Carey Price in the NHL/NHLPA player assistance program.

GHT120

According to this article, Waite suggests the issue is indeed mental health (understood as something not connected to addiction) and - as I suspected - that the loss in the Finals was an aggravating factor: https://www.markerzone.com/news/index.php?no=58934&fbclid=IwAR2qnXZGaYvxMWFuYGx-P3y7AX9Xb26GOkzGs4V4KlCz9hCeHoAtZ58hvak

Carey is probably just like the rest of us: he feels that the Run of ‘21 was likely his last, best chance at a Cup and this knowledge has been hard to carry. 

I recall an interview with Mike Peca, years after his retirement, when he was asked if he ever thinks about his team’s loss in the Finals. Peca replied that he thinks about it every single day of his life. That really stayed with me. Some guys struggle to get over it and never really do.

of course I am not saying the loss is the only factor. There would have to be a pre-existing condition and there may be other aggravating factors (e.g., the injuries are probably demoralizing too). It’s a poignant thought, however.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

According to this article, Waite suggests the issue is indeed mental health (understood as something not connected to addiction) and - as I suspected - that the loss in the Finals was an aggravating factor: https://www.markerzone.com/news/index.php?no=58934&fbclid=IwAR2qnXZGaYvxMWFuYGx-P3y7AX9Xb26GOkzGs4V4KlCz9hCeHoAtZ58hvak

Carey is probably just like the rest of us: he feels that the Run of ‘21 was likely his last, best chance at a Cup and this knowledge has been hard to carry. 

I recall an interview with Mike Peca, years after his retirement, when he was asked if he ever thinks about his team’s loss in the Finals. Peca replied that he thinks about it every single day of his life. That really stayed with me. Some guys struggle to get over it and never really do.

of course I am not saying the loss is the only factor. There would have to be a pre-existing condition and there may be other aggravating factors (e.g., the injuries are probably demoralizing too). It’s a poignant thought, however.

I didn't check Waite's take, but it makes lots of sense.

I also remember Price spending time earlier this year with native communities on the wake of the residential "schools" mass graveyards found. With his mom being a (past? present?) band chief, that may have also started him down a path of self reflection and self worth evaluation compounded by the loss in the finals.

I know that those two factors would make me vulnerable.

I truly hope Price makes a full recovery

22 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I didn't check Waite's take, but it makes lots of sense.

I also remember Price spending time earlier this year with native communities on the wake of the residential "schools" mass graveyards found. With his mom being a (past? present?) band chief, that may have also started him down a path of self reflection and self worth evaluation compounded by the loss in the finals.

I know that those two factors would make me vulnerable.

I truly hope Price makes a full recovery

Yes, that is a very good point too (my wife made the same observation about the residential school atrocities and their possible effect on Price). 😢

Get well soon, Carey Price.