Keeping Weber important!

REV-G

I've read a few commments that some people feel Yannick Weber should be traded. I think that would be a very bad move. Weber has slowly emerged, or is slowly emerging as a solid contributor who adds depth that we might be in trouble if we didn't have.

Besides being able to play defence and forward, which is a great blessings to have, he also had been one of our steadier defencemen playing somewhere around 20 minutes a game. I think he has the best plus-minus among defencemen, has a great shot which he has used to score some very timely goals and without him we would have to either make another trade or go with someone who has less experience and brings less to the table.

To me he is a great young guy who is developing and growing and could be like Josh Georges who when he first came to us was borderline to even make the team and now is in our starting 4. For me, it would be a big mistake to let him go.

I've been a fan of Weber since he broke in a couple years ago. I think he has steadily improved from each year and will be a top 4 defense man at some point. He is a great fit for this team and I don't see why he should be traded.....unless it is part of a big trade.

My only issue with weber is the redundancy factor created by having so many RH defencemen who do the same thing.

Subban, Diaz and Weber are all RH defencemen who primarily provide a puck moving and powerplay dimension from the back end.

Now subban is a good defender too, and basically untouchable to me.

But weber and diaz both provide the same function. They both are good offensively, and play good positional defence, but lack size and strength to contain big forwards.

I think one of weber/diaz eventually has to go. Both are needed now because we have so few healthy d, but eventually the return of markov and campoli will give us 9 dmen.

I'd rather have a big guy who can hit and play shut down d on the right side, then have all three guys in the lineup.

There is no internal balance to having them.

So I think you deal one of weber/diaz in a package to get another young player in a position of need. Another c with some skill and size. So that eventually gomez can be jettisoned.

I think weber will be a good player, but I'm looking for something that brings more balance to our lineup.

And I'm absolutely not advocating giving him away for free. Gotta get value for the kid.

My only issue with weber is the redundancy factor created by having so many RH defencemen who do the same thing.

Subban, Diaz and Weber are all RH defencemen who primarily provide a puck moving and powerplay dimension from the back end.

Now subban is a good defender too, and basically untouchable to me.

But weber and diaz both provide the same function. They both are good offensively, and play good positional defence, but lack size and strength to contain big forwards.

I think one of weber/diaz eventually has to go. Both are needed now because we have so few healthy d, but eventually the return of markov and campoli will give us 9 dmen.

I'd rather have a big guy who can hit and play shut down d on the right side, then have all three guys in the lineup.

There is no internal balance to having them.

So I think you deal one of weber/diaz in a package to get another young player in a position of need. Another c with some skill and size. So that eventually gomez can be jettisoned.

I think weber will be a good player, but I'm looking for something that brings more balance to our lineup.

And I'm absolutely not advocating giving him away for free. Gotta get value for the kid.

Good analysis. With the PP situation still unclarified in the short term, I think it'd be unwise to move Weber - who is also much younger than Diaz and presumably has a higher ceiling (although I'm not sure about that). Who knows, we may yet see Weber really step up and become the impact power-play guy this team needs. And the Habs generally only give up on guys around their mid-20s. That being said, the only untouchables on this team are Price, Wolverine, and Subban. If you get a deal for Weber that makes sense, take it.

Good analysis. With the PP situation still unclarified in the short term, I think it'd be unwise to move Weber - who is also much younger than Diaz and presumably has a higher ceiling (although I'm not sure about that). Who knows, we may yet see Weber really step up and become the impact power-play guy this team needs. And the Habs generally only give up on guys around their mid-20s. That being said, the only untouchables on this team are Price, Wolverine, and Subban. If you get a deal for Weber that makes sense, take it.

I agree, I think it will be important to hold onto Weber and Diaz this season and see which one develops more.