Canucks have fired Dave Nonis

InsaneHABSfan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was taking a break watching CBC and I switch over to TSN and saw Dreger talking about Brunnstrom and then bam..... :blink:

TOTALLY FREAKING UNNECESSARY

Nonis's plan in re-building Vancouver has gone rather smoothly. What made this team miss the playoffs was all injuries and other outside matters. I know, no excuses but this move is ######ed. How on Earth could Aquillini do this.......... It's going to cost the Nucks Brunnstrom too now most likely.

He deserved at least one more season, however, there's only two explanations to this:

1. Aqullini is being a stupid jerk and will screw Vancouver's future over.

OR as TSN mentioned...

2. Aquillini is indeed targeting Brian Burke and trying to bring him back.

If it's the latter, then I have no idea what to think. There's no doubt he knows how to build successful organizations but I've seen what he's capable of from the past obviously. I'd have mixed feelings but there's no doubt I'd be excited as Burke is fun to watch at the same time.

The rivalry between Vancouver and Edmonton would only increase substantially as well.

I don't know what else to say but since Aquillini fired Nonis, he better damn well be getting Burke because Nonis at least had a successful plan in place for the most part... :(

Edited by Captain_Stealth

What gets me is he got Luongo for basically nothing as equal in value. Vancouver became an instant credible opponent for everyone in the West. What did he do to get fired??????

Maybe I just don't understand this as I really do not pay as much attention to the Cannucks like other Western teams?

Not surprised. Kudos to him for Luongo and he mended spots on the roster to help but not enough. When you have Luongo, you must do better in the UFA market or at the deadline to deserve the job. This might be good for the Canucks because I suspect the replacement will bring more veteran stability.

What gets me is he got Luongo for basically nothing as equal in value. Vancouver became an instant credible opponent for everyone in the West. What did he do to get fired??????

Maybe I just don't understand this as I really do not pay as much attention to the Cannucks like other Western teams?

Might as well give you guys the break down since you've opwned the door for me to do what I do best. Talk Nucks... :lol:

Once Brian Burke left, he had pissed away R.J. Umberger and had to deal him away. Not to mention he pissed away draft picks because he loves trading 2nds for nothing as you can see from the past. He left the prospect pool in shambles and usually selected players calling them the next Trevor Linden. Nathan Smith back in 2000 who busted. Kesler however has been HUGE. Bieksa and the Sedins were his doing as well but that's basically it.

Nonis comes in and allows Burke's crew one last shot. They fail and miss the playoffs and then he steals Luongo. Just steals him. Under his tenure he's drafted the following players:

Cory Schneider - Currently the top AHL's top rookie in goal. I won't go and compare him to Price but lately he's been lights out.

Luc Bourdon - He's progressed rather well lately. Some major injuries had set him back before this season but he's playing well for the most part.

Michael Grabner - Had 22 goals in his first pro season this year. Kid's dynamic.

Patrick White - Skilled centre but has a long way to go in the college ranks.

All character players but with skill. These are only the 1st rounders under the Nonis regime. He's added a lot of late round gems as well. One you will know.... Alex Edler.

He's put our prospect pool at a level it's never been before. He's built arguably one of the best backends in hockey in terms of NHL talent and depth. Not to mention the Nucks are notoriously known for their "pluggers". We've got a ton of solid ones no doubt. The Sedin twins on top of that. ALL THIS TEAM NEEDS IS TOP 6 PLAYERS TO COMPLIMENT THEM!

That's what this offseason was for. At the deadline Nonis was already overpaying for Richards moreso than the other teams and he knew it but they didn't have what TB wanted.... an NHL ready goalie. So he wisely kept his youngsters. I've compared his situatyion to Bob Gainey's in that he's being patient and allowing the youth to develop and building through the draft. He's done an excellent job so far in those terms and him being fired is totally uncalled for since he hasn't had a chance to sign players to help on offense due to contracts such as Nazzy's eating up his cap space. Just totally unfortunate on his part.

He was about to add another skilled player in Brunnstrom to the system but now with this, that'll likely not happen. You can easily see hwere I'm getting at. Albeit being very patient, he's done a solid job so far given what he's had etc. This basically means if Vancouver doesn't get Brian Burke now, Aquillini is another Wang guarenteed. :angry:

If there's anything specific you need an explanation on I'll be happy to answer. Just in a hurry as I'm off to watch the Avs game. ;)

wow .. just saw it they mention it very briefly on CBC !!! Thought he was doing a great job behind the Canucks... guess some other people think differently which sucks big time !!! Good Luck to Canucks and hope they don't become like the LEAFS !

well it is Vancouver...

personally the coach should have gone first before the GM

he's the dumb dumb who can't get players to play.

puzzling move, they must want Burke back probably, like cs said, because the problem wasn't the GM.

oh well

now back to my spot at the park over looking the ocean...

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-...448689_8136.jpg

looking at

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-...448683_5952.jpg

oh yeah.

Edited by Pierre the Great

well it is Vancouver...

personally the coach should have gone first before the GM

he's the dumb dumb who can't get players to play.

puzzling move, they must want Burke back probably, like cs said, because the problem wasn't the GM.

oh well

now back to my spot at the park over looking the ocean...

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-...448689_8136.jpg

looking at

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-...448683_5952.jpg

oh yeah.

:huh:

:huh:

hahaha (you wanted to know what i was doing on the nothing thread) lol :lol:

anyway this is a shock because i would have thought Vigneault would go, but since he won the Jack Adams last year and it's only his second season. So I guess the logic here is, Nonis found players that Vigneault couldn't mesh with, hence its not Vigneault's fault but Nonis.

471494172_d563075091.jpg

Vigneault at a Safeway

hahaha (you wanted to know what i was doing on the nothing thread) lol :lol:

anyway this is a shock because i would have thought Vigneault would go, but since he won the Jack Adams last year and it's only his second season. So I guess the logic here is, Nonis found players that Vigneault couldn't mesh with, hence its not Vigneault's fault but Nonis.

471494172_d563075091.jpg

Vigneault at a Safeway

Vigneault's done some stupid things but he's had nothing to work with and the injuries didn't help. Neither of them should have gone. It's a stupid decision.

Scott Morrison brought up some good names. I already though of Jim Nill but he brough up Ken Holland as he's from here and Stevie Y could replace him in Detroit.

I wouldn't mind if Steve Tambellini got it but it wasn't worth the firing of Nonis. It's going to be really exciting to watch what happens.

I suggested when they were eliminated that Canucks ownership had to determine this off-season whether or not Dave Nonis was the person they wanted to manage the team long-term. They could not let him continue with a one-year contract.

The Canucks are entering this off-season with maneuverability under the cap for the first time since it was implemented. Their decisions this off-season will have large ramifications on offense, re-signing the Sedins, Luongo, etc.

There is a lot to be said about ownership wanting their own man to run the team. The Acqulini's inherited Dave Nonis as their GM when they purchased the team. His contract was until the end of 08-09. Given how pivotal this off-season may be for the Canucks, it may have been the Acquilini's only opportunity to install their own man and give him the opportunity to build the team as he sees fit. If they were to delay this decision until Nonis' contract had expired a year from now, the new GM may have been haunted and handcuffed by long-term contracts signed by the old management. Or essentially, what the scenario that Toronto is in now.

Call me crazy and brash to judge, but if the Acquilini's felt that Dave Nonis was not their man, this is absolutely the right move at the right time. Delaying the decision a season would have been disastrous.

The above was posted by a Canucks mod on HF. I actually have to agree with him here and it might explain why this decision was made.

Stealth, as usual you did a fabulous summary of Vancouver. hehe I knew you would. I understood the potential in the youngsters under Nonis regime and that Burke really did not do much during his time.

What I don't get is the impatience in Vancouver as it looks like a (Sorry to all Vancouver fans for using this word) LEAF move. Montreal fans under Gainey have had to learn patience and fans of other teams have to do the same. The fact Vancouver could not get a top 6 forward is similar to many other teams frustrations.

It could be worse, could be a fan of the ultimate choke: OTTAWA

Stealth, as usual you did a fabulous summary of Vancouver. hehe I knew you would. I understood the potential in the youngsters under Nonis regime and that Burke really did not do much during his time.

What I don't get is the impatience in Vancouver as it looks like a (Sorry to all Vancouver fans for using this word) LEAF move. Montreal fans under Gainey have had to learn patience and fans of other teams have to do the same. The fact Vancouver could not get a top 6 forward is similar to many other teams frustrations.

That's what many of the "smarter" fans are thinking. The ones who could see the big picture and albeit Nonis not getting any help, saw he was doing a fabulous job, even if it didn't make the team on the ice better. This is a hack job by Aquillini. There are rumours that Steve Tambellini will be interim GM with Linden becoming the assistant GM. Also that Tamby and Nonis had a big disagreement in which direction to go under the young kids and UFA's. There might be more to that or maybe none at all.

The press conference is in 3 hours so I'll update you guys then. Aquillini better have a valid reason for this....

"However, I think this important change in leadership is critical to the future of the team and the direction we need to take," said Aqulini, who was in Europe on non-hockey-related business when the Canucks ended the regular season with an embarrassing 7-1 loss to the Calgary Flames. "It's not acceptable to our fans or to us as owners that our team isn't in the playoffs.

"As owners we made a commitment to deliver the kind of hockey our fans deserve. At the same time, with leadership comes responsibility. So our search begins today for a new general manager, and our focus going forward is on a winning season in 2008-09."

I found that. This has got Leaf type move written all over it. It basically sounds like a knee-jerk reaction for us missing the playoffs and considering what happened this season, there's no way you can completely blame the GM. Dumb move.

"However, I think this important change in leadership is critical to the future of the team and the direction we need to take," said Aqulini, who was in Europe on non-hockey-related business when the Canucks ended the regular season with an embarrassing 7-1 loss to the Calgary Flames. "It's not acceptable to our fans or to us as owners that our team isn't in the playoffs.

"As owners we made a commitment to deliver the kind of hockey our fans deserve. At the same time, with leadership comes responsibility. So our search begins today for a new general manager, and our focus going forward is on a winning season in 2008-09."

I found that. This has got Leaf type move written all over it. It basically sounds like a knee-jerk reaction for us missing the playoffs and considering what happened this season, there's no way you can completely blame the GM. Dumb move.

I for one do not like to see good talent get fired. I thought Nonis was doing a good job and did not get taken by anyone in a trade. To me, the mark of a smart (may not be employed for long) GM is the one who does not trade youth for a quick fix. If you do, then you end up like the sad sack team in Toronto.

Who ever comes in as the replacement better be a smart GM as there are some valuable asetts in the young core. If they hire a dumb dumb, then I hope Bob Gainey is smart enough to get in the food line first.

Watch Burkey go back to Vancouver to be the GM...... :rolleyes:

Habs fans learning patience under Gainey? lol

He probably misses his downtown condo.

I for one do not like to see good talent get fired. I thought Nonis was doing a good job and did not get taken by anyone in a trade. To me, the mark of a smart (may not be employed for long) GM is the one who does not trade youth for a quick fix. If you do, then you end up like the sad sack team in Toronto.

Who ever comes in as the replacement better be a smart GM as there are some valuable asetts in the young core. If they hire a dumb dumb, then I hope Bob Gainey is smart enough to get in the food line first.

This is really something even I didn't see coming. However should Aquillini feel that Nonis wasn't his guy as he didn't hire him, this is the perfect time to fire Nonis as we've got cap space for the first time etc and he may wanthis guy to take over. However, this at the same time could be the complete downfall of this organization. If he waits for Holland? This offseason's done.... Brian Burke? I really still don't know if that's going to be a good thing. However if you look closely at what he did in Anaheim, he seems to have used his past experience here for his moves in Anheim. Albeit, was lucky with there situation I don't totally know if you can really know if he's the right guy.

Press conference starting now.

No choice....

What is that statement players always use? Oh yea, "It is what it is".

That quote's famous here. :lol:

No choice....

What is that statement players always use? Oh yea, "It is what it is".

the day a habs fan conforms, hell freezes over. They're going along in protest or as one of the characters in the Seventh Seal after meeting Death says something to this in swedish "I'm going to stand here and in protest not say a word" basically the guy never conforms, dies in protest. aka the Habs fan. lol

the day a habs fan conforms, hell freezes over. They're going along in protest or as one of the characters in the Seventh Seal after meeting Death says something to this in swedish "I'm going to stand here and in protest not say a word" basically the guy never conforms, dies in protest. aka the Habs fan. lol

hahaha oh you are a cruel person... :lol:

BUT, last time I looked, Habs and my Avs are in the playoffs. You adopted Vancouver, drove Stealth out to the enemy and jinxed the team.

Aquillini is firing Nonis for not making the playoffs.

He really feels us fans deserved better and this is part of the basis for his decision. I have to admit, it's nice to have an owner that cares this much. :unsure:

They've begun the process on finding a new GM. Timeline is ASAP.

Aqullini states he wants a team that can not only make the playoffs but can win the playoffs. They did a review and it basically looks like he didn't agree with Nonis's plan. Didn't agree that the future stability of competitiveness of the team was there.

Aqullini wants leadership to bring this team to a state where this team makes the playoffs and can go deep. Doesn't believe in Nonis is what he's basically stating. Not directly of course but blatantly obvious.

Says Dave was a great guy and the decision was very difficult to do. Interprets leadership as vision of where the team needs to go. The support group around you and the execution of moves as well as having that committment to get the job done.

On Fabian Brunnstrom. Steve Tambellini is running the show on that situation and trying to get it done. This as per President Chris Zimmerman.

He states again how badly he feels for the fans and he's doing this for the fans for future success. They plan on allowing the new GM to make the decisions. This means the coaching staff etc is not safe obviously.

Says for the style of play all he cares is winning. Will allow the new GM to decide whether they want the style of play of the Canucks to change. This could possibly terminate the current system and coaching staff should the new GM choose to do so.

He won't comment on any names for people he has in mind for the GM job.

He didn't see a sustainable competitive team in the long term. Just typing as he says it guys.

Finally says he wants a guy with experience and can step into the job and make moves. EXSTENSIVE EXPERIENCE ONLY.....there you have it.

They've already spoken to a few people. Wouldn't comment if there was actual interest and that's it.