Latest Eklund Rumors

GoHabs2002

As the Free Agent Frenzy winds down there are still a few gems out there and here's what I am hearing…

#5-Brian Savage- I am hearing if Montreal doesn't get Selanne they will sign Savage. (2E) There are other teams looking at him as well, but I haven't been able to pin anything down.

#4-Vincent Damphousse- Another guy who would like to (and should) end his career in Montreal. I have also heard the Pens are considering him (E2). As are the Ducks (E1)

#2-Teemu Selanne-A lot of talk about him. Montreal (E3), Atlanta (E2), St. Louis (E3), San Jose (E2), Chicago (E1).

----------

List was in terms of top 10 FAs left. E's in brackets indicate validity of rumor, more E's more secure rumor

Personally, I think Gainey will go into training camp with the roster we have and see how the young ones respond. IF he and Julien believe leadership/experience will be a problem then he'll go and look around.

Savage: Hope not, and I don't beleive so.

Damphousse: Could be interesting. Good leader, good face-off man, good depth for when Koivu gets hurt.

Selanne: I wouldn't be against Selanne signing, but I don't see it happening as Gainey wants to give the kids alot of confidence and signing another top 6 forward contradicts that. Unless Dags, Hossa, Perez., all bomb, I can't see Selanne coming in. I'd like it tho if he did.

Eklund throws out so many rumours he's bound to be correct from time to time. I'd love to see his percentages, though. I suspect he's just tying all these rumours to the players past ties with MTL. Forget the free agents and stick to the kids. Throwing money at your holes doesn't work. How many years did the Rangers try that solution? Play the kids.

Absolutley, Eklund is a bum, and Montreal really needs to play their kids, and its sink or swim. If they don't work out, then its a trade at the deadline for some help, or free agency in the offseason.

LET THE YOUTH PLAY

Although I think that the rumours are nonsense, Damphousse could be a great addition to this team.

He provides great depth at center, and can play on any of the 4 lines, if there are injuries. Also, he has the ability and has over the past few years played some wing as well, so if the young kids aren't producing he gives you a lot of leverage to tinker with the lineup.

He's a good leader a proven 2 way center and has the ability to be an offensive threat and chip in as a fill in on the wing with one of the top 2 units.

If it could fit into the cap, he'd be my first choice of the remaining players.

Eklund has some credibility, but you gotta take what he says with a grain of salt. A big grain of salt.

As for the players, my opinion is:

Damphousse, I always liked Vinny. He was an outstanding player for us. If he came back, I would have little compliant.

Savage, Mr.October. No thanks. Savage isn't even a 20-goal man anymore. He is too injure pron.

Selanne, he might be a little past his prime but I think he could fit in very well with Saku.

I can't be bothered with that stuff. It's like trying to catch the wind or chasing shadows. :?- :zzz: :nono:

I just confine the 'speculation' to my 'dreams' and I leave the reality in my trust in Gainey and his gang. :/) :)

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

Whoa man.. I live in Sudbury too! :P

I think the habs are in great position right now! We have 2 good scoring lines and some room for the rookies... if we sign someone else.. the lines would be all messy. IMO the habs are ready to go.

• 6 months later...

Yes Eklund is a moron!!!!

But I came across this in his blog today and couldn't hate him anymore..................for now

EKLUND QUOTE-referring to what teams were winners at the trade deadline.

"

The Canadiens

Moving Jose`s salary was huge, although everyone expected that this would trigger another move. They went for it trying for both Bertuzzi and Jokinen... Aebischer needs a new start and is the perfect back-up for Huet. This will set the Habs up to make some key pickups in the offseason. Still the Habs will be a threat this year...I have always said they will be a play-off team and I predict that that should they draw Ottawa in the first round the Sens will be one and done."

Rumours are roumors.

I don't know if Eklund is a liar I like to read some of the blogs on has site even so. I find Spectorshockey and his comments good and The Fourth Period posts what's allready known.

But do I rate them after accuracy? No. They report things that are being discussed. If Eklund has 5% right then it should be OK since about 10% of the deals that are being discussed goes down.