2010-11 General Bulldogs Discussion Thread

dlbalr

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Continue the discussion from the offseason here...since it's not the offseason anymore. :)

Offseason topic - http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?showtopic=22055

According to an article on the ECHL website, our boy Desnoyers had signed a contract with the Elmira Jackals prior to going to Hamilton and it was just a matter of returning him to his home club. i guess nobody knew he was already under contract.

According to an article on the ECHL website, our boy Desnoyers had signed a contract with the Elmira Jackals prior to going to Hamilton and it was just a matter of returning him to his home club. i guess nobody knew he was already under contract.

Not necessarily - a player can have separate AHL and ECHL contracts - the Bulldogs in theory could have signed Desnoyers to an two-way AHL deal and absorb the Elmira contract into it - they just would have been obligated to send him there and not to Wheeling.

Speaking of Wheeling, a pair of Bulldogs were sent down today, Bisaillon and Urquhart. I must say I'm surprised with Bisaillon, I didn't think he'd sign without an assurance he wouldn't be sent down (going from Germany to Wheeling is quite a drop in stature...and salary). Good that he's going at least.

Not necessarily - a player can have separate AHL and ECHL contracts - the Bulldogs in theory could have signed Desnoyers to an two-way AHL deal and absorb the Elmira contract into it - they just would have been obligated to send him there and not to Wheeling.

Speaking of Wheeling, a pair of Bulldogs were sent down today, Bisaillon and Urquhart. I must say I'm surprised with Bisaillon, I didn't think he'd sign without an assurance he wouldn't be sent down (going from Germany to Wheeling is quite a drop in stature...and salary). Good that he's going at least.

I was aware of most of that other than he would have to be sent to the club he had signed with in the ECHL. The point I was trying to make was when we were trying to sort out who was going to be signed and who was not it would be helpful to know if a player has a home somewhere else if all else fails. As for Basaillon, I wonder what he could command in Europe. My guess is presently not that much. He may be thinking along the line of short term pain for long term gain.

I was aware of most of that other than he would have to be sent to the club he had signed with in the ECHL. The point I was trying to make was when we were trying to sort out who was going to be signed and who was not it would be helpful to know if a player has a home somewhere else if all else fails. As for Basaillon, I wonder what he could command in Europe. My guess is presently not that much. He may be thinking along the line of short term pain for long term gain.

I think that the European window is likely pretty closed for him now that it's mid-October.

I think that the European window is likely pretty closed for him now that it's mid-October.

To be fair, Owen Nolan just signed overseas yesterday so it wouldn't be entirely impossible. Hard to see anyone going after a player who was cut from the AHL mind you so him bolting now may be a little difficult for that reason alone.

To be fair, Owen Nolan just signed overseas yesterday so it wouldn't be entirely impossible. Hard to see anyone going after a player who was cut from the AHL mind you so him bolting now may be a little difficult for that reason alone.

Oh, yeah, that's more what I meant. Guys like him signing with a good European league are probably out of luck, guys like Owen Nolan will always find work. If he wants to, I'm sure the Italian or Austrian league would bid over him, just not likely Switzerland or Finland.

Listening to the game tonight, turns out Alexander Avtsin wasn't hurt for the last couple of games, he was a healthy scratch. Also, as BlueKross noted in the Nov. 2 game thread, Hunter Bishop assigned to Wheeling.

Well, turns out the Delmas situation may only be short-term, he signed a 5-game contract with Wichita. Long live the lower leagues where you can sign 5-game deals. I shouldn't complain, a guy I used to go to high school with was signing 1-game deals throughout the SPHL last year so a 5-gamer is a step up I suppose.

http://www.wichitathunder.com/news/Press_R...rticle1102.html

Well, turns out the Delmas situation may only be short-term, he signed a 5-game contract with Wichita. Long live the lower leagues where you can sign 5-game deals. I shouldn't complain, a guy I used to go to high school with was signing 1-game deals throughout the SPHL last year so a 5-gamer is a step up I suppose.

http://www.wichitathunder.com/news/Press_R...rticle1102.html

You kind of wonder what that is all about. Maybe Wichita wants a look see before they decide on granting a longer commitment. Maybe its a window for Wheeling to move Modig or reevaluate the situation. Apparently his last game wasn't that bad. Aside from that, wasn't Wichita where they excommunicated, I am going to say Lacasse a couple of years back?

You kind of wonder what that is all about. Maybe Wichita wants a look see before they decide on granting a longer commitment. Maybe its a window for Wheeling to move Modig or reevaluate the situation. Apparently his last game wasn't that bad. Aside from that, wasn't Wichita where they excommunicated, I am going to say Lacasse a couple of years back?

It's essentially the equivalent for a PTO here for Delmas - if he does well, they'll let him stay for the year I would think. Modig though will stay in Wheeling, of that I'm positive - unless he bolts to go back home. This is a guy Pittsburgh traded for and gave a max signing bonus to, they're not going to try and fine a new home for him so the Habs can send a guy on a minor league deal down. That'd be nice, but unrealistic; Pittsburgh is the predominant (controlling) affiliate of this team - their players get priority in situations such as these as evidenced by Delmas being sent to the CHL. As for Lacasse, he was sent to Bloomington of the IHL when there was no room for him on the ECHL team.

It's essentially the equivalent for a PTO here for Delmas - if he does well, they'll let him stay for the year I would think. Modig though will stay in Wheeling, of that I'm positive - unless he bolts to go back home. This is a guy Pittsburgh traded for and gave a max signing bonus to, they're not going to try and fine a new home for him so the Habs can send a guy on a minor league deal down. That'd be nice, but unrealistic; is the predominant (controlling) affiliate of this team - their players get priority in situations such as these as evidenced by Delmas being sent to the CHL. As for Lacasse, he was sent to Bloomington of the IHL when there was no room for him on the ECHL team.

Thanx Dlbair. There are several NHL franchises that have affiliations in the CHL. Can you connect the dots on why Wichita? Do they know somebody there? Wichita was horrendous all of last year and the start of this year but have since put a pretty good winning streak together. I finally got what you are talking about Modig- My list did not have him as Pittsburg prospect but I see that he is. Hem.

Edited by BlueKross

Thanx Dlbair. There are several NHL franchises that have affiliations in the CHL. Can you connect the dots on why Wichita? Do they know somebody there? Wichita was horrendous all of last year and the start of this year but have since put a pretty good winning streak together. I finally got what you are talking about Modig- My list did not have him as Pittsburg prospect but I see that he is. Hem.

Skimming the CHL site, there's only 2 teams in that league with current NHL affiliations, Tulsa (Colorado) and Odessa (New York I) that I can find. Looking at Wichita, I can't see any affiliation to any team at any level - heck, aside from Delmas, there's only one player on their roster I've ever heard of. Interestingly enough, Delmas is the 2nd goalie on that team that played in the QMJHL last year, so I suppose they're basically extending tryouts until they find a goalie they like? As for why he was sent there, I suspect the main reason is that Wichita was willing to take him - rather than send him somewhere where he'd be a backup, at least he'll get a few games this way which is what he needs.

Skimming the CHL site, there's only 2 teams in that league with current NHL affiliations, Tulsa (Colorado) and Odessa (New York I) that I can find. Looking at Wichita, I can't see any affiliation to any team at any level - heck, aside from Delmas, there's only one player on their roster I've ever heard of. Interestingly enough, Delmas is the 2nd goalie on that team that played in the QMJHL last year, so I suppose they're basically extending tryouts until they find a goalie they like? As for why he was sent there, I suspect the main reason is that Wichita was willing to take him - rather than send him somewhere where he'd be a backup, at least he'll get a few games this way which is what he needs.

I have Columbus and Fort Wayne. Dallas was associated with Allen last year but I don't know about this year. Some of these agreements might be just hand shakes in this league sort of speak, much like the Delmas situatuon.

• 2 weeks later...
Ryan White was injured last night (knee) and will miss several weeks.

Incredible bad luck. I was sure that he was close to a recall. Next in line are Desharnais and Palushaj, not necessarily in this order.

BTW, Avstin is slowly getting used to North American play. His name appears more regularly in the stats.

Edited by JCPetit

According to my count, Delmas five game stint with Wichita should be done. We should soon hear what is going to happen.

The team has played 5 (or more) games but Delmas only 2. Perhaps the deal is structured to make it that he gets to play 5 games before the tryout expires? As it stands, their current #1 seems to be doing well which doesn't bode well for Delmas.

The team has played 5 (or more) games but Delmas only 2. Perhaps the deal is structured to make it that he gets to play 5 games before the tryout expires? As it stands, their current #1 seems to be doing well which doesn't bode well for Delmas.

You are not in the line-up if your the back-up? If I recall there other goalie just got healthy too. We will see what happens.

You are not in the line-up if your the back-up? If I recall there other goalie just got healthy too. We will see what happens.

You can be dressed but not play, Alex Auld is the perfect example of that. He has dressed for every game but heading into tonight has only played in one. Technically, that would mean he has only played once which means the same argument could be made for Delmas with his 2. I haven't gone game-by-game though, he simply may not have dressed for the games he hasn't played so I could be wrong.