Points Up

Begin&Higgins

Not sure if anybody else cars, but the Leafs lost to the Caps tonight leaving us 7 points up on them after 15 games. We are also 9 points up on the ninth place team (buffalo). That sweep of Buffalo was huge.

I know some people find it exciting if Montreal is fighting for a playoff spot in the last week of the regular season, but I have no problem if they can clinch a spot with about a month left.

They have looked strong lately. I know they're only winning by 1 goal, but the fact is they are WINNING. Playoff success is often based on who wins those 1 goal games.

Anyways, I have a paper to due for the University, so I should get back to that. Just wanted to point out the fact that we're 4.5 games up only 15 games in.

Go HABS Go :hlogo:

It is very very important that we have this good start. I don't expect the Habs to finish first overall in the East (love to be wrong about that), so when it comes down to the last month, 5-10 points can make a HUGE difference in the standings.

And we have put a lot of points in the bank that will make a difference when that time does come -- basically if we play .500 for the rest of the season (some overtime losses in there) we end up with 95 points and therefore make the playoffs.

Plus, echoing the recent theme of the board, isn't it noce to look down, way down below us, and see the leaf flapping away there?

When have you ever not looked down at the laffs? Seriously? That team has sucked since the dawn of time. It's a marketing machine. With their corporate fan base, they should have been able to buy a cup by now.

The habs look good. They've looked good for the past couple of seasons (just the way we've kicked boston's ass for the last couple playoffs).

Clinch early, clinch often!

As I've stated before, I do but I also don't understand this fixation on the sorrows of the leafs and the leafs fans.

I suppose it could be the rebirth (or a new growth) of the old Canadiens/Leafs rivalry.

It may be a response to some abuse or perceived abuse by the 'Leafs Nation'.

It may be some other less 'noble' reason.

Yes, I do dislike some teams (Boston, Philadelphia, New Jersey and, in the past, Québec) but I don't relish in seeing their losses or sorrows. I don't remember ever doing that. My reaction to their losses, if my memory serves me well, was always as a function of an advancement of my team. Whenever a sense of rejoicing over their losses would come up, I'd remind myself that this kind of thinking was not acceptable.

Anyways, there you go. On the one hand, I sort of get what's going on with this stuff but also, I can't wrap my heart around it. :?-:eyes::?-:eyes:

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

I mostly agree shortcat. While I do enjoy a good Boston or Toronto loss, I like to just take them as a consequence of their existence. I enjoy the rivalries, but I do not define my Habs-love through leafs-hate. Maybe it'd be different if I lived in TO (I certainly got a little more obsessed with the Bruins rivalry when I lived in Massachusetts) , but I don't care enough about the leafs to check their boxscores every game.

[Edited on 11/7/2005 by simonus]

After being abused by all your schoolyard peers who were consequently all Leafs fans, who drove it home to you everyday that the Habs suck and so do the French in general, it's a lot easier for myself to relish in a Leafs loss, but hey, that's just me. Yay for cultural diversity and acceptance in BC?

Originally posted by shortcat1

I also don't understand this fixation on the sorrows of the leafs and the leafs fans.

I think it's called "schadenfreude" and it's a perfectly normal feeling, or so they say!

I work in a downtown montreal hotel, nearby the bell center.

just five minutes in the hotel and you already wish that they were dead.

they think they just own the place because they're from TO, and the eay they destroy the place afterwarts...unreal. never have I seen such things coming from boston, or sens fans.

thats why it's always cool to beat them, they're pathetic

I don't think anybody prefers fighting for a playoff spot over having a playoff seed guaranteed.

And as much as we may wanna pick on the Leafs, the Habs are only .500 against them so far this year. Before we go abusing them, lets make sure the Habs beat em a few more times

The city of Toronto has NO CLASS. They dump their garbage (real garbage) anwhere but in Toronto and tell us in other communities we have to take it. They have no knowledge how to recycle or unwilling to push it into law.

The fans are just JERKS period. I have no ill will to the players as they are just doing their job. The fans and the rhetorical nonsense written by the Toronto sports media makes me wonder how any of them graduated junior public school. I have a Colorado Avalanche "Official" NHL leather jacket(Long Story) and when I wear it you should hear the filth and disgusting comments from their fans. Its a game, who cares.. But the fans and media...hehehehehe... I love to put them in their place if I can. Just call me a s**t disturber, it's fun. Nothing personal as you might think....

As someone who has lived in and around Toronto my whole life I can tell you exactly why I despise the Leafs.

It has nothing to do with the actual organization, as poorly run as it is. It has everything to do with their fans and their media. Now, I'd be willing to simply overlook the media but Toronto fans are just brutal. More so with hockey then the other sports. The worst thing about the media is it's fixation on the Leafs...and yes, I do understand that it's a "market" issue. But having national media outlets(TSN, Sportsnet/Score) force us to listen to 25 minutes of Leaf highlights/interviews and 45 seconds of every other Canadian team is ridiculous in the extreme.

Leaf fan homerism is rampant, they love goons over everything else, and are all Don Cherry wannabes. They refuse to see the organization uses them...MLSE simply puts out a competitive product and fans flock in droves. They win 2 games in a row and they act like they're going to the cup. They are brutal in their comments if you're not a Leaf fan but they can't back anything up. This is the TYPICAL Leaf fan...though not all are like that.

Now, having said that, I don't define my being a fan of the Habs as being a hatred of the Leafs. It's not like how most Canadian citizens define their love of Canada by saying we're not Americans...lol. I honestly couldn't care less about the Leaf organization but I truly hate listening to idiotic Leaf fans on the radio/tv and despise having them forced down my throat by the media.

Well I am not sure what Toronto's garbage situation has to do with hockey? But they are a huge metropolitan area that is running out of places to put garbage. As the driving force of the Ontario, and even Canadian economy, some would say we have an obligation to help them out. Now of course no one wants someone else's garbage in their backyard.

Also, its not just Toronto that can't recycle. The rest of the cities in the province, other provinces and North American in general has made a pretty piss poor effort in recycling. So don't blame them for that. Theres just no money in it. The only thing worth recycling is Aluminum as it costs so much to produce it, its cheaper to recycle it. Most newspaper and carboard we throw up ends up in landfills because there too much of it and not enough money in recycling programs to recycle it all.

And as for Toronto fans being jerks, it doesn't say much for us calling them jerks or beating up on them. THere not all like that. I have plenty of leaf fans as friends an co-workers and while we have a good natured rivalry I wouldn't classify them all as jerks.

Its like some of the other posts have said. Don't define your being a Habs fan by hatred of another team....or you'll turn to the dark side...Star Wars anyone?

Originally posted by Mont Royale

Voices of reason, simonus and shortcat1.  Where have you been?  I got 'jackbooted' over on the Leafarazzi thread for saying the same thing! :(

;)

We were sitting back, enjoying a cool drink and betting how many more you could take to the kidney before you went unconscious.

Simonus won. I had to pay him by getting him a poster of Tie Domi poster and a signed rookie card of P. J. Axelson. Don't tell him but I got them off of eBay (and I had my kid brother sign "To Simonus, my biggest fan, with all my love, P.J" on the card. :D

Hope you don't mind, there was nothing personal about it... ok? ;)

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

I also don't understand this fixation on the sorrows of the leafs and the leafs fans.

I think it's called "schadenfreude" and it's a perfectly normal feeling, or so they say!

"Shameful joy" may be normal but is it necessarily right?

Voices of reason, simonus and shortcat1.  Where have you been?  I got 'jackbooted' over on the Leafarazzi thread for saying the same thing! :(

;)

We were sitting back, enjoying a cool drink and betting how many more you could take to the kidney before you went unconscious.

Simonus won. I had to pay him by getting him a poster of Tie Domi poster and a signed rookie card of P. J. Axelson. Don't tell him but I got them off of eBay (and I had my kid brother sign "To Simonus, my biggest fan, with all my love, P.J" on the card. :D

So that's why people were laughing at me at the weekly Per Johan Love Club meeting!

Voices of reason, simonus and shortcat1. Where have you been? I got 'jackbooted' over on the Leafarazzi thread for saying the same thing! :(

;)

Well, OK. I would have done the same thing - the stakes were pretty high, after all. :lol:

Originally posted by PurpleHills

Here's a tip, change the channel

Yeah, because it's real easy to find a hockey highlight package that doesn't overly focus on the Leafs...lol

Really, the problem is that you CAN'T change the channel and still get the highlights or coverage you want to receive.

I also still don't understand why the NHL Centre Ice packages are so broad...why not have the ability to subscribe to just your teams games at 1/3 of the packages cost which would actually make them more money per game shown. Hell, even Leaf fans get their own channel and I just don't think there are THAT many more of them across the country then habs fans.

Or why is Sportsnet still forced to blackout games outside of the region the game is played in. In today's global village there are fans of all types in all cities...blacking out games is useless nowadays and probably hinders the game more then anything. I think it shows how out of touch the NHL really is with it's fans.

And now I've rambled on long enough on a new tangent...lol