What's Marchant's option's now?

kw11habs

:hlogo: Just wondering if anybody can tell me what takes place with Marchant now that he's cleared waivers if he's available to any team I'd love to have him instead of Bonk for a third line centre and then we could ship Bonk & prospects (Streit & Hainsey?) for a second line winger. I don't like what Bonk brings to the table and he never performed in the play-offs with Ottawa, where as you know you'll get 110 % from Marchant and he's a great faceoff man and will take it to another level come play-off time.

Second line wingers I'd love to see with Ribs, & Ryder. Brendan Morrow or Jamie Langenbrunner are two that come to mind.

If Marchant was two or three inches taller, then I'd take him in a second. Even though speed is infinitely more important than size in the NHL these days, it doesn't mean that size doesn't matter. Bonk is one of the only big players we have. It's too early to give up on him. We KNOW he can play better offensively, it's just a matter of him doing it.

What's wrong with Higgins on the second line? I quite like what I've seen so far from him.

Marchant is now in the AHL

Columbus has a tough choice. If Marchant's in the minors then they have to pay him his full salary of $2.5M. If they call him up, he has to go throguh waivers again. He can either be a) claimed off waivers (good for CBS) or B) they pay him half his salary but it goes against the cap.

So it's either 2.5M out of the team budget or 1.25 against the cap.

Langenbrunner is a great player and he might be on the block because NJ is over the cap but I remember him having a big contract. Morrow is decent but the question is why would Dallas move him?

I'd keep Bulis or Higgins over Marchant any day. And both are young, cheaper and better.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Marchant is now in the AHL

Columbus has a tough choice. If Marchant's in the minors then they have to pay him his full salary of $2.5M. If they call him up, he has to go throguh waivers again. He can either be a) claimed off waivers (good for CBS) or B) they pay him half his salary but it goes against the cap.

So it's either 2.5M out of the team budget or 1.25 against the cap.

Thanks for the info on Marchant, also I like Bulis and Higgins but we need another finisher around the net, we should be scoring twice as many goals as we've been scoring but we're not finishing. Even the loss last night to Washington we could of had 7 goals with the great chances we had. I love Bulis as a third line player. Bulis, Marchant & Begin. And then have Plecanek, Higgins & Perezhogin as fourth line but give them ice time. Even if short handed Plec & Higgins are great. Send Dags to Hamilton and either bring up Ivanans as a fourth line replacement for Perezhogin in games we need him or if he's not the guy go get P. Worrell. I now he can't play but he's as tough as they come and there's no way we'll get thru Ottawa with Neil & McGratton or Toronto with Domi & Belak when it comes to crunch time (play-offs)

Belak's been a healthy scratch for 6 consecutive games before last night. Even Toronto's finding out that he sucks. Ottawa could be a problem though because they can play AND are tough too. But Ivanans is good enough. He'd scare Domi away for sure. And don't forget that Souray, Komisarek and Rivet also know how to fight. Just in case. And Bouillon is one of the best checkers out there. Then we have Bulis and Bégin who throw big checks around.

I think the waiver situation works like this:

1. Marchant stays in the AHL. CBJ pay his full salary, but it doesnt count against the cap

2. If they call him up and he clears waivers he's back on the team and they try (again) to make a trade

3. If they call him up and another team claims him CBJ have to pay half of his salary and it counts against the cap.

Any way you look at it they lose, just like the Devils are paying Krystov Oliwa an NHL salary to play in the AHL

TSN is reporting that Columbus is putting Marchant on recall wiavers. This means that any team that picks him off the waiver wire will only have to pay half of what reamins on his 2.5 million salary for the rest of the season. Columbus will pay the other half and have it charged to their salary cap. Of course, whoever claims him will be stuck with his 2.5 million contract for two more seasons after this one. I think Anaheim will claim him. We'll know by Monday afternoon.

Well, Marchant already cleared waivers but if they call him back up I doubt Anaheim would claim him. He was originally supposed to be sent to Anaheim in the Fedorov deal but he ended up being cast away. Now with Fedorov they have to get rid of Marchant. Anaheim wouldn't want his salary. They took him out of the trade because they don't want him.

Originally posted by option+

If Marchant was two or three inches taller, then I'd take him in a second. Even though speed is infinitely more important than size in the NHL these days, it doesn't mean that size doesn't matter. Bonk is one of the only big players we have. It's too early to give up on him. We KNOW he can play better offensively, it's just a matter of him doing it.

What's wrong with Higgins on the second line? I quite like what I've seen so far from him.

What's 2 or 3 inches taller got to do with anything. I think your on the wrong site, you should be on the basketball site.

Well, Marchant already cleared waivers but if they call him back up I doubt Anaheim would claim him. He was originally supposed to be sent to Anaheim in the Fedorov deal but he ended up being cast away. Now with Fedorov they have to get rid of Marchant. Anaheim wouldn't want his salary. They took him out of the trade because they don't want him.

the story i heard was that anaheim wanted him but Marchant wouldn't waive his no-trade clause since the Columbus GM wouldn't tell him where he would be going.

At half the price I'd imagine Anaheim would still want him. I did hear that if Anaheim picked him up the NHLPA would file a complaint that COL has worked it to screw Marchant out of his no-trade.

[Edited on 11/21/2005 by simonus]

Interesting - they can just put a player 'on waivers' without sending him anywhere. I wasn't an expert on the old-NHL rules, so I don't even know if this is a change to the rules. Anybody know?

I'll probably never figure out the NHL player movement rules, kind of like I can't seem to post a link that works (thanks simonus). Ah, but that's why I'm an accountant, I suppose!

Waivers is a mechanism put in to help both the owners and the players.

Firstly, the players wanted that in to ensure that veterans won't get the send down-call up procedures of years ago, when managers would simply move the player between the NHL and minors at their will.

For the teams, waivers allow them to offer the player, one last time, to all the teams, and teams who wouldn't want to give up a player, can nab him for free (aside from the minimal transaction fee).

Teams must place specified players on waivers, but that placement does not require sending that player down, in fact, teams have a time limit (I believe its 48 hours) to send the player down, if not then the waiver clearance is not applicable any longer.

Another little detail, teams must pay a small fee, last CBA it was 50,000, for every player picked up. It went to the league, I believe.

Originally posted by simonus

the story i heard was that anaheim wanted him but Marchant wouldn't waive his no-trade clause since the Columbus GM wouldn't tell him where he would be going.

At half the price I'd imagine Anaheim would still want him. I did hear that if Anaheim picked him up the NHLPA would file a complaint that COL has worked it to screw Marchant out of his no-trade.

[Edited on 11/21/2005 by simonus]

Yep, the no trade clause story was right. I heard it on TSN but I forgot it. I just remembered that he was taken out of the trade.

If Marchant's dumping salary why would they want him?