Canucks have fired Dave Nonis

InsaneHABSfan

Tony Gallagher is just stunned. Says if you're a Canuck fan that we should be scared with this current leadership.

This is starting to help me sever ties with this organization but that itself is no easy task. :(

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to laugh my ass off if Brunnstrom signs elsewhere and becomes a star because that just seems like Canucks luck to me guys. I'll just keep adding.

Pierre McGuire is next after the break.

McGuire is repeating all my sentiments. Says the Canucks situation in goal and defense is elite when healthy.

The Nucks have a good foundation that the new GM can use and will be reaping the benefits of the amazing work of Nonis. Says the Nucks are well on their way to being a competitive team and people need to realize how great a job Nonis has done building this team's foundation.

Lists:

Burke - Obvious.

Doug Armstrong - Lists very good points of how consistent the Stars had success under his regime.

Jim Nill - Also another good candidate. Might be hard to get though.

That's basically it guys. I hope I helped any of you absolutely clueless about the Nucks situation really understand what kind of position this team is in. Their younger players aren't well known but don't be fooled thinking this organization has no future. Obviously the Habs and Oil are well known with high profile prospects but don't underestimate Vancouver.

McGuire says if Aquillini called him about the job, he'd be the first to fly out here. :lol:

Says Vancouver is positioned for success for a long time. That's it guys, I'm out.

Ok I'm not out. Aqullini's press release is brutal. He has no plan. This team's decision to fire Nonis is going to send all the good things Nonis had just done into a downward free fall.

Now I'm done. Done with the Nucks too.

Edited by Captain_Stealth

Captain Stealth well done!

The fact the D and Goaltending is very good in Vancouver should make it easier for someone to take over the team. The question is who and the amount of pressure they will be under to perform. I know a little about Vancouver and the youth which is why I started this thread and I admire Nonis.

We shall see in 2008/2009 season what takes place in Vancouver and it should be interesting. Will Naslund be back is a big question and who plays with the twins. It is not a bad team, injuries and finishers seem to be the problem.

And I bet you will be saying Go 'Nucks next year!!!!!!!

Captain Stealth well done!

The fact the D and Goaltending is very good in Vancouver should make it easier for someone to take over the team. The question is who and the amount of pressure they will be under to perform. I know a little about Vancouver and the youth which is why I started this thread and I admire Nonis.

We shall see in 2008/2009 season what takes place in Vancouver and it should be interesting. Will Naslund be back is a big question and who plays with the twins. It is not a bad team, injuries and finishers seem to be the problem.

And I bet you will be saying Go 'Nucks next year!!!!!!!

Sadly it's true. :P

A poll while I was listening had 55% of Van fans happy with the Nonis firing. I've always been sick of other Nucks fans... Not all as there are a lot of respectable ones but a TON of uneducated idiots that I just can't stand. Their logic leaves me dumbfounded.

The rival fan in me doesn't even care what happens now. However the true Nucks fan in me prays for a respectable person such as Jim Nill.

They bring in someone idiotic and I'm through. This offseason dictates the destiny of this franchise for the most part and it's all I'm going to be hearing about for the next few months... whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, time will tell.

Captain Stealth, I live in Vancouver and pay a lot of attention, not as a fan of the Canuckleheads, but as a fan of hockey. And I completely agree with you. In fact, I am angry at this firing - not because I care about the Canucks but because I think it's just grossly unjust.

Nonis had the right plan - the ONLY plan - for success in a cap system: build from within and do not under any circumstances empty the cupboard of young talent/picks in exchange for short term gains. In other words, do as Bob Gainey has done, not as John Ferguson Jr.. Beyond that, his shorter-term strategy of building from Luongo on out was perfectly chosen. It's not his fault his blueline was decimated all season.

He does everything a responsible GM should do - and for this, he's fired?

The message that the owner is sending in firing a guy who had gotten all the fundamentals right, is that the Canucks ownership will only accept short-term thinking and quick fixes. This is EXACTLY the mentality of the Toronto Maple Leafs. And the results, in the long term, will be exactly the same.

Furthermore, when the new GM comes in he will likely spend a couple of years 'reconstructing' the rest of the organization, filling it with his people, etc.. This tends to set a team even further back. Ironically, though, the Canucks will likely be better next year, simply because the injury plague won't strike twice. And the new guy, whoever he is, will get all the credit. Meanwhile, the dry rot will slowly be spreading as quick fixes and short-term moves undercut any possibility of longer-term success. In three or four years, things will be even worse.

I have a friend who used to say, during the Naslund/Bertuzzi era, that the Canucks will never, ever win a Stanley Cup. At the time I was living in Ottawa and couldn't figure that out. Now I understand perfectly what he means. The culture in this city has absolutely no understanding of what it means to build a winner. And until the Canucks get ownership that does understand that, and has bona fide determination to see it through, it's going to be an unending run in futility for these bozos.

(And Burke??? First: why was he fired to begin with? Second, has he ever shown that he really understands how to build a team from the ground up? A popular choice, but will he necessarily be the best one - ?)

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Captain Stealth, I live in Vancouver and pay a lot of attention, not as a fan of the Canuckleheads, but as a fan of hockey. And I completely agree with you. In fact, I am angry at this firing - not because I care about the Canucks but because I think it's just grossly unjust.

Nonis had the right plan - the ONLY plan - for success in a cap system: build from within and do not under any circumstances empty the cupboard of young talent/picks in exchange for short term gains. In other words, do as Bob Gainey has done, not as John Ferguson Jr.. Beyond that, his shorter-term strategy of building from Luongo on out was perfectly chosen. It's not his fault his blueline was decimated all season.

He does everything a responsible GM should do - and for this, he's fired?

The message that the owner is sending in firing a guy who had gotten all the fundamentals right, is that the Canucks ownership will only accept short-term thinking and quick fixes. This is EXACTLY the mentality of the Toronto Maple Leafs. And the results, in the long term, will be exactly the same.

Furthermore, when the new GM comes in he will likely spend a couple of years 'reconstructing' the rest of the organization, filling it with his people, etc.. This tends to set a team even further back. Ironically, though, the Canucks will likely be better next year, simply because the injury plague won't strike twice. And the new guy, whoever he is, will get all the credit. Meanwhile, the dry rot will slowly be spreading as quick fixes and short-term moves undercut any possibility of longer-term success. In three or four years, things will be even worse.

I have a friend who used to say, during the Naslund/Bertuzzi era, that the Canucks will never, ever win a Stanley Cup. At the time I was living in Ottawa and couldn't figure that out. Now I understand perfectly what he means. The culture in this city has absolutely no understanding of what it means to build a winner. And until the Canucks get ownership that does understand that, and has bona fide determination to see it through, it's going to be an unending run in futility for these bozos.

(And Burke??? First: why was he fired to begin with? Second, has he ever shown that he really understands how to build a team from the ground up? A popular choice, but will he necessarily be the best one - ?)

Yep, you understand it perfectly. This is why I can't take it anymore being a Canucks fan and Aquillini just showed me everything I was against. Like I was already indifferent on the team for weird reasons(just out of anger of complete failure as always I'm sure) partially but this firing just blew up whatever hope I had. All hope that everything I believed in and the entire process I defended on how this team was well on the road to greatness just came crashing down in a heap because not even fat ass Aqullini can see the big picture. Now all the idiot uneducated Nuck fans who I preached to that they'd see are going to win that argument. Aquillini doesn't know what leadership is after watching yesterday's press conference. Just an impatient little bitchy fan.

On Brian Burke, he had a feud with Stan McCammon who was head of Orca Bay and John McCaw's right hand man. It was obvious they didn't like each other and with the lackluster playoff success under Burke's regime, I'm pretty damn sure McCammon orchestrated the firing process. That Dave Nonis was the guy they wanted to have the job and not loose. They SAW that thankfully and I agreed to it myself. I was sad to see Burke go but I was confident Nonis was the right guy and he proved to me he knew what he was doing. I was actually excited to see what he'd do here and man oh man I cannot describe how pissed off I am right now with this firing.

After 12 years watching this team, I've grown a passion for the Canucks just like any hardcore fan would for their team. I love some of these players and can't wait for the moment they finally lift the cup. However, 12 years of watching this team and only witnessing 2 playoff series wins, it was tough enough but there was that hope with Nonis. Now with these recent developments, this team has shown me that the new ownership is just a giant ######ing joke and they want to become the second version of the Leafs. THEY ARE STUPID CLOWNS THAT I DOUBT WILL EVER GET IT.... and it makes me really sad. I want to say I'm a loyal hardcore fan but I'm losing faith incredibly fast and that's enough for me to question if I am indeed loyal.

I needed to rant guys. I apologize.

I was writing a Final exam today so I missed Nonis's presser but here are two quotes said by Nonis I found at HF. Two quotes from the best GM candidate now on the market. Something only a fat assed jerk like Aquilshit would do.

'We wanted a team that could win four playoff series, not one'.

Nice shot at Aquilini.

"I wouldn't have traded away our best young players to save my own skin".

It's becoming very clear what Aquilini wanted.

Good luck Dave! Thank you for doing what was best and I hope whoever your new team is has consistent success under your tenure(even if it is indeed the Laffs)!

:clap::clap::clap:

Vancouver is a joke. I officially HATE the Canucks. Not the players, but management and all the idiot fans who applaud this most ######ed decision in franchise history.

Edited by Captain_Stealth

BRIAN LAWTON IS APPARENTLY THE FRONT RUNNER!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

The only way I go back is if they hire Pierre McGuire. He'd be awesome and he'd build our team full of monsters!!!!!!

:clap::lol::clap::lol::clap::lol:

Vancouver is a joke. I officially HATE the Canucks. Not the players, but management and all the idiot fans who applaud this most ######ed decision in franchise history.

last night laundry mat, transplant from calgary, was like YEAH MAHN ######ING GREATEST MOVE EVER MAHN, THIS GUY SUXXXED BIG TIME, DIDN'T GET IT DONE AT TRADE DEADLINE, TOTAL JOKE.

idiots.

Nonis wouldn't go to TO. Why put yourself through *exactly* the same scenario of incompetent, short-term-thinking ownership? He'll find a nice assistant job someplace and bide his time.

I was writing a Final exam today so I missed Nonis's presser but here are two quotes said by Nonis I found at HF. Two quotes from the best GM candidate now on the market. Something only a fat assed jerk like Aquilshit would do.

'We wanted a team that could win four playoff series, not one'.

Nice shot at Aquilini.

"I wouldn't have traded away our best young players to save my own skin".

It's becoming very clear what Aquilini wanted.

Good luck Dave! Thank you for doing what was best and I hope whoever your new team is has consistent success under your tenure(even if it is indeed the Laffs)!

:clap::clap::clap:

Yeah, I noticed those shots too. And I was kinda puzzled that amid all the yammering on Team 1040 nobody seemed to pick that up. These 'analysts' are themselves too pro-Canuck, they desperately want to believe that this was at least a 'reasonable' move. Feh - the only argument I've heard that makes any sense is Tony Gallagher's, i.e., that Nonis didn't actually do a very good job of drafting. But that's debatable too, and besides, Aquaman failed to bring that up in his joke of an attempt to 'justify' his decision.

Idiots.

Yeah, I noticed those shots too. And I was kinda puzzled that amid all the yammering on Team 1040 nobody seemed to pick that up. These 'analysts' are themselves too pro-Canuck, they desperately want to believe that this was at least a 'reasonable' move. Feh - the only argument I've heard that makes any sense is Tony Gallagher's, i.e., that Nonis didn't actually do a very good job of drafting. But that's debatable too, and besides, Aquaman failed to bring that up in his joke of an attempt to 'justify' his decision.

Idiots.

Agreed on the drafting. However it was by far the best drafting this organization has had in some time sadly. The only major blunder is Kopitar over Bourdon. Everyone thought Kopitar was ours then BAM. :lol: Luc's a good player though. Will be one for a long time I hope.

I just don't know what to think of the organization anymore.

Idiots.

You're from Van? no way

oh and then i heard a couple rumours

Linden is going to be groomed to be GM

Spezza for Luongo trade. :wacko:

Hee hee, there's a step up - I think Sanborn is definitely ready for the #1 job :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

oh and then i heard a couple rumours

Linden is going to be groomed to be GM

Spezza for Luongo trade. :wacko:

Linden's getting a spot in the organization no doubt and one day he'll make a great GM IMO. However this whole process is just a mess, it gives me a headache.

Luongo will no be traded unless he tells the team he doesn't like where the team is headed. Fortunately the Nucks have Schneider in case such a terrible thing does happen.

I take back my original "not surprised" and supportive decision for the owner to do this. I thought at the time that such a move meant the org had a backup plan for a GM and that this was a sober decision. Turns out to be goofy to the extreme!

Aquilini is drunk

I take back my original "not surprised" and supportive decision for the owner to do this. I thought at the time that such a move meant the org had a backup plan for a GM and that this was a sober decision. Turns out to be goofy to the extreme!

Aquilini is drunk

Bout time. :P

At such a crucial point to fire a guy like Nonis where the firing wasn't totally justified, he's screwed everything. He could still get lucky however and somehow nab a well known hockey mind but I'm seriously having doubts. Like what well known hockey mind will want to give it a try after seeing what just happened and how unorganized this is? Total mess.

Realistic guys who might get the job:

Brian Lawton - I don't know how he'd do as a GM but it's enough to make me worry.

McGuire - If it happens I'd be happy. Yea he can be a little idiotic with his monsters etc, but he knows his hockey and would do a great job IMO.

Ken Holland - He could want to come home but I severely doubt it even with Yzerman right behind him.

Jim Nill - Like Holland, they were recently signed long term so trying to pry either is going to be a difficult task and costly too boot.

Steve Yzerman - Doubt he leaves the Wings organization to GM here.

Bob Murray - I'd personally be happy with him. Has been solid so far in his current tenure as assistant GM of the Ducks.

Mike Milbury - Meh. He'd be decent I suppose but at the same time a risky choice. I don't know why but I have this gut feeling all of a sudden that it's going to be him.

JFJ - Seeing what Aquillini just did; JFJ and him could be the most scariest 1-2 leadership punch in the league. Leadership that would the most total nightmarish thing to happen in league history. Don't get me wrong, JFJ doesn't totally deserve the shit he gets, what happened in TO wasn't totally his fault.

John Muckler - Hell no.

Don Cherry - :lol:

Craig Simpson - Could be interesting. I respect him.

Brian Burke - Maybe. Doubt it and I don't care.

Bobby Clarke - Great. He can come here and send an RFA offer sheet for Jeff Carter and piss of their fans.

Curtis Sanford - Garth Snow 2.0

Trevor Linden - If he got it, I wouldn't be dissapointed.

Steve Tambellini - If you fired Nonis for his right man just like when Burke was fired to hire Nonis, god help me. He'd be good but the firing would just look ######ed then. Push came to shove, I wouldn't be upset.

Mark Messier - Bring back the moose. He'd turn all our players into moose droppings. In all seriousness, he might do a decent job.

Dave Taylor - Dunno. I'd probably be uncomfortable with this hiring.

Doug Armstrong - I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He could do a reasonable job I suppose.

Neil Smith - Same as Army. ^^^

Ron Hextall - Another intriguing choice if given the chance.

Bill Watters - :lol:

Jarmo Kekalainen - I'D BE ######ING HAPPY AS HELL IF THIS HAPPENED. Very underrated. Hasdone a marvelous job with the Blues and he certainly deserves a chance. I'd forgive Aquillini's antics a bit if he made this hiring. This is the guy I want #1 because he's at least realistic.

David Conte - Doubt he'll leave Lou and the Devils.

Craig Button - Yuck.

My persoanl bet is Aquillini will hire the Zamboni driver and he'll say that his dedication and leadership have helped him understand how things work on the ice and he'll lead us(on a zamboni) to greatness. :huh:

Dave Nonis said Wednesday he has no regrets from his tenure as general manager of the Vancouver Canucks and is proud of the fact he didn't give in to pressure to make a deal that may have saved his job.

In Nonis's words, that would have been "cowardly."

Leading up to the NHL trade deadline, it became clear to the former Canucks general manager that he and his boss Francesco Aquilini weren't on the same page.

According to sources, Vancouver's owner was willing to make trades that Nonis believed didn't make sense for the long term stability of the organization.

The fight to land Brad Richards from the Tampa Bay Lightning on Feb. 26 represents the turning point in the relationship.

The Canucks offered a package that included prospects Luc Bourdon and Cory Schneider along with a first, second and third-round draft pick for Richards. It's a proposal that Lightning general manager Jay Feaster won't confirm, but admits the team was strongly considering.

However, as talks heated up with Dallas, the Lightning needed more to address immediate needs.

Sources say the Lightning asked the Canucks for talented forward Ryan Kesler and coveted defenceman Alex Edler.

Nonis backed off and said Aquilini supported his decision at the time following a push to get the deal done. Aquilini hasn't responded to TSN's interview requests.

Nonis also said he wouldn't take short cuts to make the playoffs, emphasizing, "I did it the right way."

At least some of his peers agree and commend his work. One manager says the Roberto Luongo trade will go down as one of the most significant deals in league history, while another Western Conference rival GM stated, "without Luongo, the Vancouver Canucks would have been forced to live with being bottom feeders for years."

Both men also supported Nonis's assertion that the team's foundation of superstar goaltending, a highly regarded blueline, a quality stable of prospects and cap space is a winning one.

Darren Dreger's blog. He's the one who brought it all up before it all happened. Been very reliable.

This basically shows Aquillini was sticking his big fat nose into Nonis's work and is mad we didn't get Richards. :rolleyes: