2010-11 General Bulldogs Discussion Thread

dlbalr

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, but if I were from Hamilton, I would be pretty pissed on the shape they left them in.

I'm sure they are (heck, we're not happy about it and we're not from Hamilton), though the presence of House probably wouldn't have changed that mindset. With the potential for players to be back tonight for the Habs, both Dawes and Engqvist could be back as soon as tomorrow, giving a much needed boost in that Bonneau becomes a 4th liner again.

Quick notes:

- Bishop is out indefinitely after being hit from behind again Rockford. Apparently it was quite the jolt, Derek seemed to be implying that it's worthy of a suspension longer than Dumont's (10 games).

- Speaking of Dumont, I believe he has 4 games left to serve on his suspension meaning he'll be available at the start of next week.

- Wyman's PPG on Sunday night was the 1,000th in franchise history. My original sarcastic note a while back suggesting it'd take until April to hit this didn't prove to be that farfetched as there are only 2 March games left for the Bulldogs.

Dlbair- heard on buffalo radio, Hamilton signed someone from college- did not catch the name- check it out

Hf boards reporting Paul Zanette- I think I also heard Niagara Purple Eagles

GP G A Pts

6'1'' 195/ 35 29 26 55 +13

confirmed on Bulldog site/ stats from Niagara and on hockey db

Edited by BlueKross

Nothing wrong with a little extra depth, even better when the Habs don't even have to shell out a contract for him just yet. I assume there's an understanding that if the Habs want him, they'll get him on an entry-level deal for next year. He's a Hobey Baker award finalist, not bad when you can get one of those on a tryout.

Bit more on him: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/12909/four_prospects_among_top_ten_hobey_baker_finalists/

He's also a former Sudbury Wolves draft pick.....never reported though :( I thought I remembered him when I heard the name..........

zanette_paul.jpg

Paul Zanette

Level:Min. Midget-ON Team:York Simcoe Express Position:Left WingShoots: Height:6.00 Weight:180 Birthdate:April 8, 1988 Selected:Sudbury Wolves' 5th round pick,

85th overall.

http://ohldraft.ilap.com/ps2004/

Edited by kenadian

His numbers suggest he is a steal. Hobey Baker finalist is good. Dlbair maybe this the positive your looking for. Is there more to come? I guess the Bulldogs feel they are set at center for next year.

His numbers suggest he is a steal. Hobey Baker finalist is good. Dlbair maybe this the positive your looking for. Is there more to come? I guess the Bulldogs feel they are set at center for next year.

I don't want to get too excited about the guy. With Dumont coming back next week, he may not even play more than a handful of the remaining games on the schedule. At this point, he's just extra depth which is welcome in itself. I'll be curious to see if he's in against the Heat tonight.

I don't want to get too excited about the guy. With Dumont coming back next week, he may not even play more than a handful of the remaining games on the schedule. At this point, he's just extra depth which is welcome in itself. I'll be curious to see if he's in against the Heat tonight.

I don't think they sign him unless they have long term in mind. Goal scoring seems to be the problem right now for the dogs, thats why I believe they brought this kid in. Let me be the first to suggest that this is your new Paxman.

I don't think they sign him unless they have long term in mind. Goal scoring seems to be the problem right now for the dogs, thats why I believe they brought this kid in. Let me be the first to suggest that this is your new Paxman.

It's a tryout contract so I'm not sure they're thinking too long-term yet, they'd have guaranteed him a contract otherwise. Everyone's hoping he pans out but it's far too early to tell how successful he'll be. As I noted earlier, the fact the Bulldogs are in a dog fight to make the playoffs, how much of a chance is he going to get right now? Bishop got the extended look last year since Hamilton was in better shape, they could afford to throw him out there (and he did pretty well), but the same circumstances aren't there. That said, I wouldn't be against sitting Avtsin and trying this guy on the 3rd line, Avtsin's been useless for a couple months now, Zanette can't be any worse.

Shorter schedule next year? It's a rumour that's been swirling for a few weeks now. Found this note from a Rochester Amerks blog (and found that link on an AHL forum):

Nine days ago we wrote about the NHL's push for the AHL to trim the schedule from 80 games to 76 games (with the hope of eventually getting down to 72). The board of governors convened on Thursday and it's safe to assume they approved 76 for next season.

The league has made no announcement yet, but the fact that a special meeting was called means every team was surely "encouraged" to vote for the change.

http://blogs.democra...tely-no-reason/ (Pretty good read on Florida making a dumb mistake as well.)

Shorter schedule next year? It's a rumour that's been swirling for a few weeks now. Found this note from a Rochester Amerks blog (and found that link on an AHL forum):

Let me be so bold as to assume some of the rational. We can deduce that they want to finish up sooner, freeing up players for NHL teams that are making a run in later rounds. The yolk of their clear day roster and four call-up rule has become too burdensome.

Let me be so bold as to assume some of the rational. We can deduce that they want to finish up sooner, freeing up players for NHL teams that are making a run in later rounds. The yolk of their clear day roster and four call-up rule has become too burdensome.

I'd like for it to be that but I suspect the point is to eliminate some of the mid week games (and 4 in 5 or 5 in 6 situations) that lowers the quality of play and/or the quantity of people in the seats. In a lot of markets, mid week games simply don't draw so why bother having so many of them? It'd also allow for more possible callups during the week to NHL teams (a player could be called up for 2 games or so then sent back for AHL play over the weekend).

I'd like for it to be that but I suspect the point is to eliminate some of the mid week games (and 4 in 5 or 5 in 6 situations) that lowers the quality of play and/or the quantity of people in the seats. In a lot of markets, mid week games simply don't draw so why bother having so many of them? It'd also allow for more possible callups during the week to NHL teams (a player could be called up for 2 games or so then sent back for AHL play over the weekend).

Thanx Dlbair- Thanx- That makes sense. Except for the call-up part- The players might be more available but they would spend their four call-ups before the play-offs even started. I think there has to be more to it. I just put it out there to see if I could draw some fire and perhaps figure out what is going on.

Thanx Dlbair- Thanx- That makes sense. Except for the call-up part- The players might be more available but they would spend their four call-ups before the play-offs even started. I think there has to be more to it. I just put it out there to see if I could draw some fire and perhaps figure out what is going on.

The 4-game drop won't all be after the NHL Trade Deadline though, I meant more in terms of teams could be able to call a player up during the week before the 4-Recall rule comes into play (say mid-January as an example). If this proposal were to hold true, it would also allow for an actual training camp as the start of the season would be delayed a little, something the Bulldogs really haven't had much of lately. From all accounts, the plan may be to get down to 72 before long which I don't mind either.

Looks like it's Hamilton vs Oklahoma City in Round 1. Of all the matchups, that was not the one I wanted to see.

Yea, Edmonton/ Oklahoma will be formitable. On the good side we will get to see Tanner House and ex Dog Greg Stewart. For the record, Delmas has tended all of Wheelings first four games and has led them into the next round.

Louis Leblanc team is out for the playoffs. Montreal Jumior lost last night

and it went all silent in the media, much like all year. Leblanc was not bad

but not excellent either, he stills has a good vision of the ice but should have

been a factor much more than he had with a good coach and a strong team.

9 points in 10 games in playoffs seems good, but people need to know that bottom

teams in the Q make the playoffs so offensive players record lots of points in the first round.

On the so so side he is very poor at the face circle 45% in playoffs,51% in the season.

Leblanc should join the Bulldogs pretty soon, he will probably help defensively

but won't be a big boost for the Dogs, his game is too shaky this year.

Bournival a year younger has done a better job in the Q this year and he is a tough

nail out there, i see him and teammates battle Remparts to a 7 game serie and we had

a very good player for O'byrne.

If this could heal the pain of Leblanc not developping into a superstar, we have good players

that need polishing and will develop into good role players.