Sometimes the best trade is the one.........

REV-G

I think we can all agree that deal turned out to be a failure of epic proportions. It was bad at the time but I don't think that anyone seen it working out quite the way it did. Gomez was a consistent point producer who fell off the face of the earth, and McDonaugh turned into the Rangers captain, worst case scenario. I remember hating it so much, not because of who we gave up, but because we took on that massive Gomez contract that I constantly made fun of to my Ranger fan buddy. In theory you can make an argument as to why Bob made the deal, it just sucks how bad it turned out for us Hab fans. Perhaps if our other first round prospect Fischer wasn't a bust it wouldn't have stung so bad.

maybe the best trade is the one we made! Sekac hasn't dressed yet in the playoffs for Anaheim while Smith-Pelly has been real solid.

maybe the best trade is the one we made! Sekac hasn't dressed yet in the playoffs for Anaheim while Smith-Pelly has been real solid.

Yep. like was known at the time, this trade was made for play offs in MB's mind.

I think we can all agree that deal turned out to be a failure of epic proportions. It was bad at the time but I don't think that anyone seen it working out quite the way it did. Gomez was a consistent point producer who fell off the face of the earth, and McDonaugh turned into the Rangers captain, worst case scenario. I remember hating it so much, not because of who we gave up, but because we took on that massive Gomez contract that I constantly made fun of to my Ranger fan buddy. In theory you can make an argument as to why Bob made the deal, it just sucks how bad it turned out for us Hab fans. Perhaps if our other first round prospect Fischer wasn't a bust it wouldn't have stung so bad.

well said

Good post!

The trade was ensured to be bad in the event that McDonagh became a top-pairing defenceman. Had he not done so, we wouldn't be worked up about it today. So that was Bob's gamble. As so often happened with his gambles when he was our GM, it didn't work out.

That said, many fans retroactively talk as though Gainey traded to get the Gomez of 2011, the guy who was a marginal NHLer at best. This is foolish. As you point out, he acquired a guy who had been a consistent 60-70 point C for years, who was one of the best skaters/playmakers and one of the most exciting players in the game, and was only 29 - by rights Gomez should have had 4-5 years of good production left in him. Your post reminds us that there was absolutely no way to know that he would suddenly stop being a good player. While it was a risky trade from the start and came with a ridiculous cap hit, the way it all worked out really was a piece of terrible luck.