2006 Entry Draft And Marc Staal

BTH

About Marc Staal - I keep hearing that he's predicted to be a top 5 pick in this year's draft but he was selected 12th overall by the Rangers in the 05 draft. Am I hearing about Jordan Staal being drafted into the Juniors in the top 5?

Now that we've seen most of the talent (and there's a lot) that the 2006 draft has to offer, I'm wondering who you guys think will be taken early. Sure it's early but with the World Juniors going on people have a picture of who the youngsters are.

1. Phil Kessell

2. Jonathan Toews

3. Erik Johnson

That's as far as I'm able to go. I'm not sure who's eligible for this year's draft. The main question is who will be chosen first overall. Some (Pierre MacGuire) say half the teams in the NHL would choose Toews over Kessell. From what I saw in the WJC, Kessell is the better player. To me this will be another deep draft year and if the Canadiens end up with say a 20th pick overall we should get a decent player.

Kessel was projected to be the first overall pick since last year. I doubt Toews will challenge him for the first overall pick.

As far as the Staal player your wondering about, it's Jordan Staal, and yes he was predicted to be picked within the top five picks.

• 2 weeks later...

To answer my own question:

1. Erik Johnson

2. Jonathan Toews

3. Phil Kessel

4. Michal Frolik

5. Peter Mueller

Notables are Czechs Jiri Tluty and Tomas Kana.

Top rated goalie is Jonathan Bernier.

Niklas Bakstrom is the second highest rated European.

Sorry, I forgot a couple of names so I'll update this later.

About Marc Staal - I keep hearing that he's predicted to be a top 5 pick in this year's draft but he was selected 12th overall by the Rangers in the 05 draft. Am I hearing about Jordan Staal being drafted into the Juniors in the top 5?

Now that we've seen most of the talent (and there's a lot) that the 2006 draft has to offer, I'm wondering who you guys think will be taken early. Sure it's early but with the World Juniors going on people have a picture of who the youngsters are.

1. Phil Kessell

2. Jonathan Toews

3. Erik Johnson

That's as far as I'm able to go. I'm not sure who's eligible for this year's draft. The main question is who will be chosen first overall. Some (Pierre MacGuire) say half the teams in the NHL would choose Toews over Kessell. From what I saw in the WJC, Kessell is the better player. To me this will be another deep draft year and if the Canadiens end up with say a 20th pick overall we should get a decent player.

Jordan is the one who's draft eligible this coming draft. He's playing for the Peterborough Petes right now. Jared is the one who's still playing in his home town of Thunder Bay. He's the one who's 15 years old and eligible for the OHL draft. Some are saying that Jordan, a forward is not as good as Eric but that Jared is probably the best of the bunch. We'll see.

I've read from a couple sources that this draft won't be as deep as the last few. Although I don't think many drafts can rival 2005. 2003 and 2004 had a lot of hype over their depth too.

The top 5 or 6 is very good, but after that there's a drop and you're in gamble country.

just for the fun of it, who do you think will be picked up by mtl.. we'll probably select between 15 and 20 ...so don't say erik johnson ....

just for the fun of it, who do you think will be picked up by mtl.. we'll probably select between 15 and 20 ...so don't say erik johnson ....

I have no idea who's projected to go that late. I only knw the top 10 and then Jonathan Bernier who the Habs don't need.

I'll say Derrick Brassard. Good enough to be late 1st rounder, and has incredible chemistry with Latendresse. After the top 8-9 guys, its pretty much even across the board. Brassard would'nt be too much of a reach passed the 20th pick.

From Red Line Report:

One player who dramatically improved his stock in both the CHL/Russia series and subsequent games was Drummondville Voltigeurs center Derick Brassard. Red Line Report was in Drummondville for the first game of the Russia series, and we saw him again one week later as the Volts took on Acadie-Bathurst. In the two games, Guillaume Latendresse scored seven goals (though it easily could have been 10-11), and Brassard was the set-up man on all seven occasions. One always seems to be able to find the other on the ice with no looks or spoken words. Bang!: Out of nowhere — it's just automatic.

Memo to the Montreal Canadiens: Trade off your entire draft if you have to, but do whatever you must to bag Brassard at next summer's draft. That kind of special chemistry between linemates is rare, so reuniting the two homegrown talents at the NHL level could lead to some very special results.

Brassard could easily have been overlooked by Team Canada's world junior selectors, but his gritty effort against Russia while playing with a soft cast on a damaged wrist/forearm earned special notice. The shifty pivot is proving his stats are no fluke and he seems to get better every week. Though he was not selected for Canada's final roster for the Junior Worlds, his camp invite was well deserved.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/colu...ort_x.htm#top10

This being said, what the Habs need is defensemen. There's not too many good ones in this draft. You got Johnson who's head and shoulders above everyone else, and after that its very thin. My personnal philosophy is that if you have a positionnal need, you trade for it, not draft for it. I think Gainey actually needs to trade some forwards for some defensemen, not draft them and then have to wait 3-4 years for them to become NHL rookies. We need them now.