Mandatory Visors

Pierre the Great

When are they going to adapt this? Is it going to take someone to die by getting hit by a puck for the Don Cherry's of the world to come to their senses? I'm sad to say I think that will be the case. Look how long it took them to put a safety net behind the glass, it only happend because a poor little girl on her birthday had to die. And its got to be a star player, my example of this is nascar. Nascar refused to have mandatory head and neck restraints because the drivers said they could not see (kind of like the excuse the players give today). But what happend, a legend who was adamently aposed to these devices had to die for nascar people realised that the safety device saved lives. So who has to die for the NHL comes to their senses about visors.:?-

"So who has to die for the NHL comes to their senses about visors."

Pierre the great, I think you supplied the answer with the question. One day someone may die and the trajedy will bring change.

The new NHL is about skill, checking and speed. The goon mentality I believe is now way overblown. Dallas took a 7 minute gooning penalties last night and lost the game. I expect Tie domi to cost the Leafs at least two games this year due to dumb goon type penalties.

Smart players will adopt the visor. Better than looking like Matts right now, Yikes..

Smart players should wear them but it shouldn't be mandatory. If someone wants to risk looking like Sundin than they should be able to. Is it mandatory for players to wear shoulder pads? No but I bet a lot of players who have been injured without them. This is a different case though because a visor hinders the players ability to play hockey. Some guys try it but can't play as well. Their lives are playing hockey and if they can't play with visor, then I'd guess they'd rather play hockey with one eye then play golf with two.

[Edited on 2005/10/10 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

I dont buy that argument that it hinders playing ability. Forsberg and Jagr where visors and it has not effected them. AND university of montreal did a study and came to the conclusion that the modern visor does not hinder play. Another thing is that kids these days play in full masked visors and last time I looked they really didnt have any problems. But as I said before it takes a legend to be killed by a puck to cause change. And goonism has nothing to do with a puck hitting you in the face. Another example is that the machoism still exisits in this sport aka Don Cherry. For another example is that ww1 fighter pilots would not where parachutes because it was being a sissy. The same thing happend when baseball players started wearing helmets and when Jacques Plante did his best jason impersonation.

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

Dallas took a 7 minute gooning penalties last night and lost the game.

It was well deserved.

And after seeing injuries like Berard, Yzerman and Sundin and the league still hasn't taken action....you have to wonder how stupid the head honchos really are.

Alfredson said it best, "you only get two eyes and you should do everything to protect them."

Just wondering, who doesn't wear a visor in the Habs?

All I can think of now is Dagenais and Kovalev. I think Begin too but I'm not sure.

Originally posted by simonus

i thought kovalev was some floating euro... doesn't that mean he has to wear a visor? /sarcasm

Don't forget about Dagenais too. He's one of those French people Avery referred too also.

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

"So who has to die for the NHL comes to their senses about visors."    

Pierre the great, I think you supplied the answer with the question.  One day someone may die and the trajedy will bring change.  

The new NHL is about skill, checking and speed.  The goon mentality I believe is now way overblown.  Dallas took a 7 minute gooning penalties last night and lost the game.  I expect Tie domi to cost the Leafs at least two games this year due to dumb goon type penalties.

Smart players will adopt the visor.  Better than looking like Matts right now, Yikes..

That always seem to be the case. Whether it be something in sports, or highway safety or airplane or space shuttle accident (though that doesn't always mean immediate changes - inertia still has it's hold).

I don't know how someone will die from not wearing a visor (maybe the puck driving the nose bridge bone into the brain - sorry about the graphic thing). So, if we're 'waiting' for someone to die, it'll likely be a long time.

Originally posted by Pierre the Great

I dont buy that argument that it hinders playing ability. Forsberg and Jagr where visors and it has not effected them.  AND university of montreal did a study and came to the conclusion that the modern visor does not hinder play.  Another thing is that kids these days play in full masked visors and last time I looked they really didnt have any problems. But as I said before it takes a legend to be killed by a puck to cause change. And goonism has nothing to do with a puck hitting you in the face.  Another example is that the machoism still exisits in this sport aka Don Cherry.  For another example is that ww1 fighter pilots would not where parachutes because it was being a sissy.  The same thing happend when baseball players started wearing helmets and when Jacques Plante did his best jason impersonation.

I agree with most of it except for the argument about Jagr and Forsberg wearing visors. They wore visors all their lives. You can't just start after 10 years of being the best players in the World. It takes time to adjust, if ever. Look at goalies. They would be able to play much better without helmets. The scoring would go right down. BUT since pucks are aiming straight at them and their JOB is to get in front of them it wouldnt be too smart to take off your helmet. I doubt any of them would take it off if they became optional. Players should wear visors but it's no my problem if they don't want to. There's no need to force them.