Todd Marchant on waivers...

Haboholic

u guys think it would be a good idea to pick him up? i guess our roster is pretty full, but hes a pretty good veteran, he hasnt put up great number in the past 2 seasons, but that was with columbus, 3 years ago with edmonton he had 60 points. i wonder what he would be able to do with the canadiens on the ice and off the ice.

I think Marchant would be a good addition for MTL.

Really speedy & Veteran Leadership.

But he makes 2.4 millions $ for this year and the next two. And where do you put him ? He's a Center and I don't see him fitting anywhere else than the 3rd line, which is occupied by Bonk.

I'd like to have him, but highly unlikely ... unless Bob trades a Center for a defencemant ... Ribeiro anyone ?

check here to see some info on Marchant: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?i...hl-blue_jackets

would this help to make a decision easier?

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Come on, do we really want a Columbus cast-off?

Anyways, he fell out of favor with management during the lockout. They took down his poster off the side of Nationwide Arena because he was a union rep.

[Edited on 11-16-05 by Fanpuck33]

Yeah true that I don’t want him and I don’t want to let go of ribero. He will become more consistent I hope and when he is playing well he is really on his game. When bonk and bulis come back he might get a healthy scratch likes last season to give his head a shake.

pparently he was supposed to go to Anaheim in the trade but he declined waiving his no-trade clause because MacLean wouldn't tell him where he would be traded to.

Originally posted by Haboholic

can someone plz tell me why u guys wanna keep ribeiro so badly???? he hasnt proved anything yet, if he doesnt produce until the olympics u could see him out of montreal!!

Because he's a good player with good potential who can play when he wants. He's doing fine now and is, I think, 4th in team scoring (he'll pass Kovalev though), and is controlling the puck well behind the net (as usual). He gets the second assist on a lot of goals and goes unnoticed. And he probably has less trade value than he has skill.

can someone plz tell me why u guys wanna keep ribeiro so badly???? he hasnt proved anything yet, if he doesnt produce until the olympics u could see him out of montreal!!

So what exactly would you like to do with him?

Trade him? If so, tell me who you would trade him for. And don't be vague, I want a good idea what you think his trade value is.

Cause your saying he sucks. So if he sucks, then he's probably not going to bring much in return. And if he doesn't bring much in return, why trade him in the first place?

RIbeiro is fine. He's playing better and hopefully will continue to show a better work ethic and better defensive zone play

nothing will happen to ribs until we're in saku's status. If he stays for many years then ribs becomes expendable.

we could trade for a big guy like christ gratton...just kidding

Was he not our leading point getter the last season that was played. I think that's pretty good proof that he has the ability to be a star on this team

he kinda did lead the team in scoring last year... that some proof...

im sorry, i still think ribeiro is overrated, maybe because hes french canadian? who knows?

i never said anything about what we should do with him, thats bob gaineys job.

ribeiro goes far too unnoticed thats his problem! his bad shifts outweigh his good shifts... lets think out of 20 shifts a game... maybe he gets 2-5 good ones in there? and hmmmm... -5 doesnt look too good either. 11 out of his 16 points are on the powerplay, yes thats pretty good, but it also shows how he gets shoved around on even strength, he needs room to do anything. the problem is he cant create the room he needs, he needs his opponent to give it to him gift wrapped!

habaholic:

First, as far as I know Ribs is more Portugese than Quebequois.

Second, do you think he is over-rated because he is 'French Canadian' or do you think other people over-rate him because he is percieved to be FC and plays in Montreal?

If Marchant goes to the minors and CBJ call him up we could claim him while taking a much smaller cap hit, but I think--although he is a useful player-- we dont really need him

Originally posted by PMAC

habaholic:

First, as far as I know Ribs is more Portugese than Quebequois.

Second, do you think he is over-rated because he is 'French Canadian' or do you think other people over-rate him because he is percieved to be FC and plays in Montreal?

If Marchant goes to the minors and CBJ call him up we could claim him while taking a much smaller cap hit, but I think--although he is a useful player-- we dont really need him

I don't know what you mean by that.

If you mean that he's from Portugal then that's incorrect, he was born in Montreal.

If you mean that his mentality is not French-Canadien but more of an 'immigrant' perspective, then I'd hate to see what all of those Europeans & Americans will do attitude-wise. They might just as well say to themselves (when the going gets tough) "What the heck... this is just a French-Canadien team. I don't belong and I couldn't be bothered anyway... they aren't my people.

If you mean something else, I'd be curious as to what it would be.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Shortcat, I wasn't making any comment about Riberio's mentality at all. I was just asking for clarification about the previous post.

My remark about his ethnicity was based on what I read somewhere that his parents immigrated from Portugal which would at least part of his background Portugese, even though he was born in Montreal. As far as I'm concerned Ribs nationality or ethnicity really has no place in a discussion about his play and that is what I should have said.

My post was an attempt(obviously not a very good one ) to ask what Haboholic meant.

I don't care where the Habs players come from as long as they are loyal to the team and play hard, although I do like to see them have some talented French-Canadien players as this has been a team tradition since the days of Howie Morenz.

Getting back to Ribs, I dont know why people want to trade last season's leading scorer, but as I've noted on other threads Habs fans as repesented by this board are not an easily pleased lot

[Edited on 2005/11/17 by PMAC]

Im saying because hes french canadian there is definitely favoritism with ribs. now im not saying its a bad thing, cause i myself like to have some talented french canadian players on the team. but, if he was from anywhere else than quebec, i think u would hear some more bitching, he is definitely a fan favourite. he had one good season and ppl were raving to kick koivu off.

theodore is a different case, we always bitch at our goalies.

i really hope ribeiro does pick it up at some point, i just dont see him being as good as last season.

I've been a long-time lurker and fan of this site for many years as it seems to be one of the few habs sites of some intellect, articles, topics, forum members.

But I know as a collective fan base, we Canadiens fans are an impatient, critical bunch and this fast start has only heightened our cup lust and paranoia of the team. But I think this year, rather than in previous years, this team has some real chemistry and heart.

I think this year, for Gainey, is the year where he sees if these young guys like Ryder and Ribs and the rooks like Pergy, Pleks, Higgins are either for real or not. Especially for Ryder and Ribs who really have the potential to be not just the present but the future for the team---all you loud grumbling detractors out there, I know that hurts. :) So I don't think bringing on a guy like Marchant will happen as all it does is harm the development of our younger guys. I think the team has real talent on the forward front, the D of course is another story and I think this will be the only real possible change during the season.

I think Ribs is playing well. Is he on his game on all the time? No. Does he seem to be maturing on the ice? From all the games I've seen and heard, he appears to be. He, like most of this team is fairly young and it will take some time---whether everyone likes it or not. :)

:hlogo:

[Edited on 2005/11/17 by joliat]

[Edited on 2005/11/17 by joliat]