Unsung Hero award

dlbalr

The annual Jacques Beauchamp Award (for the team's Unsung Hero) was handed out today with what I must say is somewhat of a surprising winner. Despite being the 3rd highest paid player on the team salary wise (behind Gomez and Markov), Roman Hamrlik got the nod for the award, beating out fellow D Hal Gill for the honour. Though I agree that Hamrlik has really been underrated this year, it's hard to be an 'unsung hero' when you're being paid to play like a core player. I think Darche's injury took away his shot, he got a lot of votes as it was but had been around the whole year, I think he'd have taken it.

Full results: http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?11996

The annual Jacques Beauchamp Award (for the team's Unsung Hero) was handed out today with what I must say is somewhat of a surprising winner. Despite being the 3rd highest paid player on the team salary wise (behind Gomez and Markov), Roman Hamrlik got the nod for the award, beating out fellow D Hal Gill for the honour. Though I agree that Hamrlik has really been underrated this year, it's hard to be an 'unsung hero' when you're being paid to play like a core player. I think Darche's injury took away his shot, he got a lot of votes as it was but had been around the whole year, I think he'd have taken it.

Full results: http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?11996

I'm sooo behind this decision! Hamrlik logged so many quality minutes for this team. I don't even remember anyone on this board complaining of his defensive play this year. Too bad we all are so salary conscienced... this award has nothing to do with it. Guys, we should be setting that aside and giving this guy his due. Thank you Hammer, hope you'll want to come back next year and play for us. Here's my standing ovation!!!!!!!

I say my piece here.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2011/4/4/2090343/hamrlik-wins-unsung-player-award

I really do like Hamrlik, but his qualities have been obvious forever. He's doing nothing more this year than he has done in his entire career. He's doing what he's paid quite handsomely to do. If the media hasn't recognized that until now, that says more about them than it does about his current season, IMO.

Thanks Roman for being a quality player. I'm sure this accolade bothers you more than the lack of accolades you've received in the past. :)

I say my piece here.

http://www.habseyeso...ng-player-award

I really do like Hamrlik, but his qualities have been obvious forever. He's doing nothing more this year than he has done in his entire career. He's doing what he's paid quite handsomely to do. If the media hasn't recognized that until now, that says more about them than it does about his current season, IMO.

Thanks Roman for being a quality player. I'm sure this accolade bothers you more than the lack of accolades you've received in the past. :)

Nice piece, I'll put it on the site in a few minutes. Begin's salary in 2005-06, if you're still interested as you note in the article, was $608,000.

Nice piece, I'll put it on the site in a few minutes. Begin's salary in 2005-06, if you're still interested as you note in the article, was $608,000.

Thanks. Made a note of that in there.

Hmm says Sakic was payd 17.000.000 one season... :P

He was. That was the wild west of hockey before a salary cap.

The Rangers tried to screw the Avs by making it hard to keep Sakic and Forsberg when Sakic was an RFA.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/10/the-morning-skate-how-joe-sakic-helped-change-the-hockey-business/

So the Avs seemed like an easy target, and to make it tougher on them, Smith front-loaded the proposed deal, offering Sakic a $15 million signing bonus in addition to his $2 million annual salary. It meant Sakic would be due $17 million for the 1997-98 season. The Rangers would have to forfeit their next five first-round draft picks to Colorado, which Smith was prepared to do. Avs had a week to match the offer and keep Sakic.

I agree with the decision.

Darche is the stereotypical unsung hero but he's praised regularly by fans and the local media (and Pierre MacGuire). I've heard much more Darche glorification this year than I've heard Hamrlik glorification this year. Hal Gill also gets a lot of praise for doing a bottom pairing job.

Hammer is awesome but it seems like his stock dropped among fans since his days of being paired with Spacek. He's one of the least praised players on the team even though he's one of their more important members.