Frustrating Cop Stories

Electron

So I get in my car and pull out for a barber shop and pull onto a service road adjacent to Hi-way1. I drive past a Black ghost car with his lights on and see a White Police car follow me around a curvy bend entering hi-way1. The police officer follows me until I pull into a nearby burger king. I pullout several minutes later trying to get back onto the highway which I can only get on in the other direction. I pull a u-turn on a crappy street and the same black ghost car nails me for pulling a U-turn and for having no SeatBelt On. I had my seatbelt on before I pulled out my wallet to pay at the bk, but anyways guy comes asking for my license and registration and comes back with 2 tickets. He asks where are my glasses and goes as far as asking me to take my contact out to prove I wear contacts. This is getting crazy, I think im going to goto the prosecuter and argue my way out of some of the payment which has racked up to $230. Ironically today is Febuary 1st.. the guy must be trying to hit his quota so he can screw around all month.

Comments? Other stories?

I got pulled over by the cops in mo at night. I was working, bagging newspapers, the car is full of newspapers. The cop calls back up 15 cars show up. He asks are you hiding any pot in the car? I responded "you want a newspaper?"

Went down the wrong street at night had to turn around in my schools parking lot, cop was sitting there pulled me over, 20 other cars including the sheriff show up, I get taken out of my car, padded down, pushed up against my car, they search through everything, start asking questions, take some stuff. Then the sheriff comes and asks what we were doing on that street, I said turning around. They suspected we were drug dealers because there was a drug deal at the school the night before. Takes them an 1hr to figure out that we really just were turning around. They didn't apologize, didn't give me back the stuff and over the radio we heard a call about some guy juggling something on fire in an apartment complex.

Then the other time was a cop pulled a guy showing me the paper route at night, it was morning now, we were pulled over for 'being suspecious' according the cop, some neighbour called us in. Rich white part of town, the guy teaching me happened to be black.

I got pulled over by the cops in mo at night. I was working, bagging newspapers, the car is full of newspapers. The cop calls back up 15 cars show up. He asks are you hiding any pot in the car? I responded "you want a newspaper?"

Went down the wrong street at night had to turn around in my schools parking lot, cop was sitting there pulled me over, 20 other cars including the sheriff show up, I get taken out of my car, padded down, pushed up against my car, they search through everything, start asking questions, take some stuff. Then the sheriff comes and asks what we were doing on that street, I said turning around. They suspected we were drug dealers because there was a drug deal at the school the night before. Takes them an 1hr to figure out that we really just were turning around. They didn't apologize, didn't give me back the stuff and over the radio we heard a call about some guy juggling something on fire in an apartment complex.

Then the other time was a cop pulled a guy showing me the paper route at night, it was morning now, we were pulled over for 'being suspecious' according the cop, some neighbour called us in. Rich white part of town, the guy teaching me happened to be black.

:lol:

Sucks though.

So I get in my car and pull out for a barber shop and pull onto a service road adjacent to Hi-way1. I drive past a Black ghost car with his lights on and see a White Police car follow me around a curvy bend entering hi-way1. The police officer follows me until I pull into a nearby burger king. I pullout several minutes later trying to get back onto the highway which I can only get on in the other direction. I pull a u-turn on a crappy street and the same black ghost car nails me for pulling a U-turn and for having no SeatBelt On. I had my seatbelt on before I pulled out my wallet to pay at the bk, but anyways guy comes asking for my license and registration and comes back with 2 tickets. He asks where are my glasses and goes as far as asking me to take my contact out to prove I wear contacts. This is getting crazy, I think im going to goto the prosecuter and argue my way out of some of the payment which has racked up to $230. Ironically today is Febuary 1st.. the guy must be trying to hit his quota so he can screw around all month.

Comments? Other stories?

They can follow you wherever they want, so long as you're in public and they aren't causing you to engage in a criminal act where you otherwise would not. Also, if you were not wearing a seat belt where the law required and you made a U-turn where the law prohibited, then you probably should see if the prosecutor will plead them down to something less, and if not, just save your time.

Here's what to do: (but first, know that once the ticket is written, any quota requirement (which are rare anymore) is met, so the system is only interested in finding you guilty of crimes committed. Also, I'm giving you the U.S. version of things, so if you're in Canada, consult with a licensed legal authority there. (I am not licensed to practice law anywhere. This is just my personal opinion.)

1.) Look at the ticket, find the actual name and number of the statutes under which you were cited. Look them up. This is possible at any legal library. Ask the librarians for assistance.

2.) If you actually violated the law (i.e.-driving without a seatbelt and making a U-turn where prohibited), acknowledge that you did it, but still go to the prosecutor. Also, continue to #3.

3.) Go to the court date on your ticket (this is an arraignment, not a trial), and tell the prosecutor the truth about what happened. At best, they will dismiss if it's something minor, at worst they will tell you to go to trial. Most likely, they will explain your situation and give you a few options. You cannot get in more trouble at this stage. You have the right (at least in the U.S.) to a trial by jury, with a presumption of innocence, before you are convicted of a crime.

4.) If the prosecutor gives you a plea bargain that you can live with (they don't want you on a court docket any more than you want to be there), then accept it and be on your way. (If you commited a crime, you won't get off with nothing, so be reasonable.) If you honestly believe that you did not commit the offense charged, and they don't give you a legally convincing explanation about why you are guilty, don't accept the offer... the next step is a pre-trial conference... no biggie.

5.) If you are still unsatisfied, consider getting a lawyer.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer or an attorney of any kind, and do not represent myself as such. I am not licensed to practice law in any state in the U.S. or in any other country. I cannot give advice that is legally binding, and as such, relying on my advice is strictly done at your own peril. My recommendations are nothing more than a suggestion, and I cannot be held liable for any legal action taken against you at any time. In order to receive official legal advice, consult a licensed attorney in your area regarding your case. I AM NOT A LAWYER. THIS IS MERELY MY PERSONAL, NON-PROFESSIONAL OPINION.

Go to traffic court and contest the tickets. Chances are the cop will not show up and therefore the tickets are automatically dismissed. At least that's how it goes in Ontario.

Bad cop stories?

I worked in a mall with a Tim Horton's. I was out on break. Cop came to the red light in front of the mall to turn in. Doesn't stop, puts on his lights, blares the siren briefly, then runs the light. Parks in front of Horny Tims. Get out, walks in. Orders two donuts and coffee. Sits and eats. Sounds like a total cliche. This is not a lie or an exaggeration at all.

Story #2. Colin knows a police officer. Police officer states categorically that, during the night shift, a lot of cops park where they can't be seen so they can link PSP's (or other devices) and play games. Either that, or they sleep.

I'm sure I have a lot more in my brain, but there's not enough coffee to coax them out yet.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer or an attorney of any kind, and do not represent myself as such. I am not licensed to practice law in any state in the U.S. or in any other country. I cannot give advice that is legally binding, and as such, relying on my advice is strictly done at your own peril. My recommendations are nothing more than a suggestion, and I cannot be held liable for any legal action taken against you at any time. In order to receive official legal advice, consult a licensed attorney in your area regarding your case. I AM NOT A LAWYER. THIS IS MERELY MY PERSONAL, NON-PROFESSIONAL OPINION.

This sounds suspiciously like legalese... sure you're not a lawyer? ;)

Go to traffic court and contest the tickets. Chances are the cop will not show up and therefore the tickets are automatically dismissed. At least that's how it goes in Ontario.

Bad cop stories?

I worked in a mall with a Tim Horton's. I was out on break. Cop came to the red light in front of the mall to turn in. Doesn't stop, puts on his lights, blares the siren briefly, then runs the light. Parks in front of Horny Tims. Get out, walks in. Orders two donuts and coffee. Sits and eats. Sounds like a total cliche. This is not a lie or an exaggeration at all.

Story #2. Colin knows a police officer. Police officer states categorically that, during the night shift, a lot of cops park where they can't be seen so they can link PSP's (or other devices) and play games. Either that, or they sleep.

I'm sure I have a lot more in my brain, but there's not enough coffee to coax them out yet.

Your story #1 is something right out of Super Bad :lol:

Alright like 3 years ago I saw the prosecuter after I got pulled over by a ghost car when a road went from 80 km/h to 50km/h (trans canada). So I went in and said that I was guilty, and that I needed the payment date bumped back after the holiday season. He gave me 2 options, 1) No Demerits, 4 month extention to pay 2) Full Demerits, Fine Reduced by half, 4 months extention.

What should I expect from these new tickets? Do my current tickets have demerrits? Is my 1 free pass already used up from 3 years ago? Can I go in before the date on the ticket? I dont wanna wait a month.