Umm , 1st in the Eastern?

johnnyhasbeen

Originally posted by johnnyhasbeen

Possible and within reach, tied of course but hey it could happen. Who'd a thunk.

Go habs.

I don't understand what you mean here. I take it that it's about the coming season's final standings but it may also mean the pre-season standings.

If it's the pre-season standings, I do believe that this will be the case if they beat Ottawa again tomorrow. To be more precise, they would win 1st place based on the fact that they have a better mutual win/loss record.

If it's the regular season's final standings, I would be pleasantly surprised. Ottawa is still a powerhouse (potential weakness in the nets). Philadelphia will surely make a strong bid at it (potential weakness in the nets, on defense, young players & injuries). Tampa Bay will still be a force (potential weakness in the nets and in team chemistry). New Jersey is always a factor in this issue.

Don't forget, Montreal has potential weaknesses also. The young ones may struggle with the stress of the roughness and length of the season. The defense may not be sufficiently up to the task. Injuries are always lurking around the corner (especially for Koivu and Souay.

On the whole, we'll see.

Guess what? Sheldon Souray's been injured. The same wrist that kept him out of action for an extended time.

Hmmm........ :?-

Originally posted by Le démon brun

Souray' been injured? How do you know this

It was announced on RDS according to Jordy 11.

I was referring to the pre season, we could end 6 and 2 tied with Buffalo And Ottawa in the east with a win tommorrow

Buffalo is doing that well? Interesting... I guess Vanek is having quite an impact for them. I know that pre-season stuff isn't necessarily a reflection of what the regular season will bring but, nevertheless if, for Buffalo, it's a positive indication then that'll make Montreal's conference an even tougher one, probably the toughest one in the league.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Originally posted by shortcat1

I was referring to the pre season, we could end 6 and 2 tied with Buffalo And Ottawa in the east with a win tommorrow

Buffalo is doing that well? Interesting... I guess Vanek is having quite an impact for them. I know that pre-season stuff isn't necessarily a reflection of what the regular season will bring but, nevertheless if, for Buffalo, it's a positive indication then that'll make Montreal's conference an even tougher one, probably the toughest one in the league.

If you mean the toughest DIVISION in the league then you're right. They have been for the past few years. The only division to bring four teams to the playoffs, I believe.

Anyway, ya, I heard about Souray's wrist. Does anyone know how serious it is?

And The Habs will only have a shot at number one iun the league if they can somehow win their tough division. Boston and Ottawa will be tough to beat. But even then I think Philly will be first and Tampa might finish ahead.

I was thinking, Tampa might not do so well, this year. Despite them losing their star goalie and breaking up their dominant first line there is another even bigger loss. Tampa Bay has always been in the worst division in the league. Now, Atlanta and Florida don't suck so much so they won't constantly hand TB the Ws. There's still Carolina and Washington though. This division is a joke. No wonder TB does well.

I don't think we can compete for first with ottawa..unless hasek collapses

I think we could easily finish 4th with better stat than the third position

this season, with all the back to back games, we'll see who has the most caracter because it'll take lots to win those two game series

Interestingly, I'm watching a program on RDS TV covering the teams of the Northeast Division.

Likely there's a local boy bias. They see Montreal being better than Boston... ok.

The 'surprising' thing is that they believe that Toronto will NOT make the playoffs (again, maybe local boy bias). One 'expert' says 5th and the other 'expert' says 4th but both agree that Toronto will NOT make the playoffs.

That'll be a shock for the GRAND MAJORITY of the people that I know around here in blue & white land.

The USA Today pseudo-hockey analyst ranked the Habs 10th in the Eastern

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/colu...ontgomery_x.htm

10. Montreal Canadiens:  Each year at this time, I long to write flowery prose about this great franchise, and how it is going to re-emerge as a force in the league. Alas, once again this year, I cannot do that. Despite a fine goaltender (Jose Theodore) and two young up-and-comers (Michael Ryder and Mike Ribeiro), the Habs are just too deficient in most areas to have a realistic chance at the postseason. The additions of Radek Bonk (his first full season with Montreal) and Mathieu Dandenault will help some, but not nearly enough.

Hello? :wall: :wall:

That guy doesn't have a clue

1st, Theodore is more than a "fine" goaltender.

2nd, he forgot to talk about the addition of UFA Kovalev, one of the league's pure talent. Kovalev was only there at the end of the year. Imagine what he can do to this time over one season. The Koivu line will be amazing. Koivu will fly on the ice! I'm so happy for him, finally a prime time player on his side! And Zednik isn't bad as well.

Adding Bonk was amazing move. Our 3rd line with Bulis and a young energizer will be really good againts Division rivals. Bulis is at maturity. Bonk is really solid during the regular season. (we'll worry about post season later)

And a player who I expect to make a really big impact is Komisarek. I'm pretty sure he'll develop into a big part of our defence this year.

Habs on 10th position? You gotta be kidding!

:ghg:

[Edited on 2005-10-4 by sakiqc]

What's better is that he calls the Leafs UFA signings "blind faith" and that their D has holes, and questions Belfour's effectiveness. He basically says the only thing Leafs fans should be excited about is the progression of youngsters like Stajan.

Did I mention he picked the Leafs to finish 5th?