The Hockey News bashes Montreal, again

Leafs Suck

The Hockey News season preview contains the following: (no I didn't buy it, read it somewhere else)

-No habs in the top 50 players in the league (Theodore should be IMO).. including Kirk Maltby

-6 Goalies made the list, so what they're saying is Theodore is not even a top 5 goalie in the league

-Habs get a C-, while Toronto, along with teams like Florida and Phoenix, get a much better rating.

The toronto Hockey News has been a joke for years. They've been anti-Montreal for a while now and all this does is prove the point.

[Edited on 2005/9/9 by Leafs Suck]

Big deal!

These are the same guys that give their ratings on draft-age players and rate some as virtual surefire stars.

Later, when a team has picked these same surefire star prospects and then these prospects don't work out, guess who readily says that those teams picked poorly at the draft?

What two-faced garbage!

:ghg::ghg::ghg::ghg:

[Edited on 2005/9/9 by shortcat1]

:o

much to my surprise, Shortcat 1 actually has made an intelligent point.

I would like to know where they had ranked Calgary or Tampa Bay 2 years ago at this time.

Furthermore Bob Makenzie (the face of Hockey News) had egg all over his face this past draft when he had no idea as to who was going to draft who.

:-^up yours Hockey News.

Originally posted by matsnaslundsuperfan

:o

much to my surprise, Shortcat 1 actually has made an intelligent point.

What! It's you again! Why don't you get off of my back! It's getting to the point that I can't sleep anymore! My wife says that I should go and get counselling! I told her: "No way! I'm not going to admit this in public! I've got a reputation to maintain! No one's going to know that I'm not really a mild, gentle, loving, kind-hearted, gracious, peace-loving individual.....

ooops....

I think I just let the cat out of the bag............

CRAP!!!! :wall::wall::wall::wall:

Ps. To HW management All apologies. I will try harder and refrain from anymore negative comments towards your esteemed member.:bow:

:hlogo:

Ya, there he goes again! Suckin' up to the powers that be in order to make me look bad. I can't believe this! Is he getting away with this? That schmuck just says what needs to be said in order to get away with terrorizing me! Arrrghhhhhhhhhhh! :wall::wall::wall::wall:

matsnaslundsuperfan:

last time I checked Bob McKenzie last wrote for the Mag. 5-6 years ago. Bobby is a full time TSNer right now.

Not to mention one of the best (along with Cuthbert, Millen, and Mguire (sp)) hockey analyst in the business.

According to his bio on the tsn web site, Bob has been an associate editor for The Hockey News for the last three years. Yes I agree he is an excellent analyst for the sport. However, he and everyone else associated with this 'smut' of a mag will be eating their words. How dare they!!! Habs are a lot better in my opinion than they think. C- to a team who made it as far as they did in the playoffs 2003. This is essentially the same team. Get real! I can't believe I'm getting upset over such stupidity.:?-:?-

Of all the draft lists that were made, the TSN list, compiled in large part by MacKenzie was easily the closest. Bob may be a lot of things, but what is isn't is ignorant of the draft and of young talent. That's where he's at his best, and I think it'd be hard for *anyone* to challenge him there.

As to the Toronto Hockey News....

'Nuff said.

Anyone who rates Toronto highly this year is really going out on a limb. If there's one GM who won't get the benefit of a grace period because of the new rules, it's Ferguson, who has done some pretty daring things. That team is in large trouble and I would say might struggle to make the playoffs.

Interesting to note the difference between the average Leaf fan and the average habs fan. The average Leaf fan will ALWAYS think they are challengers for the Cup. (Uh huh. Well over a quarter century and still dreaming.) While the average habs fan criticizes his team to no end. How DARE Lafleur not score three tonight. Two isn't good enough. And if you think that comment is exaggerating things, ask an old-timer habs fan.

Colin

I agree!

The Habs will "prove' most people wrong this year, but let me play devil's advocate a little here.

You are an analyst and looking at all the teams. Here are the Habs with out of the 12 forward positions you have at least 3 spots (including a second line spot) being battled for by at least 6 unproven prospects (including Dags, not for me as I believe he'll continue his scoring this season, but most have doubts so I'll include him in the unprovens).

Further, you have a defense corps of no names (aside from Souray, who has only 1 good year to his name and Markov and Komi who should/could be a force this year).

So, ya from the outside I can see why everyone looks so down on the habs, but I still don't buy it. Everyone is in to Calgary this year and they've only really netted hamrlik from opeing roster of two years ago, but they've proven what they can do, so people believe now.

Habs can potentially have a better D than Toronto, have a better goalie and the scoring will probably be even. So the Habs should be better than the leafs.

...although he may still have a financial stake, since his father (now deceased I believe), was the founder and long time owner of the publication. Whatever, you can't slag Bobby Mac for his hockey smarts. He is far and away the most astute, and least biased, hockey writer out there.

As for the Habs, the boys in Vegas have them at 22-1 to win the Cup, which places them 17th among the 30 teams in the league. That is probably the best fix you can get at the moment on where they fit in the scheme of things.

Theodore is hugely overrated in my books. I used to be a fan, but he has done nothing since signing his huge contract following his Vezina season. I can't disagree on his not making the top 50, and can't see him ever regaining his status.

I suscribe to HockeyNews and receieved a yearbook (contains perdiction , etc...) Anyways I was really annoyed after reading it. Regarding the game's top 50 players, WHY is Brendan Morrow rated above Saku Koivu, Kovalev, Souray, Theodore, Ryder, Rebeiro??? Like what the heck??? An then the team info section...And I quote

DESCLAIMER: THE FOLLOWING QUOTES DO NOT REPRESENT THE VIEWS OF THRB

FRANCE ASSESMENT C+

"Like Edmonton, Montreal had a long run of first round flops.But quality picks later on offer balence."THN

Other teams...

Atlanta B-

Edmonton B-

L.A. B-

Toronto B-

NYI c+

[Edited on 2005/9/10 by TheBigRedC]

Koivu, Kovalev and Theodore are all better than Morrow, Maltby and several others who the Hockey News put on their "top 50"... They have no busniess calling themselves the hockey news IMO.

Either

a) They're a bunch of Leaf fans, if so call yoursel the Toronto Love Fest News

B) Like I stated before, if you honestly thirk Kirk Maltby is a better forward than Saku Koivu and Alex Kovalev then you clearly know nothing about hockey

Ok....

I've had time to lick my wounds over the comment I've made about Bob Mackenzie.

He as an editor of this (as many of you have put it) a "biased" magazine. So to you all who think of him so highly, enjoy this propaganda and consider yourselves leaf fans...... I've said enough. I'm on to another topic. :hlogo:

I've said enough. :hlogo:

Yahoo! Hourrah! Yeah! :clap: :clap: :clap:

i think they just analyse by *what's on paper*... like if u look at pittsburgh's lineup, u will be very positive vs habs, a so-so team... ON PAPER!!!

but what really counts is on the ice! for pittsburgh, most of the guys never had never played together so the chemistry will be very important for that team~ if we look at the habs, the *important* elements are still there (koivu / zednik / theodore / ribeiro / ryder / bouillon, etc.) they know themselves pretty well so the chemistry is already there~

i'm not saying that pittsburgh is not a good team, but it's gonna take a few months to adjust themselves and be comfortable~

so from what i see, i think habs should get a higher rating than a C-~ i would give them a B at least ;)

GO HABS GO!!! let's win the cup and K.O. all the anti-habs hehe

Although the ranking had me annoyed at first I looked closer and there are 2 rankings. The first is for the organization on the ice and the second is for the organization for the future ( draft picks coaches etc.) I personally think the Habs will remain a C+ until they learn to score more goals.:hlogo: