezhogin was suspended for all of next year. Stafford got 6 games.

I hope that it can be reduced on appeal. Does the NHL automatically respect the suspensions of other leagues?

I don't know, but if the NHL let Bertuzzi play in october, they'll look like a bunch of clown. The AHL wasn't affraid to give an exemplary punishment. But now I wonder if they'll change the rules and add something that automatically punish the stick movement, so the players won't have a doubt and it won't cross their minds to do or not do it.

Sad day for Perezhogin and the Habs, but despite beeing big fans of him, despite thinking he's not a killer person and he's not that type of guy (lol that's what Bertuzzi said as excuse?), despite he was dangerously hit with the stick by Stafford (the guy got 6 games.. it was a dangerous move), despite all the reasons.. we have to accept the suspension and hope it'll help the sportm which is falling very low in the recent years, months. Sad that it's a Habs top-3 prospect that has to be the one who give the example. I wish him a Lady Bing in 10 years.

Good move by the AHL. I hope the goofs at the NHL took some notes.

A year? Lord thundering jesus. A little over the top?

The sensitive NHL, who are obsessed with cutting the violence out of the game, will not allow Hogin in the league after this. They wouldn't wanna upset CNN again.

Get this, Hogin won't be allowed in the NHL for something he did in another league, but Todd Bertuzzi who ended Steve Moore's career will be back? How ridiculos is that?

Stafford only gets 6 games? Ugh. No shocker. I didn't expect them to give him a tough sentance.

The AHL is on some hard-crack. "We reviewed the game and didn't see anything that would push him over the edge". Ugh. They were hacking and slashing him all night. He finally had enough. This happenes in all playoff hockey. The refs put their whistles away so cheap shots are allowed to go on, and well some players eventually have enough and snap.

Think about this, for this act you get a year in the AHL, and 8 games in the NHL. Belak's slash was very similiar. He gets 8 games and comes back and no one says boo. The anti-Montreal media is having a field day. They didn't seem this outraged.

I hope that Hogin will think about the whole incident while he is playing in Russia and hopefully he'll come back as a better player and perhaps also as a better human.

The only positive thing for him is that he'll earn much more in Russia than in the AHL ...

I think he can still play for the Habs next year if he was to make the team out of training camp...I don't think the NHL honours AHL suspensions.

Now if there is a lock-out next year it just means he furthers his development in Russia and comes back to try and make the Habs the year after.

It's a ridiculous suspension when taken in the context that Stafford only got 6 games for the EXACT same action. The ONLY difference between what Stafford did and Perezhogin did is this: Perezhogin has better aim.

I'm sick and tired of the results of an action being weighted soo much more then the intent. Yes, the results need to be taken into account but 6 games vs. 1 year??? That's just too much...I guess they didn't want to appear to suspend someone who was supposedly a "victim". Perception is everything I guess...I really hope they appeal this and it comes down significantly...but I don't see how it would.

If he goes back to Russia, he might never come back. It's not like he's a Canadian or American kid. He might go home and never come back. Thats why I am pissed off at this nonsense.

One league gives you a year while another gives 8 games for the exact same play.

I swear if Bertuzzi is allowed to play in the NHL next year and Hogin isn't, I'll be mighty pissed and I am sure it'll be a major embarassment to the NHL.

He can still play for Habs next year, so I'm guessing thats where we'll see him. He scored two hat tricks after Balej was moved and really broke out. Habs have a glaring hole on LW... and he should fill a spot.

Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev

Zednik-Ribs-Ryder

Bulis-???-Ward

???-Begin-???

Thats what we're starting to look like... It would be great to get a big, strong and tough two way centre for that third line.

What bothers me more is not Perezhogin's sentence... but the fact his suspension was so much stiffer than the one for who initiated the incident.

This is 100% about media relations & PR for hockey, nothing to do with enforcement of the rules.

Punishing the guy who was hurt wouldn't be very popular, but coming down hard on the one seen swinging on all the sports shows across the world is what counts.

So it's BS and we all know it, but what can you do.

It'll look even worse when the NHL will let Bertuzzi off with a much lighter sentence for something that IMO was worse when you consider the circumstances in which both incidents happened.

As far as saying the Habs have to respect the suspension in the NHL so as to not antagonize the AHL... that's crap since the Flyers had no problem doing the same with Boulerice a while back.

To me the only question will be whether he's ready or not.

And while the Russian league will be a nice option, especially if a lot of NHLers play there during the strike... I always fear sending players back there and never seeing them again.

Tarasov would be an example of that.

Whatever happens, I'm glad we have Gainey at the helm during a crisis like this.. I trust him to find the best solution.

Meehan, Perezhogin's agent, is no slouch either... with those two on his side Alexander is in good hands.

[Edited on 7-5-04 by Habs77]

What a joke this suspension is, 1 year? Give me a break. Perezhogin has had no prior history of suspensions or violent incidents. And Stafford only gets 6 games? Why? Because he has bad aim, because he wasnt able to connect with Zhog's head? Stafford is the reason all this ugliness started, and he gets off with nothing! (except a headache, some scars, and a small suspension)

Oh well, the joke is on the AHL. I'll be having a good laugh next season when Zhog starts the season with the habs and goes onto win the calder trophy. (assuming that the NHL doesnt lockout)

Of course thats assuming that the Habs/NHL dont decide to uphold the AHL's decision. The NHL has no legal right to carry-over the suspension into their league... The question is if the habs will honour the AHL suspension in order to keep a good reputation.

[Edited on 2004-5-7 by puck7x]

Originally posted by Habby1197

He can still play for Habs next year, so I'm guessing thats where we'll see him. He scored two hat tricks after Balej was moved and really broke out. Habs have a glaring hole on LW... and he should fill a spot.

Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev

Zednik-Ribs-Ryder

Bulis-???-Ward

???-Begin-???

Thats what we're starting to look like... It would be great to get a big, strong and tough two way centre for that third line.

This is a team that has decided to give the reigns over to the youth, & that needs to get bigger in general and especially down the middle.

Perreault doesn't fit in those plans, at all.

He knows it, he's had plenty of time to think about it while CJ was sitting him game after game.

Thanks for your time, goodbye now Yannick... it's best for both you & the team.

Also Quintal said a few days ago that he wasn't interested in a #7 job... so see ya Stéphane.

Juneau has retired, Dackell didn't play a game in the playoffs, Sundstrom will never be qualified at 2.2M... adios to all.

Welcome Higgins, maybe Perezhogin, and who knows maybe Hossa.

And that's without the obvious option of reaching out for bigger 3rd liner on the free agent or trade market.

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Ryder-Ribeiro-Perezhogin

Bulis-Higgins-Hossa

Langdon-Begin-Ward

That 3rd line has 2 decent sized wingers with good speed, and good 2-way players, and Higgins is also noted for his strong 2-way play.

Not bad, on the young side but a team that would certainly improve over the course of the year...

The size issue wouldn't be that bad, but a lack of grit and physical play would still remain.

Gainey can always swing a trade or sign a UFA, although Kovalev would take care of most of the budget.

1 season seems really long in my opinion. I was expecting the rest of the playoffs and 20-30 games of next year max. Clearly Perez was made an example of and it is just unfair.

Hopefully he can play for the Habs next year or get some good experience in Russia, before eventually returning to NA.

Obviously, AP got what TB should have gotten.

Bertuzzi's contract and union make it uncomfortable for the NHL to do what's right. So, the AHL in "consultation" with Gary Betteman decided to make an example of Perezhogin.

I think 30 games would have been fair. Any word on an appeal. BTW, how can Stafford's action been a "contributing factor" while P's actions were "indefensible". The factor that Stafford swung first is in itself a defense of sorts.

I really think that if this incident had happened with a Canadian draft pick of, say, the Laffs that the penalty woulld not have been so harsh.

Not sure if this precludes AP from playing in the NHL next year or not. According to Bob McKenzie, the AHL suspension does NOT automatically apply to the NHL. Colin Campbell was quoted as saying that there are legal issues involved.

Also, AP will have to get IIHF approval if he wants/needs to play in Russia or anywhere else in Europe next season.

I for one hope to see him in a Habs uniform next season. The only problem is- if they let him play- what to do if he makes the team in training camp, but struggles badly later in the season.

:ghg: