Official MLB Discussion Thread

Quebecois

The Blue Jays had terrible starting pitching this past season and good hitting. So of course, logic dictates you keep the pitching coach and fire the hitting instructor. At least that's Toronto's puzzling logic.

How about St. Louis starter Michael Wacha. He takes a no-hit bid into the 9th in his last regular season start and takes a no hitter into the 8th in an elimination game today. That's getting hot at the right time.

The Blue Jays had terrible starting pitching this past season and good hitting. So of course, logic dictates you keep the pitching coach and fire the hitting instructor. At least that's Toronto's puzzling logic.

How about St. Louis starter Michael Wacha. He takes a no-hit bid into the 9th in his last regular season start and takes a no hitter into the 8th in an elimination game today. That's getting hot at the right time.

Wacha great performance !! ^_^

That's what the 'Last Channel' button on a remote is for. I'll be flipping between it and Oakland-Detroit (may take a peek at the NFL game as well).

Will totally switch everytime the whistle is blown.

The Biggest Flaw anyone can point out in John Gibbons (and the coaches) is how fundamentally flawed this team is.

Fundamentals of good fielding, good decision making, good baserunning, good hitting, they are ATTROCIOUS in Toronto. They just don't make smart situational decisions based on the score and situation. That has to come from the manager and coaches.

Look at St.Louis, they have bad defence as far as Range, Arm Strength, Skill at a few key positions like 2nd base, SS, 3rd, Corner OF, 1b (with Craig injured).... yes they have the best catcher in baseball.... but above all else their defence is good because fundamentally they play good baseball and make smart decisions with the ball.

They do the same with great situational hitting and hitting with RISP.

This and some power arms, and you have one of the best teams in baseball.

• 3 weeks later...

Just read Comm. post today. He's not wrong. I believe there is a 24 or 48 hr delay after World Series, then the off season can begin (signings)? That's a question not a statement.

Yep, there will be a lot of signing news in the next few days. Most options have to be exercised by Monday (unless specified otherwise in their contract) and the deadline for qualifying offers for free agents is also on Monday. The Jays have 4 player options and the Josh Johnson QO decision to make between now and then.

Important dates and whatnot are here: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/2014-mlb-free-agent-tracker-and-important-dates.html

• 3 weeks later...

If the physical tests are allright, Prince Fielder is moving to Texas. The Tigers will receive Ian Kinsler and most probably another player or a amount of money.

Didn't really see that one coming.

The final deal is Fielder and $30 M to Texas for Kinsler. (There's no way Texas was sending money on top of taking on Fielder's expensive deal.) I'm like you, I didn't see that coming but it makes sense. It frees up a bit more money for Detroit to extend Scherzer (and allows Cabrera to get away from 3B and go to 1B) while Texas opens up a full-time spot for the highly-touted Jurickson Profar.

The final deal is Fielder and $30 M to Texas for Kinsler. (There's no way Texas was sending money on top of taking on Fielder's expensive deal.) I'm like you, I didn't see that coming but it makes sense. It frees up a bit more money for Detroit to extend Scherzer (and allows Cabrera to get away from 3B and go to 1B) while Texas opens up a full-time spot for the highly-touted Jurickson Profar.

Misread the article on RDS. They clearly said the money was going the other way. My bad.

Brian McCann goes to the Yankees, 5 years, $85 M with a $15 M option for a sixth year. He'll be 30 starting next season, I can't see him catching full-time for the duration of that contract. I also thought they weren't looking to be huge spenders since they want to stay under the luxury tax threshold (to reset the repeat offender charge). This would seem to go against that, especially if they want to go after Tanaka. Even if the posting fee isn't part of the tax calculation, his salary will also be pricey.

It was a busy day yesterday with it being the non-tender deadline. The Blue Jays got Dioner Navarro as their new starter, Jim Johnson went to Oakland (so too did Scott Kazmir - where did they get their money from?), Doug Fister to Washington for a surprisingly low price, and AJ Pierzynski to Boston.

And best of all, the Blue Jays released Arencibia. My reaction:

Oakland is losing Colon and Balfour, so thats why they are getting replacements...

That much makes sense but those two weren't making anywhere near $21 million (11 for Kazmir, Johnson's pegged for 10+ in arbitration). That's a big jump in payroll for them unless there's another cost-cutting move coming (which would be my guess).

That much makes sense but those two weren't making anywhere near $21 million (11 for Kazmir, Johnson's pegged for 10+ in arbitration). That's a big jump in payroll for them unless there's another cost-cutting move coming (which would be my guess).

Now they picked up Craig Gentry too.

It sounds like Brett Anderson will be moved but thats not a big money saver.

It might just be that management is willing to spend a little more this year, and are all in to win.

Now they picked up Craig Gentry too.

It sounds like Brett Anderson will be moved but thats not a big money saver.

It might just be that management is willing to spend a little more this year, and are all in to win.

Anderson makes $8M this year so if he goes for a futures return (or 0-3 service time players) that probably would offset a lot of it. Given his injury woes though, are they going to be able to unload him without taking a contract or two back?

Let me know when the ALPHA lions are done feeding. Maybe then we can talk Blue Jays

The Jays were never going to be in on the big hitters. It's pitching where their biggest focus is and most of the big guns are waiting on the MLB/NPB posting deal for Tanaka. The higher end pitchers is where their free agent focus is and they've already admitted as such. That market hasn't really developed yet.

That all said, I think they wind up going the trade route and not the FA route to try and get a player with a couple years of control left on a cheaper deal than the likes of Garza in free agency.

Some surprising signings lately:

- Saltalamacchia to the Marlins - talk about going for the money; he goes from a World Series team to a squad that won't be competitive any time soon.

- Brian Wilson gets $10 mil guaranteed from the Dodgers. They already have a ton of relievers, paying that much to their setup guy is nuts.

- Ellsbury to the Yankees for 7 years *$153 mil), I can't see him being that type of player for more than a few more years.

And most of all, Robinson Cano to Seattle? It sounds like they've agreed on a 10 year, $240 million deal. The Yankees' last offer was 7/175. I thought he was re-signing for sure but the Ellsbury deal probably took them out of contention since they're trying to stay under the luxury tax this year. Meanwhile, Seattle is still a long way from contention even with Cano, this one doesn't make a ton of sense.