U.S. Primary and Caucus Thread

Pierre the Great

Top Candidates (in order of the polls as of now)

Democratic Party

Sen. Hillary Clinton - New York

Sen. Barack Obama- Illinois

Sen. John Edwards- (former) North Carolina

Republican Party

Mayor Rudi Guiliani - New York City (former)

Gov. Mitt Romney - Mass. (former)

Sen. John McCain- Arizona

Sen. Fred Thompson - Tennessee (former) more known for being an actor

Gov. Mike Huckabee - Arkansas (former)

Schedule of Events

Democratic Party Primaries

Jan 3 Iowa Caucus - Won by Obama and Huckabee

Jan 8 New Hampshire- Won by Clinton and McCain

Jan 15 Michigan - Romney

Jan 19 Nevada- Romney and Clinton but Obama got more delegates

Jan 26 South Carolina- Obama and McCain

Jan 29 Florida won by McCain

Super Tuesday February 5

Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Georgia

Idaho

Illinois

Kansas

Massachusetts

Minnesota

Missouri

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Dakota

Oklahoma

Tennessee

Utah

If nobody has enough delegates to announce victory

Feb 9

Louisana

Nebraska

Washington

Feb 10 Maine

Feb 12 (Chesapeake Primaries)

D.C.

Maryland

Virginia

Feb 19 Wisconsin

Feb 26 Hawaii

Then sometime in March

American Samoa

Democrats/Republicans Abroad

Guam

U.S. Virgin Islands

March 4 (the last big one)

Ohio

Vermont

Rhode Island

Texas

March 8 Wyoming

March 11 Mississippi

April 22 Pennsylvania

May 6 Indiana

May 6 North Carolina

May 13 West Virginia

May 20 Oregon

May 20 Kentucky

Jun 1 Puerto Rico

June 3 Montana

June 3 South Dakota

Democratic Convention- Denver, Colorado Aug 25-28

Republican Convention- St. Paul, Minnesota Sept 1-4

Edited by Pierre the Great

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iowa Polls polling from Dec. 7

Democratic Party

30% Clinton

29% Obama

21% Edwards

most likely to attend caucuses

40% Obama

27% Clinton

Republican

39% Huckabee

17% Romney

One problem for Huckabee is this:

"In 1992, Huckabee wrote, "If the federal government is truly serious about doing something with the AIDS virus, we need to take steps that would isolate the carriers of this plague."

"It is difficult to understand the public policy towards AIDS. It is the first time in the history of civilization in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population, and in which this deadly disease for which there is no cure is being treated as a civil rights issue instead of the true health crisis it represents." (AP)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071208/ap_on_...CoZRLAGbdyyFz4D

He fiercely anti gay and wanted to at one point round up all the people affected with AIDS and quarantine them. He also believes that the earth was created 6,000 years ago, in 6 days. former Southern Baptist preacher. He doesn't believe in science.

Daily News...

Mitt Romney gets it wrong on religion

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dl...396/1270/NEWS97

GOP launches first attack invoking Hillary

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1207/7282.html

Star Power: Barack Obama couldn't have hoped for a better endorser than Oprah. Problem was, she outshone the candidate

- Howard Fineman

http://www.newsweek.com/id/74581

GOP hopefuls debate immigration on Univision

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22173520/

Inside the Fight for Iowa

(good read to explain how crazy Iowa is for our Canadian members on HW)

feel free to add anything of substance btw

http://www.politico.com/rogersimon/

Yo, PTG, I ask you -- as a community member, not a mod -- to please stop answering your own posts. I for one could not give a tinker's cuss whether Pepsi or Coca-Cola prevails in the USA, in my estimation it's all the same corporate-fueled imperialism crap. Ok, can't speak for others on Habs World but anyway when you post, consideration has it that you wait to see if anyone regards what you posted as worthy of reply, if not, refrain, thanks.

• 1 month later...

can I ask question that maybe one of our America friends can answer. I have studied American Politics but this little nuance confuses me.

I read that both the Democratic National Committee and the Republican National Committee have penalized states for running their primaries before Super Tuesday.

In the DNC's case they stripped all delegates from both Michigan and Florida. In the RNC's situation they took away half of the delegates for Wyoming, New Hampshire, Michigan, South Carolina and Florida.

For the Republicans however they did not dock delegates from Iowa, Nevada and Maine.

Does anybody know why some states got penalized while others didn't?

can I ask question that maybe one of our America friends can answer. I have studied American Politics but this little nuance confuses me.

I read that both the Democratic National Committee and the Republican National Committee have penalized states for running their primaries before Super Tuesday.

In the DNC's case they stripped all delegates from both Michigan and Florida. In the RNC's situation they took away half of the delegates for Wyoming, New Hampshire, Michigan, South Carolina and Florida.

For the Republicans however they did not dock delegates from Iowa, Nevada and Maine.

Does anybody know why some states got penalized while others didn't?

In the constitution of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina it states that

Iowa should be first, New Hampshire second and South Carolina third.

After all the states moved up to Feb 5. The two parties didn't want anybody else moving up because we'd of had our pres nominations before christmas if that was the case.

" Under Democratic National Committee rules, only Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire and South Carolina are allowed to hold primaries before February 5.

But Michigan Democrats moved their state's primary date to January in an effort to increase the state's influence in the nominee selection process, arguing Iowa and New Hampshire unfairly dominate the process. "

he was, how can i put this lightly, lazy.

Then there's the geography and current news problem he had.

aloof.

I thought it was $$$

Gotta love it. It's We The People and any of We The People can run for Prez - right?

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

I thought it was $$$

Gotta love it. It's We The People and any of We The People can run for Prez - right?

yup anybody can run for president only if they're millionaires and billionaires with huge business ties of course, god forbid we ever have someone running for president of the united states who isn't funded by huge transnational corporations...

The "poorest" person in the race is Obama. He's only worth 200k if I remember correctly. Romney is almost a billionaire, Bloomberg if and when he runs is a billionaire media mogul, McCain is worth around a million, clinton has millions, edwards is in the hundreds of millions, Rudy profits off of dead people and he's got 50mil at least.

Romney
I wish this guy would just lose. I couldn't stand him if he made the Whitehouse. He's too much of a game show host politician. Lies lies lies it seems. Fake! Chilly and cold. Makes you wonder about agendas eh?

McCain, Giuliani, Clinton or Obama for President works for me. At least you sort of know what you're going to get. Romney? I can't believe the Republicans are weighing in on him so much. Bad risk IMO

I wish this guy would just lose. I couldn't stand him if he made the Whitehouse. He's too much of a game show host politician. Lies lies lies it seems. Fake! Chilly and cold. Makes you wonder about agendas eh?

McCain, Giuliani, Clinton or Obama for President works for me. At least you sort of know what you're going to get. Romney? I can't believe the Republicans are weighing in on him so much. Bad risk IMO

Romney = used car salesman

mr. polish

mr. clean

mr. i'm perfect

no, why? You have something against my spelling mistakes, i don't hear the sound of words very good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_disability

thank you for that wiki article. Now I know all about learning disability.

"absent tee" and "absentee" sound the same... as do, for example, "per say" and "per se." I can't see how not hearing words well would cause this spelling error.

You read a lot of political coverage; certainly the you've read the word in many articles. Are you suffering perhaps from more of a reading rather than a hearing difficulty?

Perhaps instead of taking a small lump for a pretty funny mistake, you decided instead to make this into some sort of victim issue.

If I screw up like that, I try to laugh it off... but it's not like I ever had any trouble in school. You know my whole life story, obviously.

Anyways, sorry to everybody else who is reading this thread. Back to the hopeful Obama pwnage.

Edited by simonus

lol watching msnbc on msnbc.com

they were talking about my state in how you pronounce it with the two official languages (english, american)

Harry Truman: "If you live along the missour-ee river you say "missour-ee" if you live nowhere near the river you say "misser-ah"

got to love "misser-ee" and "misser-ah" both are great states. haha

well the republicans created this three headed monster that they've got right now.

But yeah I did a double take when i heard it on msnbc.com. Romney spent the night there even. lol

wouldn't be shocked if huckabee won missouri. yeah mccain is up in the polls but the romney crowd is supported by the republican establishment in mo, which is super corrupt.

I think Huckabee could win a lot of states today, then if Romney wins California. lol lol hahaha i'm going to laugh hysterically.