I can't install a dish in my building

rafikz

I'm living in one of those appartment buildings where they don't allow you to install any dish.

I know it's their property, but isn't that going against my rights as a consumer?

I mean, what if I want to go with Bell or Starchoice because some channels are not offered by Videotron?

I'm living in one of those appartment buildings where they don't allow you to install any dish.

I know it's their property, but isn't that going against my rights as a consumer?

I mean, what if I want to go with Bell or Starchoice because some channels are not offered by Videotron?

sorry dude... I don't know Canadian law, but I don't think you have much of a case. In my experience, this prohibition is pretty common.

Do you have a balconey? What if it was attached to the railing and could be removed?

I went through this a number of years back too...I just ended up going with Rogers Digital...less hassle.

Nope. By renting from them, you agreed to abide by the terms they set forth.

Damn, I forgot about the rental agreement form :blink:

You are probably right.

I do have a balcony; they told me the reason why it's forbidden is becasue they are afraid a dish might fall from the balcony and kill someone :rolleyes:

I think the real reason is that they don't want us to drill a hole in the wall

I do have a balcony; they told me the reason why it's forbidden is becasue they are afraid a dish might fall from the balcony and kill someone :rolleyes:

I think the real reason is that they don't want us to drill a hole in the wall

What is likely is that they have a deal with the cable company. A lot of apartment complexes agree to exclusivity deals with a particular provider. The apartment owners get some extra cash, and the cable providers get a whole bunch of people who have to purchase their product.

Just ask the landlord if there's any way you can install the dish without causing any trouble.

If it's for the hole drills, then I completely see his perspective since in extreme cases, water/snow gets in and the brick or whatever material gets damaged through freeze-thaw.

Tie-wraps maybe? Just throwing that out but either way, don't do anything that's going to get you kicked out.

What is likely is that they have a deal with the cable company. A lot of apartment complexes agree to exclusivity deals with a particular provider. The apartment owners get some extra cash, and the cable providers get a whole bunch of people who have to purchase their product.

this might not be legal in the US within the next few years and for all I know it is not legal in the US now.

BTW - If I were the landlord, I'd argue that the dishes were unsightly.

May be the case; we have a centralized installation with Videotron, since we need a subscription with them to connect to the surveillance camera

Just ask the landlord if there's any way you can install the dish without causing any trouble.

If it's for the hole drills, then I completely see his perspective since in extreme cases, water/snow gets in and the brick or whatever material gets damaged through freeze-thaw.

Tie-wraps maybe? Just throwing that out but either way, don't do anything that's going to get you kicked out.

I'll try again; if not, I'll have to suck it up; at least, Videotron is now offering HBO ^_^

Regarding the holes, I know there is some stuff the cable guys use to make sure there is no problem with the cold, snow, etc....

However, it's an old building, so that may not be a difference maker

Edited by rafikz

HBO Canada, which sucks balls.

True, but still better than no HBO I guess.

Plus, you have to add TMN to have HBO Canada, and Super Ecran > TMN

I also want NBA Raptors TV and TSN 2(sigh)

Depending on where you have windows in your place you could put it inside and point it out through a window.

Well, my appartment is perfectly located for that: downtown, 11th floor, no building blocking the view, windows pointing from Hydroquebec building to Mount Royal (South - West - North).

If you point it out through a window, you have to put a plexiglass, which wouldn't be convenient with the noise and the cold weather (I guess)