Going forward without Max-Pac

hab29RETIRED

Read the article on who we replace MaxPac with and I can't really agree with any of the choices.

Last night i just watched the last 5 min of the habs game - was still to pissed off to watch. Not so much about the NHL's reaction - I expected that.

What really pissed me off is that almost EVERY damn analyst, coach, GM and the majority of the players interviewed felt that Chara didn't deserve a suspension - the only one's who I've read that did think Chara warranted a suspension were Thornton and Sedin.

There was't any mention of past history, the fact that the nice noble Chara gave MaxPac a two handed slash near the end of the last game and was trying to get him to fight. Then Chara goes on to say, he didn't even know it was MaxPac. Are you friggin kidding me??? A Norris trophy winner doesn't know who they player he is trying to stop him is????? The whole hockey play arguement is hogwash. The puck was no where near Maxpac. The whole it would be a non-factor if it happened anywhere else in the rink is a piece of shit arguement, because bottom line is that it didn't happen any other place in the rink and players KNOW where they are in the rink. Are these talking heads saying that if Chara crosschecked MaxPac 10 feet in front of the net and crosschecked MaxPac's head in the goal post 1 foot away from the post, there shouldn't be difference in the disciplinary action, because if the cross checked happened somewhere else, the impact from crossing checking somone's head into the post wouldn't have been as bad - after all, a cross check is just a cross check???? Why is there a difference then in discipline for cross checking someone into the boards head first into the boards and cross checking someone in front of the net to clear the view for the goalie????? Why is the hockey establishment so friggin stupid and brain dead?????

I also hate the whole argument that Chara has no history of disciplinary action. Well that's because he's gotten a free pass in the past!!! Remember a few years back in the playoffs when he grabbed Komisarik from behind and started pounding on him AND Komi got a fighting penalty for being a punching bag???? The only difference between that incident and the Bertuzzi incident is two things. One, while the bruins targeted Komi the same way the Canucks targted Moore, when Chara ATTACKED Komi from behind, Komi didn't hit his head on the ice and get seriously injured - AND the Bruins while clearly targeting Komi didn't publically declare they were going to get him.

Same thing with Chara on MaxPac, the big ape had enough of a brain not to publically declare he was going to go after MaxPac, but he was CLEARLY targeting him in the 8-6 loss as well as last game.

So what it has come down to is as long as you are smart enough to keep your mouth shut and then try to kill someone, there will be no repurcussions.

I totally agree with Thornton regarding the bruins horseshoe - they used to have one - one of the most influentuel dinasour owners (2nd worst owner in hockey after bill wirtz, with #3 being Ed Snider) in that bastard Jeremy Jacobason, or whatever his friggin name is, and then the traded for the 2nd horseshoe, Colin Friggin Campbell's son. How Lucic hasn't been suspended 4-5 times by now is beyond me. How the bruins didn't get 4-5 instigator penalties in that 8-6 game is beyond me and how that crock of shit Julian didn't get fined in that 8-6 game is bull shit!

All day long on the calgary radio sports channel, the local idiots were calling it a regular hockey play. These are the same damn idiots like Peter Maher who would be screaming bloody murder if the same thing ever happened to Iginla. After hearing all that crap during the game, I was in no mood to watch the game last night.

Anyway, i expected the boys to be flat last night and its good to hear that MaxPac isn't hurt quite as bad as I originally thought, although who knows if he ever will play again and even if he does whether he'll be the same player. Remeber Zednik when he was just coming into his own and another god damn bruin took him out? He was never the same player again. Never cut to the middle like he did before that hit.

Now we need to figure out what to do with the current lineup, because, now more then ever, I want the habs to pass the damn Broons in the standings. I know its going to sound like my usual gomez bashing, but what I saw from him the 5 minutes i did watch is what i've watched for most of the season - he carries the puck end to end, to give it up at the blue line, shoot it in and the habs lose the puck or make a inconsequential play where the habs get shot from way out, which really all it accomplishes is allow the opposition's goalie to raise his save percentage.

Anyway, like I said i disagreed with most of the choices and still don't understand the critisism of Ak46. Where is the same level of criticism for Cammillari who is making the double the money and has been as streaky and IMO even less effective???

What I'd like to see is the Habs keep in tact the one line that was producing regularly for the past 6 or so games - AK46-Eller-Moen. If they are going to tinker, tinker with maybe putting Gionta with them instead of Moen. I wouldn't mind seeing White play with Eller and Ak46, because i do think he has more offensive potential, but while that line is producing, why mess with them.

However, Idealy, i'd rather the habs coaching braintrust figure out how to get the Pleks line going and keeping Desharnais effective, rather then how to replace MaxPac - because - really there is no one we have who can play that power forward role that MaxPac had stepped into. I also think the habs really need to rethink the use of Pyatt. They already have Moen, White, Halpern in the lineup - all guys who are defensively responsible, but you are pretty much just thankful when they did score (yes, Halpern did have a strong start, but what we have since is what we can really expect from him).

To me this means loading up on the three centres who have been effectively producing and either moving Gomez to the wing (he really sucks on faceoffs anyways), or moving him to the 4th line. I also think that we need to see if there's anyone on the farm that can help, because, i'd rather see someone with more offensive potenial then Pyatt. I don't think we can call up Boyd without him having to go through re-entry waivers. I've only seen one Hamilton game this year and from that an the Stats, Palushaj really shown he deserves a shot. I say give Dawes a shot. He is supposed to have speed and does have some potential to score. Who knows PG may luck out on him the way we got lucky with Moore's contribution.

Here's what i'd propose:

Gionta-Pleks-Cammy

Gomez-Desharnais-Pouliot

Ak46-Eller-Moen

White-Halpern-Dawes

Edited by hab29RETIRED

The one kicker with re-entry waivers, which Boyd does need, is that now any claiming team cannot use the player for the remainder of the season (the same rule applied to Tim Kennedy in Florida earlier). So, although a team couldn't use Boyd, they, in theory could claim him solely to screw over the Habs. This is largely moot anyways since Boyd's like so many of the current Habs, injured.

Dawes has tailed off a bit after a torrid start with Hamilton. In a 4th line role as you've proposed, I can't see him succeeding. He failed in that role with Calgary leading to a buyout this offseason and then again in Atlanta. Different teams and different circumstances for sure, but the odds would be against him. If you're looking for a prototypical 4th line guy to go with Halpern/White, Engqvist is an option there...as is Pyatt who has played much better lately. White and Halpern aren't creating much offence so Pyatt is less of a liability if you're gearing for that as the 'checking' line.

I expect Boyd would not see much ice time even if he were brought up. I have noted his injury. If I am not mistaken, he could be an emergency call-up and miss waivers that way. I again would like to add Wyman to your list of potential call-ups. For a point of imformation, would a emergency call-up be registered in 4 move clause? Brian_ Thanx for trying to stay on even keel as the poll rolls over these boards.

I expect Boyd would not see much ice time even if he were brought up. I have noted his injury. If I am not mistaken, he could be an emergency call-up and miss waivers that way. I again would like to add Wyman to your list of potential call-ups. For a point of imformation, would a emergency call-up be registered in 4 move clause? Brian_ Thanx for trying to stay on even keel as the poll rolls over these boards.

Nope, emergency callups are exempt from the recall limit. So if a forward goes down today and Darche isn't ready for Tuesday, the Habs would be able to call a forward up from Hamilton without it counting against the limit, as long as said forward immediately returns to Hamilton upon someone else (either Darche or the player hurt in this scenario) being available to return to the lineup.

The one kicker with re-entry waivers, which Boyd does need, is that now any claiming team cannot use the player for the remainder of the season (the same rule applied to Tim Kennedy in Florida earlier). So, although a team couldn't use Boyd, they, in theory could claim him solely to screw over the Habs. This is largely moot anyways since Boyd's like so many of the current Habs, injured.

Dawes has tailed off a bit after a torrid start with Hamilton. In a 4th line role as you've proposed, I can't see him succeeding. He failed in that role with Calgary leading to a buyout this offseason and then again in Atlanta. Different teams and different circumstances for sure, but the odds would be against him. If you're looking for a prototypical 4th line guy to go with Halpern/White, Engqvist is an option there...as is Pyatt who has played much better lately. White and Halpern aren't creating much offence so Pyatt is less of a liability if you're gearing for that as the 'checking' line.

I think if we did call up Boyd, someone in the east would probably try and claim him just to prevent us from using him. Heck, I can even see a lousy team like the islanders putting in a claim, even though they aren't going anywhere but the draft lottery.

To White and Halpern bring other elements (Halpern is good on the faceoff and White is LOT more physical then Pyatt). While neither are offensive, they do offer more POTENTIAL then Pyatt.

As far as Dawes goes, at this point you would think he would be trying to grab at any oppertunity to get back into the NHL.

This year is now a wash.

I've thought the season was a wash for a while, but I just want us to finish ahead of and go further then those friggin Brooons.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

We definitely need help up front. Pyatt is a good skater, but he can't help offensively. If Darche is not back soon, Gauthier won't have much choice but call someone from Hamilton. My guess is Dawes or Palushaj will be recalled before long.

I'll surprise you guys, but I think that another option would be to try Picard on left wing. He is a good skater and he has an excellent shot. A big plus: it would give us a seventh defenseman in the line up, in case someone gets injured (LOL).