Lidstrom to Retire

bbp

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=633272

Wow. Probably the best defencemen of all time. A million well wishes from all hockey fans I'm sure, sad day for Detroit though.

Bobby Orr and the ghosts of Doug Harvey and Eddie Shore all want to have a talk with you.

There is no way Lidstrom is better than Orr.

Who is number 2? Harvey, Shore and Lidstrom are all contenders... sadly there is not enough video of the two old timers to really judge, but those who saw them, swear they were the best.

Bobby Orr and the ghosts of Doug Harvey and Eddie Shore all want to have a talk with you.

There is no way Lidstrom is better than Orr.

Who is number 2? Harvey, Shore and Lidstrom are all contenders... sadly there is not enough video of the two old timers to really judge, but those who saw them, swear they were the best.

I don't think you can compare guys like Shore or Harvey to today. But I totally meant to say possibly and not probably. Orr is and will always be the best considering how he revolutionized the game. There could be an argument for Lidstrom talking about the system he played in (like i wonder what numbers Datsyuk would have put up on a firehouse offensive team), day and age (no way Orr would put those numbers up today), and around length of careers.

IMO, Orr is on his own plateau, but the fact there COULD be an argument is a testament to this man's career.

Was he better than Denis Potvin, arguably the best player from the Islanders dynasty?

I didn't see Potvin live (not in his prime anyway) but from what I've seen on film... yes, I'd take Lidstrom. Better for longer too... Lidstrom's spent nearly 15 years as the best D in the NHL (since the late 90s), and 20 years in the league, starting with a Calder so he was good from Day 1.

I didn't see Potvin live (not in his prime anyway) but from what I've seen on film... yes, I'd take Lidstrom. Better for longer.

Lidstrom was unreal but he also played during the dead puck era. He was on the better side of history for hockey defence. Potvin was on the better side of history for hockey offence but he was also an elite defender playing in a high scoring era. Lidstrom didn't have the injury issues but that's never a factor for me. It's what you did on the ice when you were a player. Potvin was the leader (closely followed by Bossy) of an Islanders dynasty. He was also one of the greatest playoff performers. I tend to credit playoff performance over season performance.

It's a close one but I give the nudge to Potvin. Wouldn't argue with anyone going otherwise. The only knock on Lidstrom's career is that he had to develop (his defensive game. Offensive game was always there). Same goes with Hasek. There's a few seasons which bring down his overall levels but when it comes to Lidstrom in his prime he was the best of his era. Same with Hasek.

I was really hoping that he would continue to play. At age 42, he is still among the game's best defensemen, which is incredible. I think Detroit is going to suffer without him.

I was really hoping that he would continue to play. At age 42, he is still among the game's best defensemen, which is incredible. I think Detroit is going to suffer without him.

Like that game they played against us ;) 8-2 or something ridiculous!

The greatest defencemen of all time are always listed as follows:

1. Orr

2. Harvey

Just below that is where the debates really kick in. Potvin, Lidstrom, Bourque seem to be the big three perpetually bubbling under Harvey's name. I wouldn't necessarily dismiss Larry Robinson, Borje Salming, or Scott Niedermeyer from consideration in these regions either, but they're probably a cut under those three.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that, right after Sakic retired, when asked "which player do you respect the most in the league?", 90+% of the league would have answered Niklas Lidstrom.