Ryan Russell to Columbus

are the Canadiens loading up on right shooting forwards in Hamilton?

Nattinen, Palushaj, Engquist Trotter, Dumont, Shultz, Willsie, Berger, Leblanc, Avtsin, Blunden

it seems odd?!

Edited by alfredoh2009

For Michael Blunden? Minor trade I guess. Just a grinder for Hamilton!

I disagree, I actually like this kid, big boy (6'4 210) with alot of energy, who can drop the gloves and was a former 2 round pick. Montreal definitely got the better of this trade, this guy is a potential candidate for the 4th line vacancy.

Good pick up by gauthier.

Edited by jmaac1

are the Canadiens loading up on right shooting forwards in Hamilton?

Nattinen, Palushaj, Engquist Trotter, Dumont, Shultz, Willsie, Berger, Leblanc, Avtsin, Blunden

it seems odd?!

Good catch. Right now, though, one of Trotter, Engqvist and Palushaj is likely on the team (Blunden/Willsie could play way onto roster as well potentially, but not likely). Also not sure if Nattinen will be in Hamilton next year or back in Finland. But there are a lot of righties being developed.

Sad to see Russell go as he was always under appreciated in Hamilton and was quietly a key piece to their success in recent years. Plus, Derek's goal call when he scored was pretty good too, won't be the same with Blunden. With that said, the Habs get the player with more upside here with a bit of NHL experience; they didn't really have that in the system up front until today with him and Willsie.

Hate to see Russell go he went out and did his job and didn't get the credit he deserved he will be missed.

Blunden on the other hand brings some much needed size at 6'4' and 210 lbs. and averages .5 points a game and 20 of his 52 AHL goals have come on the power play, could be an interesting pick-up.

Blunden needs to play 24 games in the NHL this season or he will be an UFA (like what happened with Wyman last season, I reckon.)

I haven't looked at the numbers closely but both players can be Group VI UFA's next season depending on GP. Russell almost assuredly will be.