The "Perfect" NHL

Quebecois

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=727

What are some of your thoughts on what the perfect NHL would look like? Would you make any rule changes? Would you eliminate any franchises or add any new ones? What would the new CBA look like? Offer up your opinions on your version of the Perfect NHL.

<b><i>Edit: A couple of new articles...

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=728

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=729

</b></i>

[Edited on 2004-11-14 by puck7x]

[Edited on 2004-12-29 by sakiqc]

Good article Quebecois...

I'd make alot of changes,

- Goalie equipment back to 80's sizes

- Bring back the tag-up offside

- Ban hard plastic pads! They cause more injuries then they prevent. (Hey did I just agree with Don Cherry? lol)

- I'd consider bringing back the rule that players serve FULL 2 minute penalties (instead of the penalty ending on a goal)

Plus I'd market the NHL better in the States.

-Eliminate the Panthers, Florida doesn't need 2 teams

-Eliminate a team from California

-Tag up offsides

-Find a way to force the refs to actually crack down on obstruction, as opposed to talking about it and never doing anything

-Luxury tax: I hate the idea of the NHL being like the NFL and NBA where teams fall apart simply because of the cap. At the same time, a limit needs to be put on contracts

-NEVER go to shootouts: It's a team game, don't settle games individually

-Put money into marketing the league in the states

[Edited on 11-13-04 by Fanpuck33]

<i>-NEVER go to shootouts: It's a team game, don't settle games individually </i>

While i see your point here, i am just tired of ties and i think this is an easy way to generate fan interest. Soccer pulls it off and it has created some of the more memorable moments in Sport.

<i>- I'd consider bringing back the rule that players serve FULL 2 minute penalties (instead of the penalty ending on a goal)

</i>

Thats one thing i forgot to include, i do like that idea. Would create more scoring and would create stiffer punishments for the scrubs who are hooking and holding.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

I have absolutely nothing against ties, especially if it means keeping the game a purely team sport.  

But for example: if there is a 0-0 after 60 minutes + OT and one team only went so far because of his goalie (for e.g. he made 40 saves and his team was deeply outplayed), that's also an individual effort ... and so the other team gets another chance to win the game.

Anyways the Shootout would be a great addition to the NHL, here in Europe it's working perfectly and it's quite exciting.

BTW. I think that eliminating the red line won't make much of a change ... here in Europe we don't have a red line but do we score more goals than in the NHL? Absolutely not and it don't really affect the game. ;)

Originally posted by HABS Fan Nr.1

But for example: if there is a 0-0 after 60 minutes + OT and one team only went so far because of his goalie (for e.g. he made 40 saves and his team was deeply outplayed), that's also an individual effort

First of all, if it is 0-0, it would be really hard for one team to clearly outplay the other, as neither team allowed a goal.

Secondly, in regulation, the goalie is part of the team, and his job is to stop shots when his D allows them. In a shootout, it's 1-1, he has no team in front of him, and it truly does become individual.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

First of all, if it is 0-0, it would be really hard for one team to clearly outplay the other, as neither team allowed a goal.

Secondly, in regulation, the goalie is part of the team, and his job is to stop shots when his D allows them.  In a shootout, it's 1-1, he has no team in front of him, and it truly does become individual.  

For me outplaying an opponent mustn't have to do anything with scoring (the most) goals ... you can also clearly dominate a team for the whole 60 minutes without scoring a goal. The other goalie just needs a great day and it could also become an individual effort from one player.

I have never said that a shootout isn't indvidual .... of course it is and I really like it, even when we're playing. *fg* ;)

[Edited on 15-11-04 by HABS Fan Nr.1]

I didn't say that it necessarily had to do with scoring. I'm just saying in a 0-0 game, it is very hard for either team to clearly dominate, as both teams had to have played solid D. Sure, goalies steal games, but not on a regular basis.

BTW. I think that eliminating the red line won't make much of a change ... here in Europe we don't have a red line but do we score more goals than in the NHL? Absolutely not and it don't really affect the game.

What?! I don't know what kind of hockey you're into but in Sweden and Finland hockey changed when they throw the redline in the wastebin.

Ever heard of the Swedish trap? Or 1-3-1? That kind of play just don't work when there's no redline.

I don't think that anyone in Sweden want to reintroduce redline offside. And to me there's a mystery that this hasn't been tested properly in North America.

@ch_nl: I just wanted to note that eliminating the red line doesn't make much of a chance when there should be more offence, more goals. That's the main reason why they want to do that in the NHL, they think they will get a wide more open game and more goals. I haven't said that it is a bad thing, but for me it doesn't make more offence ... as I've said, in Europe there is also not more offence/more goals without the red line.

I would like to see what would happen if u eliminated offside and just used redline offside, Think of a powerplay when the teams cannot go offside... GOALS!!!

about ending games with penaltyshots... no thanks they have used it in sweden a few years but stopped using it this year.

[Edited on 2004/11/22 by Dalhabs]

-Contract Atlanta, Anaheim, Carolina, Miami, Nashville, Phoenix and have a draft for the players on those teams.

-Build a similiar salary structure as the NFL

-No touch icing, tag-up offsides

-No players under 20 playing

-70 game seasons

-Full penalties regardless of goals

-Earlier trade deadline

-Best of 5 in the first round

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

-Contract Atlanta, Anaheim, Carolina, Miami, Nashville, Phoenix and have a draft for the players on those teams.

I assume Miami is the Florida Panthers?

Build a similiar salary structure as the NFL

Teams shouldn't be forced to give up their players just because of the cap. Teams should be able to keep the players they already have. I agree we need to come up with a way to prevent few teams from signing all the great players, but it isn't fair for teams to have to waive players who they have brought up through the draft and minors simply because they improve and deserve more money.

-70 game seasons

-Best of 5 in the first round

This only decreases team revenue, and I don't think any changes should be made to the current playoff system. The NHL playoffs are already by far the most exciting of any sport.

I am interested to see what comes of Shanni's self created forum in Toronto. There is a good showing of people from around the HL and you have to credit his guts to actually call it in the enviroment that exists.

What sort of things do you guys think they will actually come up with?

Will it have any impact being player driven? (as opposed to Campbell?)

shannahan's symposium could advance the popularity of some of the less popular and less paradigm shifting measures suggested by the earlier NHL run conference. Perhaps no-touch icing and touch-up offsides... relatively simple and cheap to implement with small effect on gameplay.

I imagine that there will be little of immense consequence put forth by the committee. Certainly 4 on 4 will not be up for discussion, nor red-line and ice surface size.

I could see them agreeing with enlarged blue lines.... it would be very nice of them to endorce greater enforcement of obstruction rules.

[Edited on 12/8/2004 by simonus]

• 4 weeks later...

Wow...I'd do a LOT of things different.

1) Tag up offsides re-instated.

2) move the nets back to where they used to be

3) move the blue lines back a foot or two.

4) remove hard plastic pads from the shoulders and elbow pads, they cause injury...

5) penalties should be a full 2 minutes

6) refs would be held more accountable for poor calls

7) suspensions would be tougher and more evenly applied

8) remove the following teams: Florida, Anaheim, Carolina, Nashville

9) move Pittsburgh to Quebec OR Winnipeg

10) instate a rule that NO team is allowed to lose money for 3 years in a row without ownership losing the franchise

11) look into starting a World Club Cup where various league champs from some leagues play each other...like the champions league in soccer. Might take a few years before other leagues catch-up to the NHL but it could/will happen eventually.

12) Instate a Salary Cap...with a minimum and maximum payroll limit. Increase revenue sharing. With more teams having an even share of revenue and limited in their payroll spending the league will have a greater level of parity. I don't agree with whoever said teams can fall off: prime examples are the New England Patriots and LA Lakers!!! They were/are cap dynasties.

13) I agree with a shootout after 1 full period of OT in the playoffs...but not regular season.

14) Shorten the season to about 70 games

15) Make rosters 3-4 players smaller...thus removing 4th lines like we used to have.

Another thing I've bandied about that is much more drastic.

I'd start looking into league formats for hockey similar to soccer in Europe. A 1st division, 2nd division and 3rd division league...teams can be relegated to a lower tier league if they are among the 3 worst in their division. Say the top 20 teams in the NHL are division 1, division 2 is made up of the worst 10 from NHL and top 10 from AHL/IHL, division 3 is the rest of the AHL and IHL. It would require a merger of the various leagues under one governing body. It would also force teams to spend money wisely, develop players better, etc. It would also require a complete overhall of how we draft, acquire and develop through the minors. Probably too drastic to accomplish but it would solve a number of issues with owner stupidity IMO. This could also lead to a closer affiliation with a European league that could be set up similarily and would be across a number of countries(Russia, Sweden, Finland, etc) It would mean a larger more wealthy league in Europe that would have a high level of talent and could lead to club tournaments that would generate a higher level of interest in the sport.

[Edited on 2004/12/31 by Zowpeb]

• 2 weeks later...

I'll give this a try.....

-Cut to 24 teams. Eliminate Phoenix, Florida, Anaheim, Nashville, Carolina, Atlanta. Move Pittsburgh to Winnipeg.

Wales Confrence

Montreal

Toronto

Ottawa

New York

Long Island

Philadelphia

Tampa Bay

Atlanta

New Jersey

Washington

Buffalo

Boston

Campbell Confrence

Detroit

Chicago

Winnipeg

Columbus

Vancouver

Calgary

Edmonton

San Jose

Los Angeles

Colorado

Minnesota

St. Louis

The season:

-3 preseason best of 3 tournaments, with the Canadian teams & Buffalo, and then the rest of each confrence in a tourney each. This would increase intrest at the begining of the year, and allow new trophies to be awarded, and to increase fan intrest in their local teams/rivalries. This would accompany the removal of the preseason, and a reduction in reg season games....

-That would be 4 games in confrence, and 2 outside, meaning 68 games. :hockey:

-Playoffs would remain the same.

Dun Dun Dun Dun, Do Do, Dun Dun, Money....

-55% of income guaranteed to players, salary cap/floor. In exchange, players recive free agency at 28.

Rules

-OT eliminated in regular season, WLT is it in the regular season.

-Limited puckhandling for goalies

-Touch up offsides, auto icing