TSN.ca's 2005-2006 NHL Preview

les_glorieux

it's pretty lousy preview if you ask me, but worth posting i guess. it also has a depth chart and a payroll tracker in the link at the bottom of the page.

Montreal Canadiens

General Manager: Bob Gainey

Coach: Claude Julien

2003-2004 Record: 41-30-7-4, 7th East

Goals For: 208

Goals Against: 192

Power Play: 17.2% (10th)

Penalty Killing: 82.5% (22nd)

Scoring leader: M. Ribeiro (65)

Goals leader: R. Zednik (26)

Assists Leader: M. Ribeiro (45)

Additions: C Radek Bonk, G Cristobal Huet, F Peter Vandermeer, D Mathieu Dandenault, D Johnathan Aitken, D Jeff Paul.

Subtractions: G Mathieu Garon, D Stephane Quintal, F Andreas Dackell, D Patrice Brisebois, C Jim Dowd, F Jason Ward, F Darren Langdon, C Joe Juneau.

Ready for Prime Time?: D Ron Hainsey, RW Marcel Hossa, RW Andrei Kostitsyn, RW Alexander Perezhogin, D Mark Streit, C Chris Higgins.

They said it: “I want to be here as long as possible and even though I know they have won a lot of Stanley Cups here, I plan to bring another one to Montreal.” - Forward Alex Kovalev, who signed a four-year deal with the Habs.

The 16-month lowdown:

The Canadiens were already trying to improve their roster prior to the lockout, acquiring centre Radek Bonk from Ottawa. He will be an effective third-line pivot provided he can use his size well. After years of booing from the upper deck of the Bell Centre, GM Bob Gainey finally punched Patrice Brisebois' ticket out of town and replaced him with a more reliable Mathieu Dandenault - a blueliner/winger at a much lower price. But the biggest splash was re-signing forward Alexei Kovalev. With a full season ahead for him in Montreal, Habs fans will be expecting a repeat performance from the 2004 playoffs. The pressure will also be mounting on GM Bob Gainey to sign captain Saku Koivu to a multi-year contract. The second line will have to step it up a notch, as Mike Ribeiro and Michael Ryder must show that 2003-04 was no fluke. Jose Theodore had a great season in 2003-04, and with a new contract in hand he is expected to take his successes into the postseason.

Think about the future:

Young Andrei Kostitsyn is an inspiring story for the Canadiens. The Belarussian winger has had a lot of adversity to overcome with his epilepsy, but both he and the team believe the condition is under control. If he does, Canadiens fans have a lot to look forward to. Forward Alexander Perzehogin may also make the jump, as well as centre Chris Higgins. The Canadiens also have depth in goal, with Yann Danis and 2005 draft pick Carey Price waiting in the wings.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=5184

[Edited on 9/14/2005 by les_glorieux]

[Edited on 9/14/2005 by les_glorieux]

Originally posted by les_glorieux

Ready for Prime Time?: D Ron Hainsey, RW Marcel Hossa, RW Andrei Kostitsyn, RW Alexander Perezhogin, D Mark Streit, C Chris Higgins.

yeah kinda interesting that they have him right here, on the depth chart, but not on the additions section.

Well it had no mistakes and it wasn't purposely putting down the Habs in any way. It looked alright.

I'd like to see what they put for the Leafs though.

"Additions: F Jeff O'Neill, C Jason Allison, D Alexander Khavanov, C Eric Lindros, G Jean-Sebastien Aubin, C John Pohl, F Mariusz Czerkawski, D Brad Brown.

Subtractions: C Joe Nieuwendyk, F Tom Fitzgerald, F Gary Roberts, F Alexander Mogilny, D Brian Leetch."

I think they forgot a few subtractions. This makes it look like the Leafs improved.

[Edited on 2005/9/14 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

TSN = The Stupid Network.

They hire Leaf clowns that know nothing about hockey to analyze other teams. All of us could do a much better job as this seems to be a fair forum to other teams. We know how bad our team was in the past, but that was the past and this is now. We also give credit to teams that build contenders and I know I like watching players like Joe Sakic, Joe Thorton and many others from all different countries.

I am just waiting to see when they hire Tie (Useless) Dummy for his hockey smarts to comment on hockey. He would only have two words... Uhhhh.. Drop Gloves :)

Thanks for your insight Dummy!

100% agreement with you on that one...it's like they had a writter offering him one liners, and they told him to work them into his rebutles. He sounded more disjointed than Paul Abdul.....

McGuire is pretty good though....very pro-Habs.....