Not another Gomez thread!

BCHabfan64

Seems as tho every time I read the Bleacher report, there is something about dumping Gomez or buying out the contract. Most of it I feel is nonsense and I sort of get tired of it because most of the points are weak. Did anyone really think Gomez was traded here to win a scoring race???

Granted his performance has not been stellar this past 12 + months, but just one short season and two seasons ago this player was a major asset. Check the Halak playoff season. He was a major set-up and play guy.

The reality is that Gomez needs to score a few more goals, but from my standpoint, I would expect Scott to be the control player the team needs.

If a scorer is needed there are some in the lineup that will develop, Deharnais, Eller, LeBlanc are a few and with that sandbag Kostitsyn gone maybe #14 will find his form again, but then they have asked him to be a PK guy and that takes the focus off scoring.

Pacioretty and Cole had a great year and with consistency they will bolster the scoring out next year too. Keep in mind with injuries we played with Hamilton players most of thre year and they take time to develop. White is one who will develop in to a gritty guy and be part of the support cast. Emelin looks very good in his first full year in Montreal too, but still young. Subban has matured in the past 30 games to be a guy you can rely on to be a force and not give the puck away so often.

To me Gomez is the "carry the puck- set up" guy and he is a seriously strong skater and someone needs to be that grinder. Scott is one of the hardest players to take the puck off of, normally, just not recently. Life will change with a new year. Definitely overpaid but who is really worth that money in any league? Really? In the real world?

Still, Gomez is a worthwhile guy on the team and he has alot of pride that will see him through next season if he remains. I hope so.

Things will look better next year when Moen and Gionta return too. No fear habs fans. I have been studying the Habs since 1964 and watch over 65 games per year. We are better, just not this year. Tweeking is needed, not a major flushing. Besides if anything Gomez is fun to watch even when he is playing sub par and he will teach the young guns a few things along the way.

Anyway, I am still looking forward to seeing 65 + games next year. Go Habs Go! Hey RDS get real HD please!

I can't tell if you are trolling.

I don't think so, if Gomez would have played up to expectations he'd be the 'control' player the OP alludes to. Now whether or not he'll be here is another story but the point of what Gomez could mean to the team if he plays better is legit.

I don't think so, if Gomez would have played up to expectations he'd be the 'control' player the OP alludes to. Now whether or not he'll be here is another story but the point of what Gomez could mean to the team if he plays better is legit.

But... he has had a few years now to do that and he hasn't. I say part ways (whatever means necessary) and use that money on someone else who could fill the role.

In the end, Gomez deserves a lot more credit for the 09-10 season. Only 8 teams that year had two centres in the Top 30 in scoring for centermen. Montreal was one of them due to Gomez and Plekanec. His 59 points that season was quite decent but everyone just focused on the fact he was overpaid.

Had he kept those numbers up we would be in a pretty good place for our offence. Instead it's uncertain.

In the end, Gomez deserves a lot more credit for the 09-10 season. Only 8 teams that year had two centres in the Top 30 in scoring for centermen. Montreal was one of them due to Gomez and Plekanec. His 59 points that season was quite decent but everyone just focused on the fact he was overpaid.

Had he kept those numbers up we would be in a pretty good place for our offence. Instead it's uncertain.

Right. I've been saying this all along. The Gomez we thought we were acquiring, and did actually acquire for one year, was a 60-point C with elite playmaking skills who 'tilted the ice' with his relentless speed on the rush. Although he was not a physical player and could not score goals to save his life, these attributes made him an absolutely key cog to our offence and a valuable asset. Of course he was overpaid, but that did not negate these other attributes.

Sadly, that player disappeared over the summer of 2010. Since then he has been a shadow, not only of the guy who scored 33 goals in NJ, but the guy who was a very effective contributor in 2009-10. What happened is a mystery. His skating remained strong, so it's not that he lost a step. Maybe it was disgust with Martin's system. Maybe it was an intensifying refusal to pay the price and go to dirty areas. Maybe it was some combination that snowballed into a complete loss of confidence.

But whatever it is, the player we acquired no longer exists. There is nothing 'uncertain' about his game now. While he does bring some nice shifts now and then, today's Scott Gomez is an unmitigate bust: a soft perimeter player who contributes absolutely nothing in terms of results while costing us $7.3 mil per. Everybody can see that. The only thing that bugs me is when people try to deny that he DID bring a lot of value in his first season with us, rewriting history so that Gomez was always the piece of steaming crap that he is now.

I have to laugh when I read rumours that Gomez wants a buyout so he can go back to Jersey. As if a quality organization like NJ would want him. :rolleyes: Maybe that's a clue to the total sense of unreality that has enveloped Gomez, such that he still thinks he's worth something.

It's just time for a change. He was part of the old speed/skill habs. The habs are clearly moving towards a more size/physicality based team. He doesn't fit in.

Montreal is still based on speed. Its now speed and size.