our favourite hab?

mathieug

"We all love saku, kovalev is a wonder, perezhogin, higgins and plekanec are the future and andrei markov is a quiet talent- but for fun delivered per minute played, for courage, for letting it all hang out? We'll take steve begin." -Jack Todd, Montreal Gazette 24/10/05

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by The Iron Lung

It's Saku... by a mile... hard nose players like Begin are great to have... but Saku is the man.

obviously Koivu is the public face of the team. He will get the awards, the stars and the national plaudits...

but Begin is ours. Fans outside montreal don't really know about him, and that endears him to us all the more.

You are watching a game with the opposing team's fan, he's a reasonable guy (in spite of his bad choice of team) and he talks about his checking line's ability to shut down the koivu line. He worries about his shooter's ability to pepper Theo. He wonders if Bonk's line will nullify his top scorer. He notes that our defense is league-average. He notes... BAM - some small guy rocks his captain into the board. Staggering, he wonders if this #22 is trying to showcase for a trade. His confidence is restored as his team goes on the PP. His team takes the zone, passes back to their heavy shooting defenseman at the point, a sonic boom echoing as the slapshot erupts from his stick and... what? a blocked shot from #22? Well, at least that guy must be out of the game with some cracked ribs... A few more shifts later and BAM! - #22 gets on a break with #35 and oops? did 22 just score? What? He's still in the game? Wow... who is this guy? How much are you paying him? You picked him off waivers?!?!?

Begin.

Portugese produces good soccer players while Quebec produces good hockey players that want to play for the Montreal Canadiens and Ribeiro is as much Quebecois as any Quebecois can ever be.

As far as this posted question conscerning ''my'' favorite habs player and not '' the popular favorite '' wrightly suggested by innimitable Jack Tod......I would have to say Kovalev.

If I think about which players would I most missed if injured.......it would be him.

Always been Koivu. There is no one in professional sport I'd rather see succeed!

Begin and Bulis are behind Koivu but are definitely my 'next' favorite Habs!!

Big one tonight against the Rangers, can't wait to see how we rebound!

Go Habs Go!

Interesting that nobody has mentioned that guy who wears #60.

For me, Kovalev. I love the fact that he WANTS to play in Montreal, and has proven to be a hard worker, a good influence in the dressing room and almost a mentor to Markov and Perezoghin. He's basically everything that everyone told us he wouldn't be when Gainey made that trade. Oh yeah, he's pretty good at hockey, too.

I can see myself growing to love Perezhogin and Komisarek in the next few years. Also, I found myself mesmerized by Kostitsyn at the World Juniors last year when he basically single handedly beat the US.

it's pretty tough to rank them, but i put koivu a bit higher than bégin. he's the captain, he's got the experience, he's shown he can inspire the team, he will inspire in the future.

bégin is just as tough and committed, but i believe that some of his iron will is inspired by the captain.

Originally posted by simonus
Originally posted by The Iron Lung

It's Saku... by a mile... hard nose players like Begin are great to have... but Saku is the man.

obviously Koivu is the public face of the team. He will get the awards, the stars and the national plaudits...

but Begin is ours. Fans outside montreal don't really know about him, and that endears him to us all the more.

You are watching a game with the opposing team's fan, he's a reasonable guy (in spite of his bad choice of team) and he talks about his checking line's ability to shut down the koivu line. He worries about his shooter's ability to pepper Theo. He wonders if Bonk's line will nullify his top scorer. He notes that our defense is league-average. He notes... BAM - some small guy rocks his captain into the board. Staggering, he wonders if this #22 is trying to showcase for a trade. His confidence is restored as his team goes on the PP. His team takes the zone, passes back to their heavy shooting defenseman at the point, a sonic boom echoing as the slapshot erupts from his stick and... what? a blocked shot from #22? Well, at least that guy must be out of the game with some cracked ribs... A few more shifts later and BAM! - #22 gets on a break with #35 and oops? did 22 just score? What? He's still in the game? Wow... who is this guy? How much are you paying him? You picked him off waivers?!?!?

Begin.

Awesome. I'm going to frame this if it's OK with you, that's just what steve B is all about, great!

I met Jean Beliveau at the airport in Toronto yesterday...from what my Dad and others say about him, and looking back at his great career, maybe he should be our favorite habs...his reputation as a gentleman and statesman for the game seems well founded, as he seems to be a very humble, approachable man, and seems greatful for his fame...current players would do well to use Mr. Beliveau as a role model, I think.

Intrestingly, i don't really have a favourite who stands above the others. I like an awful lot of them for one reason or another.

There was a time when I did have a 'favourite' (Bobby Rousseau, Yvan Cournoyer, Guy Lafleur, Bob Gainey, Guy Carbonneau, Saku Koivu, etc... but now, my perspective seems to be more team-wide.

So, on that note, my favourite Habs personality is Fozzy, the Flying Frenchman Bear! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

shjf

Originally posted by shortcat1

Intrestingly, i don't really have a favourite who stands above the others. I like an awful lot of them for one reason or another.

There was a time when I did have a 'favourite' (Bobby Rousseau, Yvan Cournoyer, Guy Lafleur, Bob Gainey, Guy Carbonneau, Saku Koivu, etc... but now, my perspective seems to be more team-wide.

So, on that note, my favourite Habs personality is Fozzy, the Flying Frenchman Bear! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

shjf

Must be nice having a bear with you, I got these rotten bats following me around tonight for some Trick or Treat reason....

Interesting that nobody has mentioned that guy who wears #60.

Choosing a goalie as your "favourite player" is no fun. Sure, goalies are integral part of Stanley Cup teams, but it just seems more exciting to follow a favourite player that can score, check, pass etc.

I recently wrote in asking A Concerned Fan to get off Theodore's back. His "work ethic" comments about Ribeiro sadden me even more.

Work ethic? Who the hell cares. Like Allen Iverson has work ethic. It's called talent.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

Work ethic?  Who the hell cares.  Like Allen Iverson has work ethic.  It's called talent.

And how many titles has Iverson helped his team win?

Zero.

It's not all about talent. Staying in the area of basketball, look at a guy like Larry Bird. Certainly not the most naturally skilled player in the world, but because of his amazing work ethic, he became one of the greatest players to game has seen.

Hard work is just as important as skill. If you aren't putting it the time, your skill isn't going to mean nearly as much.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Work ethic?  Who the hell cares.  Like Allen Iverson has work ethic.  It's called talent.

Zero.

It's not all about talent. Staying in the area of basketball, look at a guy like Larry Bird. Certainly not the most naturally skilled player in the world, but because of his amazing work ethic, he became one of the greatest players to game has seen.

Hard work is just as important as skill. If you aren't putting it the time, your skill isn't going to mean nearly as much.

Well said and I would had that hard work makes you a leader and an inspiration for your teamates. Those type of players are the ones that make CHAMPIONSHIP teams, not just good teams.

I would take 21 hard working average players that are united vs. 21 non working skilled selfish players.

This is to comment on what you said about "who cares about hard work", its not about what I think of Mike Ribeiro, whom I like. Great creativity and passer but still commits dangerous passes sometimes (although improving over the years) that create 2 vs. 1 and 3 vs. 2 against us.

As for my fav player, Kovalev. He's proud to be a habs and I'm proud to have him on my team. This guy as nothing to do with all these rumors of being lazy and not always showing up. What a goal tonight. 2nd in 2 games. My friend kept telling me last week that Kovalev was playing well but that he wasn't scoring a lot so I had to remind him that Kovy scores by bunches and told him to wait, it was just a matter of time. Smells like a few more goals in the next few games for Kovy. I predict 2 vs. Luongo tomorrow.

Good night all !

Careful there! Two goals from the same guy against a well-rested Luongo is an accomplishment. But after seeing Kovalev's amazing goal tonight (combined with all his others) I think's possible. Hopefully Bulis will get his third goal of the season. I want 20 goals from him but he just misses too many shots. Kovalev should help him out on his shot.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Zero.

see 2004 Olympics Basketball -i.e. Puerto Rico v. US