Nichol's hit on Brisebois draws 5-game suspension

lazy26

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2007/12/03/nichol_suspension/

TORONTO -- Nashville Predators forward Scott Nichol has been suspended five games for his cross-check to the face of Montreal Canadiens defenceman Patrice Brisebois.

Nichol was assessed a double minor for highsticking at 16:40 of the second period of Saturday's game against the Canadiens.

"The crosscheck by Mr. Nichol to the head area of his opponent was reckless and dangerous," said Colin Campbell, the NHL's senior executive vice-president of hockey operations, said in a statement Monday. "Although no serious injury resulted, the action is unacceptable."

Nichol, who was suspended nine games for an incident in December 2006, is a repeat offender. Accordingly, he forfeits $45,731.70 in salary based on the number of games in the season (82), rather than the number of days (187).

I'm glad to see that the league is starting to come down hard on this kind of BS, but I bet the Bruins are pissed that the Flyers were not similarly penalized.

The league apparently thinks damage done by the stick is worse than a body part. An elbow to the head is not as bad as a cross-check (remember Richards to Kovalev after the whistle didn't get a suspension, though that could be a case of first time offender vs. repeat). A hit from behind, or dangerous hit in general is not as bad as a stick being used dangerously. That's the league's logic right now.

Downie was the exception to the rule, being so obvious in it's intent. Boulerice is more the rule to it's extreme... this incident follows as a "mini-Boulerice" type incident.

Any shot to the head is a shot to the head, regardless if you use your stick, a covered elbow or a covered shoulder. There's still a force behind the impact. In this case, I'm fine with five games.

I'm glad to see that the league is starting to come down hard on this kind of BS, but I bet the Bruins are pissed that the Flyers were not similarly penalized.

actually, boulerice did something similar and got 25 games. i think the league has really painted themselves into a corner. they handed out 2 HUGE suspensions to us at the beginning of the season, and they have not followed up on so many similar situations. there is no consistency in their rulings what so ever. as bad as downie's hit was, it was not worthy of 20 games. deaner was back in no time, and downie still had to sit out forever. and it's not like it was an unheard of play. colby armstrong was praised for the same hits last year. Boulerice's play was stupid, but again, it was not nearly as bad as mcsorely's blow or bertuzzi's or simon's, but it got a longer suspension. on top of that, scott parker did the same exact thing to Phaneuf this past week, and gave him an extra shot to boot, and it was completely dismissed. as a flyer's fan, it's not to hard to feel short changed. we have lost 52 man games to suspensions. the rest of the league has had 7. if they were warranted i wouldn't feel so bad, but there have been so many hits that were similar to Randy Jones' or Boulerice's that have been passed over.

anyway, let's hope the habs pound the snot out of detroit tonight!

Edited by maxamillion

The most important thing is the league has to realize that there should be absolutely no correlation between the length of the suspension and the severity of the injury.

I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not.

No, I'm serious. If a vicious hit does not result in an injury, the player should be penalized just as severely as had he ended the other player's career.