Baseball Hotstove

simonus

I am oddly excited by the naming of the names in the Mitchell report. Maybe intrigued is the better word, but it will be nice to stop guessing and get some confirmation. I almost feel like we should have a "Mitchell Draft" to predict who is on the list...

I don't know anything about Fukudome, do you know what type of hitter he projects to be in the Majors simonus?

I am oddly excited by the naming of the names in the Mitchell report. Maybe intrigued is the better word, but it will be nice to stop guessing and get some confirmation.

I don't know anything about Fukudome, do you know what type of hitter he projects to be in the Majors simonus?

always difficult with japanese players... I'd guess maybe .850-.900 OPS in the NL central? he was 1.090 OPS in Japan in 2006 (injuries in 2007). A .400+ OBP would not surprise me at all.

Rotoworld is saying he is a JD Drew type hitter. Lets hope for the Cubbies sake it's not JD Drew of last year...

Anyone think the Mitchell report might also get the action going? Or it might bring it to a complete halt if some of the big available names are on it.

I like that signing. We needed a leadoff man, Eckstein will hit .300 and have a .350 ish OBP, just someone to set the table for Rios and the (hopefully) resurgent Wells.

And he's a proven winner, something this organization isn't.

I like the signing a lot...but I'm in the minority. He fills a major hole in the line-up because MacDonald hits worse then most pitchers...and while MacDonald brings stellar defense it's not even close to being enough to make up for his poor hitting.

I also like that it's a one year deal...nothing over the top. By next year the Jays may have Diaz or one of their top picks from last year inching ever closer to becoming the future catcher. A 2 year deal might have been ideal but I think Eckstein likely preferred a 1 year deal to a 2 year deal. His age now and at the end of the contract will still allow him to eek out another 3 year deal whereas at 34 it might have been tough for him. He plays all out and I don't think most people believe he'll play much beyond 35-36.

I also think that this signing opens up the possibility of making Lind the everyday LFer. Johnson won't need to lead-off with Eckstein there. So, it also means they would also have a super-sub/platoon guy for the OF in Johnson...where he is best suited.

If they can acquire a decent hitting back-up C they might actually make a little noise in a wild card race. Especially if Rios, Wells, Glaus, Thomas and Overbay all hit even close to their career averages. A lot still depends on the young arms in the rotation. Though they are much more proven going into this year you still have to think there is a bit of a question mark on whether they'll continue their progress or regress at all.

Honestly, the Jays are just 1 good bat and 1 more good starter from being a scary good team...which you almost have to be to even compete in their division. Tampa is improved, Boston is stellar, the Yanks are always in the race....

yeah even though he's a roid man, eck's is a good player, at least he won't get political in Toronto, like he was in st. louis. That always annoyed me.

YA, all this political talk does get annoying..................

Eck is just a little below average offensively and defensively... not bad to get that kind of guaranteed production on a short term, low cash contract. Eck is nothing to get excited about positively or negatively. Good pickup at the price.