Senat-izing the habs players

alexstream

Ok, this is a weird topic.

but in another thread, I was talking about how, IMO, Jacques Martin is responsible for Hossa and Havlat's greatness among others (and Spezza hasn't fully developped into an elite player because Martin left would be a good theory), just as you can say that Ken Hitchcock transformed Modano into a great player aware of his defensive play... and the same about Bowman and Fedorov if you want.

With the Habs, we've let a lot of projects slip through our nets, just think about the raw talent of Marcel Hossa, Ron Hainsey, Alex Perezhogin, etc.. who buttended their carreers with the habs.

So I'm think that Martin could have a positive effect on our players, teaching them to the next level. Showing them how to become great NHL players.

We've seen that the Higgins and Kost (to name only them two) have stalled in their developpement. they were extremely promising and stopped to a level which leaves a sour taste in our mouth... we thought they could keep on improving.

We it is my strong opinion that they CAN make it to the next level... and that's the exercise I want to do with you :

Trying to predict what our players upside are from now on.

Off the top of my head (can't take the whole roster right now, I'm at work, you know!), using the difficulty level to use only Sens players (you don't have to):

Lapierre : Mike Fischer

A. Kost : Martin Havlat

Emelin : Volchenkov

Higgins : 2/3 version of Alfie (60 pts)

on a side note, it will be interesting to see what Martin can do with a good team (which he didn't have in FLA) AND a good goalie (which he didn't have in Ottawa)

more thinking of Sheldon Souray.

PK Subban, seems more mobile than Souray was.

And no where near as physically intimidating. Not to say he lacks toughness, as Campbell has proven that even mobile, smaller defensemen can throw big hits from time to time.

And no where near as physically intimidating. Not to say he lacks toughness, as Campbell has proven that even mobile, smaller defensemen can throw big hits from time to time.

ok ok, give me of that soup.

I'm sincerelly glad that we've got a teacher as a Coach.

I mean, the time where the Samsonov perform with other teams but not with us are over.

A guy like Maurice (and I suspect Martin) can take castaways and make them perform to a interesting level.

Speaking of mobile d-men, Mike Green can lay some pretty mean hits. He hasn't done much of that at the NHL level so far, but I'm sure as he gets more acclimatized to the speed of oncoming attackers he'll pick up his hitting game as well.

But I thought we could only compare our players to Martin-era Senators guys in this thread?

I have high hopes for what Martin will be able to do with our young players, he has a good record when you look at all the quality youth that came out of Ottawa's system. We still have a good young core, but all of them except Lapierre regressed last season. Plekanec and Higgins look like players that can be solid at both ends of the ice, and can round out a good top 6 if there are legitimate stars with them. The Kostitsyns need to be handled properly, somehow get Andre to not be a useless dullard so often (and he's nowhere near the player Havlat was, by the way). Sergei should have a bounce back year, hopefully. Maybe run with a different crowd and buy into the team system. Pacioretty should be with us from the beginning, and he can definitely contribute to an energetic 3rd or 4th line. D'Agostini too, but he needs to play defense too.