Bulldogs Offseason Tracker Thread

dlbalr

May as well track all the Bulldogs stuff in one thread and see how the roster builds itself up over the summer - if you look on the main page of the site, you'll see a UFA tracker for Hamilton.

ham_500.jpg

Returning players:

D Chad Anderson (re-signed to AHL deal)

D Shawn Belle

D Mathieu Carle

F Andrew Conboy

F David Desharnais

G Cedrick Desjardins

F Mike Glumac (re-signed a 1-year deal)

D Alex Henry (re-signed a 1-year deal)

F Ben Maxwell

F Ryan Russell

D Frederic St. Denis (I'm assuming Hamilton exercised their TO as he's at camp)

F Brock Trotter

F Ryan White

F/D J.T. Wyman

Newcomers:

D Andre Benoit (RFA re-signing after 2 years overseas)

D Michael Busto (trade)

F Mathieu Darche (UFA)

F Olivier Fortier (prospect)

F Mikael Johansson (UFA)

F Dany Massé (UFA)

F Eric Neilson (AHL signed UFA)

G Robert Mayer (UFA signed early last season)

F Tom Pyatt (trade)

G Curtis Sanford

D P.K. Subban (prospect)

Confirmed departures:

F Mathieu Aubin (Bakersfield, ECHL)

G Marc Denis (retired)

D Dan Jancevski (transfer to Texas, AHL)

D Doug Janik (trade)

D T.J. Kemp (Germany)

F Olivier Latendresse (Tryout with Manitoba, AHL)

F Yanick Lehoux (Sweden)

F Tyler Shelast (transfer to Texas, AHL)

Players not listed here but appear on the main page are currently UFA's looking for new homes.

Bubble players/question marks:

F Kyle Chipchura (waivers - highly doubtful to return)

F Matt D'Agostini (waivers- highly doubtful to return)

F Max Pacioretty (could make Habs out of camp)

F Gregory Stewart (waivers- highly doubtful to return)

D Yannick Weber (could make Habs out of camp)

My assessment on what's needed & predictions on going to happen next:

Predictions:

The 8 UFA's currently listed on the main site will not be re-signed.

A veteran AHL goalie will replace Denis on the roster, as Desjardins was too up and down last season to be counted on as a true starter. My guess for who that will be? EDM's Dany Sabourin. (I was half right, I figured they wouldn't give Desjardins the #1 job...)

Assessment:

Another veteran d-man wouldn't hurt, especially if Weber (or Subban) makes the team out of camp. Bringing Henry back will help on the physical side of things, but there's not a lot of solid defensive d-men on the current roster.

One or two more forwards (for the sake of the team, I hope solid veterans like Darche) are also needed - considering the development path taken in years past, players like Fortier and Massé may start in the ECHL (although Boucher taking over as coach may help Massé somewhat). Someone's gotta fill those spots, plus a little injury depth never hurts, especially considering how depleted the Bulldogs were last season.

I'll update this thread and the notes as moves are made throughout the offseason. If I missed someone, please let me know as I'm basing this solely off memory...

I think Lacasse never was under contract with the Habs, am I wrong?

Aubin had plenty of chances but got injured almost every season. When you're a prospect and there's a constant influx of new guys coming in year after year, you can't take 3 years to progress. See Christian Larrivée.

BTW, I highly doubt that Fortier has to go to the ECHL at first. Maybe Massé.

BTW, Johnson, Kishel & Paquet are over 20 now, any word if they'll be brought in?

Also, there's a clog at center. Chips & Lehoux prob wont be in Hamilton, but that still leaves Maxwell, Desharnais, Fortier, Johansson, White, Russell, Massé, O. Latendresse.

i think Chipchura has to go through waivers before being sent down. Maybe he'd be taken but I doubt it.

I think Lacasse never was under contract with the Habs, am I wrong?

Aubin had plenty of chances but got injured almost every season. When you're a prospect and there's a constant influx of new guys coming in year after year, you can't take 3 years to progress. See Christian Larrivée.

Lacasse signed a 3-year entry level deal just before his final junior season, a deal the Habs surely regretted giving by the time he turned pro.

BTW, I highly doubt that Fortier has to go to the ECHL at first. Maybe Massé.

BTW, Johnson, Kishel & Paquet are over 20 now, any word if they'll be brought in?

Also, there's a clog at center. Chips & Lehoux prob wont be in Hamilton, but that still leaves Maxwell, Desharnais, Fortier, Johansson, White, Russell, Massé, O. Latendresse.

Paquet has to be signed by August 15th or the Habs lose his rights - considering they didn't bother inviting him to the prospect camp, it's highly doubtful he'll be signed.

Johnson and Kishel still have NCAA eligibility left, both will likely return to college next season.

You must have missed some of the notes in the first post with regards to the C position. Of course Lehoux won't be in Hamilton, he already signed in Sweden (thank goodness), and O. Latendresse was given his outright release like Lacasse was - he won't be back either.

Chipchura would have to clear to go to Hamilton now - another thing I've already noted in the first post...and I'm 99% sure someone would take a chance on him.

Fischer is a possibility here.

He does not dominate at University level but at least one year at the pro level.

Mcdonagh shipped out, now Fisher has to go up in the prospect chart.

I would trust Guy Boucher to make a pro out of him in two years.

Fischer is a possibility here.

He does not dominate at University level but at least one year at the pro level.

Mcdonagh shipped out, now Fisher has to go up in the prospect chart.

I would trust Guy Boucher to make a pro out of him in two years.

Fischer recently said in an interview that he plans on changing his training habits (which he claimed were poor) and finishing his degree before turning pro. So he's a year away if that's the case.

Fischer recently said in an interview that he plans on changing his training habits (which he claimed were poor) and finishing his degree before turning pro. So he's a year away if that's the case.

once he's showed the money he'll sign.

Ryan Obyrne finished his degree and what good did it make for his hockey career ??

Ryan Obyrne finished his degree and what good did it make for his hockey career ??

O'Byrne would have been stupid to not finish his degree before turning pro. It wasn't a hockey decision, it was a life decision. He was by no means a sure-fire NHLer, so it only made sense to have a degree to fall back on if hockey didn't work out for him. I will never, ever, fault a person who stays in school to finish his degree before turning pro. It's tougher to swallow in hockey than some other sports since guys are drafted before they even start school, but that doesn't really change my opinion. As a fan, I'll always hope guys turn pro so they can help the team sooner, but I'll fully respect them if they choose to go all 4 years.

once he's showed the money he'll sign.

Actually, he didn't. He played at Cornell for only 3 years.

And he's made the NHL (or at least earned a one way NHL contract for 3 years and just under $3m), so I fail to see how his decision has been a negative or a positive for him.

O'Byrne would have been stupid to not finish his degree before turning pro. It wasn't a hockey decision, it was a life decision. He was by no means a sure-fire NHLer, so it only made sense to have a degree to fall back on if hockey didn't work out for him. I will never, ever, fault a person who stays in school to finish his degree before turning pro. It's tougher to swallow in hockey than some other sports since guys are drafted before they even start school, but that doesn't really change my opinion. As a fan, I'll always hope guys turn pro so they can help the team sooner, but I'll fully respect them if they choose to go all 4 years.

neither will I.

but if you have the size and enough talent to play NHL(obyrne does) you should invest in you hockey development. each year you spend in school is a year "waisted" in your hockey career.

money wise players would make more money in the AHL than most of the degrees they study in.

besides, one can always go back st school once his hockey career is over.

Well, my guess for the AHL starter just signed with Boston - Dany Sabourin, a 1 year deal with the B's. Wonder if J-S Aubin could be an option, he was the Philly (AHL) starter last season if I'm not mistaken.

Well, my guess for the AHL starter just signed with Boston - Dany Sabourin, a 1 year deal with the B's. Wonder if J-S Aubin could be an option, he was the Philly (AHL) starter last season if I'm not mistaken.

Iowa's team just went under. It's possible we could get the Ducks' 3rd goalie.

money wise players would make more money in the AHL than most of the degrees they study in.

besides, one can always go back st school once his hockey career is over.

Starting out that's true, but not after you've put in 10 or 15 years, at least with a "good" degree.

The problem with quitting school and going back is that you end up almost having to start with scratch, because those classes you took even 5 years ago may end up up counting toward credit any longer. Any field where advancements can be made, things can become "archaic" rather quickly.

Starting out that's true, but not after you've put in 10 or 15 years, at least with a "good" degree.

The problem with quitting school and going back is that you end up almost having to start with scratch, because those classes you took even 5 years ago may end up up counting toward credit any longer. Any field where advancements can be made, things can become "archaic" rather quickly.

agreed but chances if you are a really smart and save some money, after 10-15 seasons, a college degree might not be necessary.

Iowa's team just went under. It's possible we could get the Ducks' 3rd goalie.

Could happen, but it wouldn't be ideal. I think the Habs want a veteran goalie they'd feel confident in calling up in case of injury rather than Desjardins.

Can someone make lines and pairing for the kick of it?

I don't know them well enough to be able to do lines myself.

Thanks

Here's a quick attempt for me:

Forwards:

Darche - Maxwell - Glumac

Johansson - Desharnais - Trotter (all C's on this line, though both MJ and BT can play wing)

Russell - White - Pyatt

Conboy - Fortier - Wyman (if he's not playing D)

SP - Neilson (Massé goes to Cincy for some PT)

Defence:

Belle - Subban

Benoit - Weber (assuming Weber doesn't crack the Habs)

Henry - Carle

SP - Anderson/St. Denis (Busto goes to Cincy, not sure if St. Denis' option was taken)

Goalies:

Desjardins

Mayer

To note, Andre Benoit finally got around to signing his deal - 1 year at the league minimum.

Based on today's lineup, one of those D will be in the NHL, and Pacioretty could very well be in the AHL. We'll see. And since Laraque is not going to be healthy to start training camp, I'd have to think Henry gets a long look.

Based on today's lineup, one of those D will be in the NHL, and Pacioretty could very well be in the AHL. We'll see. And since Laraque is not going to be healthy to start training camp, I'd have to think Henry gets a long look.

Did he have surgery or something? I don't recall hearing he wouldn't be healthy for training camp (unless converting to vegetarianism requires 3-4 months rehab :P )

Did he have surgery or something? I don't recall hearing he wouldn't be healthy for training camp (unless converting to vegetarianism requires 3-4 months rehab :P )

It was on RDS earlier this week. His back problems sound chronic. I don't know if he'll ever be truly healthy.

• 2 weeks later...

First post updated to reflect the signing of Curtis Sanford and the confirmed departure of T.J. Kemp. Why do I mention the latter? The Habs coughed up a conditional 7th round pick in the 2010 draft to get him - I don't know the conditions up front but I suspect that considering the fact he never played with Montreal and didn't re-sign that they may get that pick back after all.

First post updated to reflect the signing of Curtis Sanford and the confirmed departure of T.J. Kemp. Why do I mention the latter? The Habs coughed up a conditional 7th round pick in the 2010 draft to get him - I don't know the conditions up front but I suspect that considering the fact he never played with Montreal and didn't re-sign that they may get that pick back after all.

I thought maybe obtaining the last pick in the 2009 Entry Draft from Pittsburgh was related to it.

Nope, that cost the Habs their 6th round pick in 2010 interestingly enough.

I know, but because it was with Pittsburgh I thought maybe it was related. As in: T.J. Kemp and the last pick in 2009 for a 2010 6th rounder.

I know, but because it was with Pittsburgh I thought maybe it was related. As in: T.J. Kemp and the last pick in 2009 for a 2010 6th rounder.

In the end, you could possibly make it out to be that way as we'll likely hold onto the 7th - we get a few months from Kemp + Simila for that pick.