Montreal University Course Explores "Religion" That Is Habs

kenadian

Funky idea but I'd tone down on the religion part.

The Habs are a trend right now, it's a normal occurrence for all sport teams that do well. People tend to forget that it wasn't that long ago that the Bell Centre wasn't selling out each night. In fact, I remember that about 1 or 2 years before the lock out, no one gave a crap about the Habs. Everything exploded when the Habs made the playoffs and people out of no where were cheering and going nuts. In fact, if you look closely, half of these people aren't even hockey fans, they're just Canadiens fans. They don't know jack about anything else in the NHL aside the Habs basics.

Tons of habs/hockey talk is related to religion.

«Nos bras meurtris vous tendent le flambeau, à vous de le porter bien haut»

Sainte-Flanelle

Jesus Price

funny...

Tons of habs/hockey talk is related to religion.

«Nos bras meurtris vous tendent le flambeau, à vous de le porter bien haut»

Sainte-Flanelle

Jesus Price

funny...

That's not a religious reference, it's a translation from a line in the famous World War 1 Canadian Army poem "In Flanders Fields"

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

That's not a religious reference, it's a translation from a line in the famous World War 1 Canadian Army poem "In Flanders Fields"

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

true. But I always thought it has a little religious twist in this sentence/poem.

On another hand, do other teams like Yankees, Red Sox, NYR or Red Wings have a kind of slogan like that ? or only the Habs ?

Funky idea but I'd tone down on the religion part.

The Habs are a trend right now, it's a normal occurrence for all sport teams that do well. People tend to forget that it wasn't that long ago that the Bell Centre wasn't selling out each night. In fact, I remember that about 1 or 2 years before the lock out, no one gave a crap about the Habs. Everything exploded when the Habs made the playoffs and people out of no where were cheering and going nuts. In fact, if you look closely, half of these people aren't even hockey fans, they're just Canadiens fans. They don't know jack about anything else in the NHL aside the Habs basics.

With all do respect, I completely disagree. For starters, the Canadiens as a religion goes back, well about 99 years ago. It's not a new idea. As for nobody giving a "crap", uh, not in my circle of friends, family, workplace, neighborhood, street. Re-energized, maybe. As for knowing jack about hockey, who really cares about the Phoenix Coyotes 3rd line centre? The bottom line is Habs fans are some of the most knowledgable about the game, if they aren't, than who is??

If this is true and the Habs are a religion, then fans should apply for official religious status so that they can have their own holidays, their own religious freedoms, and maybe start a Holy War or two against anyone they dislike.

If this is true and the Habs are a religion, then fans should apply for official religious status so that they can have their own holidays, their own religious freedoms, and maybe start a Holy War or two against anyone they dislike.

How much would you bet that I'll not be working during a SC final game 7 if the Habs reach this ? I'll create my own holiday...

With all do respect, I completely disagree. For starters, the Canadiens as a religion goes back, well about 99 years ago. It's not a new idea. As for nobody giving a "crap", uh, not in my circle of friends, family, workplace, neighborhood, street. Re-energized, maybe. As for knowing jack about hockey, who really cares about the Phoenix Coyotes 3rd line centre? The bottom line is Habs fans are some of the most knowledgable about the game, if they aren't, than who is??

I'm not saying that everyone in your area aren't real hockey fans or Habs fans. I'm just speaking generally from what I've seen over the past years.

You're going to tell me there are as many Habs fans today as back in the days when Jeff Hackett was the starting goalie for Montreal?

Yes, there are loyal fans who have been following the team since they were kids but don't expect me to believe that this recent surgence of "Habs-mania" is not related one bit to the team's success.

It is always related to the teams success and as I said previously, no one gave a crap when they sucked (except for the true fans).

Calling it a religion following is a joke. It's just good timing with excellent marketing from the Habs brass. We all seem to forget that it wasn't that long ago that the team was being sold and there weren't many buyers for it to the point where some people thought the team was being moved.

I'm not saying that everyone in your area aren't real hockey fans or Habs fans. I'm just speaking generally from what I've seen over the past years.

You're going to tell me there are as many Habs fans today as back in the days when Jeff Hackett was the starting goalie for Montreal?

Yes, there are loyal fans who have been following the team since they were kids but don't expect me to believe that this recent surgence of "Habs-mania" is not related one bit to the team's success.

It is always related to the teams success and as I said previously, no one gave a crap when they sucked (except for the true fans).

Calling it a religion following is a joke. It's just good timing with excellent marketing from the Habs brass. We all seem to forget that it wasn't that long ago that the team was being sold and there weren't many buyers for it to the point where some people thought the team was being moved.

Ok, now you proved you don't get it. The Habs and Leafs were always said to be the two Canadian teams that would never move, ever. Hockey in this area has always been thought of as "religion" like. You're taking the word religion to literally.

Maybe YOU don't get it!

Nah, I'm just messing with you. I know what you mean with the whole religious aspect. I just think it's taken a little too extreme.

Well you got me, it is a game after all eh...

I Think it's kinda obvious that there are more "fans" today!! Like any other sports franchise throughout the world, when a team does well (wins championships, is doing well in the standings) it's normal for the fanbase to "swell". There are fairweather fans in every city and in every sport.

It's just good timing with excellent marketing from the Habs brass.

The Habs brass have nothing to do with this course.

I Think it's kinda obvious that there are more "fans" today!! Like any other sports franchise throughout the world, when a team does well (wins championships, is doing well in the standings) it's normal for the fanbase to "swell". There are fairweather fans in every city and in every sport.

it is not necessarily a fair weather phenomenon - or at least the phenomenon should not be tagged with an apparently derogatory moniker. When the habs sucked, they were less entertaining to watch - is there some moral aspect to fandom that says I have to be just as excited and involved in my team when they don't have the decency to ice a competitive team? Look at teams like Toronto where the team is able to fill the arena regardless of the quality of their product - why should Toronto ever make a real effort to win? It is reasonable to argue that a real fan must punish his or her team for its failures and reward the team for its successes. I have definitely made a greater effort to catch games since around 2003-4 when the team started to rise to the next level. I have definitely bought more Montreal paraphernalia since they decided not to suck. Is that "fair weather"? perhaps, but the alternative is kinda silly.

it is not necessarily a fair weather phenomenon - or at least the phenomenon should not be tagged with an apparently derogatory moniker. When the habs sucked, they were less entertaining to watch - is there some moral aspect to fandom that says I have to be just as excited and involved in my team when they don't have the decency to ice a competitive team? Look at teams like Toronto where the team is able to fill the arena regardless of the quality of their product - why should Toronto ever make a real effort to win? It is reasonable to argue that a real fan must punish his or her team for its failures and reward the team for its successes. I have definitely made a greater effort to catch games since around 2003-4 when the team started to rise to the next level. I have definitely bought more Montreal paraphernalia since they decided not to suck. Is that "fair weather"? perhaps, but the alternative is kinda silly.

Enthusiastically agreed.

Great points Simonus!

I've been folowing the Habs since I was wearing diapers(I stopped wearing them when I was 18 :D;);):lol: ) Seriously, i've been following them since the early 80's. It's true that the dark years (1998-99 to 2002-03) were hard on the fans, but I still watched 90% of their games...just like I do today. I cheered just as much as I did back then...the only difference is that i didn't get mad as much back then, cause I somewhat expected them to lose quite a few games. Whereas today, i am harder on them.

I must admit that I have purchased some paraphenalia lately, but that's mostly because I have more disposable income today compared to 10 years ago.

The Roy trade was my "lost in the wilderness" moment. When I bothered to attend service, I wasn't fully invested in the goings on. I had a small resurgence of faith in the 1998 playoffs, but that turned out to be fleeting. It wasn't until Saku got cancer that I started to gain perspective again about my faith. I came back in time for that incredible revival of faith in 2001-02, and have stuck with it ever since.

The Roy trade was my "lost in the wilderness" moment. When I bothered to attend service, I wasn't fully invested in the goings on. I had a small resurgence of faith in the 1998 playoffs, but that turned out to be fleeting. It wasn't until Saku got cancer that I started to gain perspective again about my faith. I came back in time for that incredible revival of faith in 2001-02, and have stuck with it ever since.

Interesting. Saku gets a bad cancer which has a less than 50% survival rate over five years. The pessimist would call him the walking dead. Now that he's been cancer-free for more than five years (permanent remission is what it's called, I think) does that mean he's been resurrected?

Is Saku Koivu the Jesus of the Religion of the Habitant?