An Early Look at the World Juniors

Commandant

???

What is the motif behind this for the sens?

Apparently the thinking is he has more to learn in the AHL than at the WJC.

Sweden’s World Junior Team has lost 3 big pieces in the last few weeks. Who is likely to be getting a bigger role than anticipated?

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/11/30/world-junior-championship-swedens-problems-and-potential-solutions/

To slap the fans in the face, I imagine. WJC is gonna be the ONE good hockey experience this year, and the Sens owners are doing their part to deprive the fans of that too. You can bet Sens fans would have been excited to see their #1 prospect play, especially since they won't see much of their other players. You'd think it would be the owner's top priority to establish as much good will with their fans as possible. What a joke.

WJC always is good, this year wont be much different.

Murray let him go back to play in Sweden last year and they say Zibanejad got dick-all icetime and Murray was not pleased at all, so he likely is partially thumbing his nose more at Swedish hockey.

And the same is applicable to Tim Bozon, who is not going to play for France, because it "supposedly' will stunt his development somehow (i dont see it but) and will stay playing in WHL.

If, as they say, Bozon-Zibanejad will be better off in long run, by playing north america hockey for holidays, i would 100% concur with Hab-Sen mgmt and wouldn't consider "fan good-will" at all (every canadian rink will be sold out no matter what the owners do).

It is a business after all, just trivial entertainment i know, but run by quite greedy owners who arnt gonna waste assets, if it dosent benefit them.

Now will be interesting to see if Oilers follow suit with Hopkins (unlikely but?).

Bozon made his own decision apparently (but you are right he was probably advised by the Habs).

You have to remember about Bozon is the level of competition. Its division 2, he won't be playing against Canada, Russia, US, etc.... he'd be playing against garbage teams like Norway and Denmark.

Bozon made his own decision apparently (but you are right he was probably advised by the Habs).

You have to remember about Bozon is the level of competition. Its division 2, he won't be playing against Canada, Russia, US, etc.... he'd be playing against garbage teams like Norway and Denmark.

Just a question;

If Canada was a division II weak team, and your own kid was a top NHL prospect, you would advise him to skip it?

I still dont think could do any harm at all and to show some pride would be nicer to see.

Now if your team was stacked and didnt really need him, then sure, skip it.

Just a question;

If Canada was a division II weak team, and your own kid was a top NHL prospect, you would advise him to skip it?

I still dont think could do any harm at all and to show some pride would be nicer to see.

Now if your team was stacked and didnt really need him, then sure, skip it.

How long did Bozon live in France? If he was just born there and moved to Canada then there would be virtually no connection.

To no one's surprise, Collberg was named to Sweden's preliminary roster today. (They have 1 goalie, 1 d-man, and 1 forward to cut, it's safe to say he'll make the final team.) Erik Nystrom, Montreal's 6th rounder from last draft, is not on their roster.

Great to see Drouin make the cut. Whomever gets to play with him should have some gift-wrapped goals.

Got no real beef with any player selected but::

Question:

If Ryan Murphy played for Tri-city or Saint John and not Spott's team, would he have made the cut? Wouldnt Ceci or that Corrado kid be better choices than Murphy; or is Murphy like Esposito and had to be selected simply due to past Hockey Canada participation/invitations?

Morgan Reilly is the best PP QB, and Hamilton aint too bad neither is he, so Murphy also isnt likely to be effective defending big fast Swede/Russian forwards.

Question:

If Ryan Murphy played for Tri-city or Saint John and not Spott's team, would he have made the cut? Wouldnt Ceci or that Corrado kid be better choices than Murphy; or is Murphy like Esposito and had to be selected simply due to past Hockey Canada participation/invitations?

Morgan Reilly is the best PP QB, and Hamilton aint too bad neither is he, so Murphy also isnt likely to be effective defending big fast Swede/Russian forwards.

I think he would still have made it. Hamilton is going to be the anchor defenceman 5-on-5, I could see Murphy taking his spot on the top PP unit and his ability to carry the puck in transition is great as well. I think he's the ideal 7th blueliner, one who plays the PP and in late situations where a goal is needed. I suspect he won't be used in that role but he'd be best used there in my opinion.

Corrado had a great camp but I wouldn't be surprised if it came down to the following question that put Murphy over the top - Which d-man (out of him, Corrado, Sproul, and Dumba) could have the biggest potential impact on the game? Corrado and Sproul (like Wotherspoon who did make the cut) are safer players. Dumba could have a big impact but given his penchant for penalties, it might not be the right impact they want. Murphy certainly is a risk but the potential reward with him is greatest.

Again, i have no real issue with choices, only seen Corrado play once. and all you say makes perfect sense.

But wouldnt have picked Murphy nor Reinhart (if Pulock is healthy now, if not then add Murphy as 7th man).

Pulock has a Weber-like cannon of a shot, is racking up the points on a crappy team with the worst goal differential, while also leading team with a +11. Why he wasnt even invited to camp i dont know?

Reilly-Hamilton

Harrington-Ouellet

Pouliot-Ceci

Pulock

What to expect from Big Name 2013 Draft Eligible Players at the World Juniors

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/12/19/top-shelf-prospects-what-to-expect-from-big-name-draft-eligibles-at-the-wjc/

Good one Mr. Kerr,

Collberg with 7 points in 6 games in his draft year was outstanding, Yakupov was also a standout, while neither led their teams, both showed above average skills, whereas most draft year kids do fall into your typical catagory of role player for sure.

However, I dont think it is unreralistic to see Barkov lead team Finland and Drouin having a ton of assists if given ice/PP time and possibly being the #2 playmaker on team, behind Hopkins.

Lindholm/ MacKinnon and Ristolainen/Jones are likely to be similar quality role players, but all can still expect to see glimsps of why they are all so highly rated.

Maybe many expect too much from 2013 kids?, i had hoped Shinkaruk-Pulock would of made the team as that 7th d and extra forward, which maybe was unrealistic, but i still would insert them and remove 1 d and 1 forward and have a more offensively dangerous team (i would exchange MacKInnon-Reinhart)?

7 points in 6 games is a great tournament FOR AN UNDERAGED kid at the World Juniors.

7 points in 6 games is not a great tournament at the World Juniors. He was 4 points behind his team's scoring leader, and 6 points behind the tournament scoring leader.

One thing to remember about the WJC. You've got a short tournament... ie 6 or 7 games, plus at least 2 of those games are against terrible opponents where good teams run up the score. Being a PPG player in the WJC is good, but its not as outstanding as it sounds. Especially when he scored 4 points in the two games vs Latvia and Switzerland. This means a mere 3 points in the other 4 games.

Good numbers but thats not domination. Thats not leading your team. Thats being a good 2nd line player. Again Great result when measured against underage kids. Merely slightly above average when measured against the 18 and 19 year olds in a tournament.

First lets remember that Yakupov is one of those late birthdays I talked about as well. He had his 18th birthday before the tournament began. And this is his last year of eligibility for the tourney. Yakupov had 0 goals and 9 assists in 7 games. Again, Great Numbers for an 18 year old undrafted But not great numbers for the tournament as a whole. Oiler Fans and Prospect Analysts will FREAK OUT if he has 0 goals this year as a 19 year old.

It is very rare the underage, undrafted player is talked about for things like Tournament MVP awards, Tournament All-Star Teams, or even Team MVP awards. Tavares, Lindros, and Gretzky seem to be the three exceptions.

Drouin, MacKinnon, etc... are good, but they are not in the category with those guys. I don't expect monster tournaments from them. Nor will that be a bad thing either.

I don't see Drouin as the #2 playmaker on this team.... Not with guys like Huberdeau, Strome, and Schiefele all from the 2011 draft and all 2 years older than him.

7 points in 6 games is a great tournament FOR AN UNDERAGED kid at the World Juniors.

7 points in 6 games is not a great tournament at the World Juniors. He was 4 points behind his team's scoring leader, and 6 points behind the tournament scoring leader.

One thing to remember about the WJC. You've got a short tournament... ie 6 or 7 games, plus at least 2 of those games are against terrible opponents where good teams run up the score. Being a PPG player in the WJC is good, but its not as outstanding as it sounds. Especially when he scored 4 points in the two games vs Latvia and Switzerland. This means a mere 3 points in the other 4 games.

Good numbers but thats not domination. Thats not leading your team. Thats being a good 2nd line player. Again Great result when measured against underage kids. Merely slightly above average when measured against the 18 and 19 year olds in a tournament.

First lets remember that Yakupov is one of those late birthdays I talked about as well. He had his 18th birthday before the tournament began. And this is his last year of eligibility for the tourney. Yakupov had 0 goals and 9 assists in 7 games. Again, Great Numbers for an 18 year old undrafted But not great numbers for the tournament as a whole. Oiler Fans and Prospect Analysts will FREAK OUT if he has 0 goals this year as a 19 year old.

It is very rare the underage, undrafted player is talked about for things like Tournament MVP awards, Tournament All-Star Teams, or even Team MVP awards. Tavares, Lindros, and Gretzky seem to be the three exceptions.

Drouin, MacKinnon, etc... are good, but they are not in the category with those guys. I don't expect monster tournaments from them. Nor will that be a bad thing either.

I don't see Drouin as the #2 playmaker on this team.... Not with guys like Huberdeau, Strome, and Schiefele all from the 2011 draft and all 2 years older than him.

? you wrote the outstanding performances in last dozen years by kids in draft year; Kovalchuk-Ovechkin etc with almost identical numbers as Collberg put up (4 goals on 10 shots, + sweet shootout goal)? So either i am interpreting incorrectly that paragraph, or can say/assume Yakupov-Collberg stood out as much as future NHL stars did in their draft year.

Didnt Kovachuk-Ovechkin-Stamkos get points vs crap opposition also when they got 6 or 7 points also?

And i know Yakupov was almost a 2011 draft, Collberg wasnt, but i also agree that birth month difference can be important to factor in (Seth Jones, Shinkaruk, Pulock are all the same, almost 1 year older than MacKinnon and only 3 months younger than Reinhart)

I am guessing Drouin is a cut above Strome/Schiefele and already has better vision, but the older guys will get the ice time to produce.

If Yakupov (or Hopkins) has 9 assist-zero goals, i dont think Oiler fans will freak at all, there are more laid back than your average Hab fan (dont know about prospect people). 1.5 PPG simply aint that bad.

MIkael Granlund had a whooping 2 goals and no one from Minni was too worked up and he is still hailed as one of top prospects (i think?).

Anyways, should be some good games and lots of talanted kids to watch.

? you wrote the outstanding performances in last dozen years by kids in draft year; Kovalchuk-Ovechkin etc with almost identical numbers as Collberg put up (4 goals on 10 shots, + sweet shootout goal)? So either i am interpreting incorrectly that paragraph, or can say/assume Yakupov-Collberg stood out as much as future NHL stars did in their draft year.

Collberg had a great performances compared to all other 17 year olds in the tourney.

He didn't have a great performance compared to all players in the tourney.

Yes 7 points in 6 games is good and compares well with those guys.

Didnt Kovachuk-Ovechkin-Stamkos get points vs crap opposition also when they got 6 or 7 points also?

And i know Yakupov was almost a 2011 draft, Collberg wasnt, but i also agree that birth month difference can be important to factor in (Seth Jones, Shinkaruk, Pulock are all the same, almost 1 year older than MacKinnon and only 3 months younger than Reinhart)

I am guessing Drouin is a cut above Strome/Schiefele and already has better vision, but the older guys will get the ice time to produce.

Drouin MIGHT be a better NHL player than Strome/Schiefele once he gets stronger and gains experience. He's not better than them RIGHT NOW.

Just like Crosby was not as good as Jeff Carter, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, and Patrice Bergeron in 2005. He's the best NHLer, but wasn't better than them in December 2004/January 2005.

If Yakupov (or Hopkins) has 9 assist-zero goals, i dont think Oiler fans will freak at all, there are more laid back than your average Hab fan (dont know about prospect people). 1.5 PPG simply aint that bad.

MIkael Granlund had a whooping 2 goals and no one from Minni was too worked up and he is still hailed as one of top prospects (i think?).

Anyways, should be some good games and lots of talanted kids to watch.

I think if Yakupov isn't among the best players in this tournament, it will be seen as a disappointment for him.

Nothing that should impede his NHL career, but it will be a disappointment.

Collberg had a great performances compared to all other 17 year olds in the tourney.

He didn't have a great performance compared to all players in the tourney.

Yes 7 points in 6 games is good and compares well with those guys.

Drouin MIGHT be a better NHL player than Strome/Schiefele once he gets stronger and gains experience. He's not better than them RIGHT NOW.

Just like Crosby was not as good as Jeff Carter, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, and Patrice Bergeron in 2005. He's the best NHLer, but wasn't better than them in December 2004/January 2005.

I think if Yakupov isn't among the best players in this tournament, it will be seen as a disappointment for him.

Nothing that should impede his NHL career, but it will be a disappointment.

Sure, all sounds good.

Hudon, had a good game this morning (what i saw of it).

Now will Galchenyuk or Collberg stand out more in this next exhibition game?

Hudon was among Canada's top 2-3 forwards today.

Canada as a whole took WAY TOO MANY penalties.

Malcolm Subban looked weak on at least 1, maybe 2 of the goals.

Galchenyuk is WOW vs Sweden in the 2nd period... no points... but WOW on the chances.

Collberg no points either, looking good too.... not like Galchenyuk, but still looking good.

Hudon was among Canada's top 2-3 forwards today.

Canada as a whole took WAY TOO MANY penalties.

Malcolm Subban looked weak on at least 1, maybe 2 of the goals.

Galchenyuk is WOW vs Sweden in the 2nd period... no points... but WOW on the chances.

Collberg no points either, looking good too.... not like Galchenyuk, but still looking good.

Will goaltending be an issue again this year? Torn between wanting Subban to flop and not be another super prospect for Bruins, but not at expense of the junior team. But i think he is playing he was too the bench giving up AHL-side goals vs CIS and today.

Hudon seems like a smart player, hope he gets top 6 minutes and some PP time.

Alot of whining about penalties, but most were deserved.

First game i have seen Galchenyuk play, yes he did look dangerous and had many scoring chances.

At least Collberg can skate very well and i thought his best play was backchecking on a turnover he coughed up.

Jacob de la Rose semed like a good young player for Sweden.

People can whine about penalties all they want... but this is the way IIHF hockey is called, always has been.

You either learn to be disciplined, or you end up in the box... simple as that.

Canada will have to learn some discipline.