Forum changes

dlbalr

First off, thanks to all the posters (and guest readers) who took the time to vote in our little survey from last week. After going through all the responses, we've decided to make several changes to the layout, tentatively effective Monday, June 22nd:

- We will be merging Habs Talk, Prospects, and NHL Talk into one forum. The current planned title is Habs and Hockey Talk but if anyone has any better ideas, feel free to make some suggestions.

- The Fantasy Sports section will be undergoing some tweaks. The Fantasy World subforum will be paired up with The Lounge. Those of you who participated in HWL and/or the SK League (and can see those subforums) will find it moved into an archive further down the page.

- The subforums pertaining to HW specifically will also undergo a small re-arranging.

This is a tentative layout of the look after the changes are made. Bolded items are separate forums (such as Habs Forums, NHL Forums, Other, etc as you can currently see).

Habs and Hockey Talk

HW Lounge
- The Lounge
- Fantasy Sports

About HW
- About HabsWorld / Help / Suggestions / Introductions
- HW Releases

Fantasy Archive*
- HWL
- SK League

* - will only be seen by those who participated in those leagues

Why are we making these changes?

Simply put, it comes down to activity. We're not pleased with the decline in activity and the increase of threads that have gone off topic as a result of some posters neglecting to go to a different subforum. It is our hope that doing this will decrease the number of threads that go off-topic and increase activity in certain threads that otherwise might not get a whole lot of attention.

Towards the end of the regular season, some of you may have noticed that some of the Bulldogs GDT's were moved temporarily into Habs Talk. That was a bit of a test to assess any potential increase in thread participation and/or hits and the results for the most part were positive. Moving the draft thread into Habs Talk has seen its hits total jump considerably as well.

Going through the results of the survey, only around 1/3 of the posters/readers viewed the prospects subforum with any sort of regularity and even fewer peruse the NHL subforum. But, many of you indicated that you'd be more likely to read/participate in those threads if they were mixed in with the Habs Talk discussions and we're holding you to that by making these changes.

We realize that not everyone is going to be thrilled with this change. As I noted the other day, some of the comments we saw showed that some were all for tweaks or a major overhaul while others prefer the status quo and there wasn't going to be a way to please everyone. But, we believe these changes will improve the forum overall and that's the main objective here.

For those of you answered the survey, you probably noticed a handful of questions at the end that had little or nothing to do with any of this. Those pertain to changes we may consider whenever IP Board rolls out its new forum design (they've been working on it for years and by all accounts, it's somewhat close to being ready).

As always, your feedback or questions on any of these changes is more than welcome.

• Upvote 1

Team is just doing too well the last couple years.

Bad losses and losing streaks seems to get blood boiling and more activity, with everyone wanting to chime in on whats so wrong.

Without one specific nameless member who posted very often & definitely stirred the pot every day, I am sure activity would even be lower.

Not sure what changes, if any are needed, but appreciate the effort.

I have seen threads go sideways all over and is not just here it happens, is very easy to do with a comment or two off-topic and away it goes. Not sure how best to keep stuff on track?

The new subforum layout has been implemented. We will now find everything about the Habs, prospects and NHL at the same place. Should be easier not to miss out on the latest thread.

• Upvote 1

The new subforum layout has been implemented. We will now find everything about the Habs, prospects and NHL at the same place. Should be easier not to miss out on the latest thread.

Once we get past all the pinned threads :P

Once we get past all the pinned threads :P

That will get condensed somewhat. The new HW thread can be moved since the site's now up and running; it can go to the About HW section. It may be worth merging the General AHL and General ECHL threads into one for next season as well. There won't be much going on in the ECHL thread since it's the offseason so I've unpinned that one.

Team is just doing too well the last couple years.

Bad losses and losing streaks seems to get blood boiling and more activity, with everyone wanting to chime in on whats so wrong.

Without one specific nameless member who posted very often & definitely stirred the pot every day, I am sure activity would even be lower.

Not sure what changes, if any are needed, but appreciate the effort.

I have seen threads go sideways all over and is not just here it happens, is very easy to do with a comment or two off-topic and away it goes. Not sure how best to keep stuff on track?

It is funny how the fuming negativity seems to have spiked upwards just as the team has really gotten good. We've observed before that this was easily the best season in years and years, and yet this board had more hostile exchanges than ever before.

On another note, it depends what we mean when we're talking about threads going 'off track.' Name calling and insults should definitely be verboten - the last thing we want is for this site to become a domain of flame wars and personal vendettas. However, I'm not troubled at all by threads that go off topic per se. To my mind that just reflects the normal tendencies of human conversation - one thing triggers another, and we go down side-roads. Also, eventually someone voluntarily brings the discussion back 'on topic.' I'd hate to see us policing all that more rigorously (just as I would hate to have a friend who intervenes every time a conversation drifts from its original mandate).

• Upvote 1

Discussion boards are funny, and for the most part, uncontrollable when it comes to certain members, hard to blanket rule behavior, and then there are people's moods and convictions, add personality differences and attitudes, it's just human nature to sometimes "lose it". Trolls can bring that out, and some peeps are trolls without even realizing it, and without realizing just how F@%#%in' annoying a troll is.

Sometimes an operation is needed to remove the tumor that is infecting the discussions...

Overall, I think this is a pretty great board, with a lot of respect shown among regular posters, and a general will to have a productive and satisfying discussion, with members who have their own take on all things Habs. I appreciate the boards here enough that I don't discuss hockey on any other, because of the respect I have for some of the long time, and short time members here, and the civil(predominately) conversations, even when opinions differ.

I've learned a lot in my time here, and hope to enjoy it for a long time to come, respect to all members, end of rant.

• Upvote 1

It is funny how the fuming negativity seems to have spiked upwards just as the team has really gotten good. We've observed before that this was easily the best season in years and years, and yet this board had more hostile exchanges than ever before.

On another note, it depends what we mean when we're talking about threads going 'off track.' Name calling and insults should definitely be verboten - the last thing we want is for this site to become a domain of flame wars and personal vendettas. However, I'm not troubled at all by threads that go off topic per se. To my mind that just reflects the normal tendencies of human conversation - one thing triggers another, and we go down side-roads. Also, eventually someone voluntarily brings the discussion back 'on topic.' I'd hate to see us policing all that more rigorously (just as I would hate to have a friend who intervenes every time a conversation drifts from its original mandate).

I'm fine with things going off-topic, so long as the posters going off topic don't derail the thread or make it hard for others to continue discussing the topic at hand.